Pizza!

Old Dec 4, 2002, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Pizza!

Well, gregseattle asked for it, so here it is:

1. For Manhattan, you can never go wrong with Abitino's - very fresh ingredients, hot, crisp crust. A runner-up would be my favorite healthy fast food, Le Rendezvous, with locations at 47th and 8th Avenue, and 30th and Lexington.

2. In Brooklyn, there are two places I like: I can't recall the name off the top of my head, but it's way down in Bay Ridge on Third Avenue south of 86th on the West side of Third - for those who don't know, this is part of Brooklyn's big Italian area (adjacent to Bensonhurst), so it's hard to go wrong with pizza around here. The other place is Sam's Pizza, on Lorimer near the Metropolitan L Stop - great cheese blend and crisp crust, and they aren't cheap with the toppings. One other place is Tony and Concetta's Driggs Avenue Pizza, at Driggs and North 7th - again, fresh ingredients (EVERYTHING is made from scratch) - getting hungry now...

Thick crust is referred to as Sicilian pizza here, and usually is nothing more than a focaccia-type crust with a coating of tomato sauce and cheese topping, but done right, is the most satisfying pizza, especially when it's cold (like today).

[This message has been edited by anonplz (edited 12-04-2002).]
Old Dec 4, 2002, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In Brooklyn, I like Bad Boy's Pizza...just take the W to the Bay Parkway/86th Street stop and you will be in pizza heaven.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 8:39 am

I believe anonplz is referring to
Spumoni Garden in #2.

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/11350504

Ill also add Nicks Pizza in Forest Hills to the list.
http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7416966/
Old Dec 13, 2002, 8:16 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Little Frankie's' Pizza in lower Manhattan (village?), on Second Avenue between 5th and 6th. Oven is made of bricks imported from Italy. The oven was built by 3rd generation oven builder from Naples, Italy. Opens at 11:30am till at least 9pm.

Had two pizzas that I VERY VERY much enjoyed.

Margherita - just a roasted tomato sauce w/garlic, no cheese, very thin crust w/crunch. The tomato sauce was heavenly, almost had a smoke flavor to it.

Traditional - same incredible sauce, w/a light touch of cheese, nothing like a typical cheese drenched pizza. This was very good, but I really enjoyed the Margherita.

We also tried the Bruschetta. Bread is grilled (so it's nice and crunchy) topping is chunky roasted tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil. WOW!
Old Dec 13, 2002, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
ljp,

That's L&B Spumoni Gardens. It is the best pizza in Brooklyn after Totonno's in Coney Island.

Dan
Old Dec 23, 2002, 9:07 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

You will not believe this, especially since I was born and raised in Brooklyn...

Turvino's in Glen Rock, New Jersey.

I highly recommend it.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Carnarsie,

Avenue I and East 52.
Tilden '71. And you?
Old Jan 1, 2003, 7:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhammer53:
Carnarsie,

Avenue I and East 52.
Tilden '71. And you?
</font>
Hey, former neighbor!

High School of Art & Design, 1981
South of Seaview Avenue near the Rockaway Parkway exit of the Belt Parkway.

I once went out with a girl who lived on Schenectady Avenue between Avenues I and J. I probably passed your home almost every day for few years!

By the way, remember Herbie's Restaurant on Flatlands Avenue and Avenue J? Remember Benson's burgers on Ralph Avenue and Flatlands Avenue? How about Wetson's burgers on Flatlands Avenue and East 78 Street? And I remember when South Shore High School was nothing more than a vacant lot.

Sorry I did not answer sooner.
Old Jan 2, 2003, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Canarsie:
[B] Hey, former neighbor!

-----------------------------------------------------My sister and family still live on East 91st and Ave. N. My mom moved to East 85st by Ave. M.

I once went out with a girl who lived on Schenectady Avenue between Avenues I and J. I probably passed your home almost every day for few years!

-----------------------------------------------------
Several years ago on a UA flight, one of the flight att came over to me to tell me that one of the other F/A's 'tawked' just like me. I just figured a Brooklynite. Turns out she grew up on Ave I and East 45 st! She really did 'tawk' like me.

By the way, remember Herbie's Restaurant on Flatlands Avenue and Avenue J?

-------------------------------------------------------
As a kid growing up, Herbies had many different names prior to, and after they closed. It was a neighborhood joke.

Remember Benson's burgers on Ralph Avenue and Flatlands Avenue? How about Wetson's burgers on Flatlands Avenue and East 78 Street? And I remember when South Shore High School was nothing more than a vacant lot.

-----------------------------------------------------
And don't forget that they sold newspapers on that corner for years.

By the way, if you read the Community boards, you'll see that we meet every so often. Come join us.
By the way, do a search for the dhammer53 Brooklyn Reality Tour on the Community boards. You'd be proud of me.

Dan

Old Jan 11, 2003, 10:39 pm

took me a while to check back, but Thanks! to anonplz and others ...

It looks like I've got some more yummy reasons for a trip back to Brooklyn!! (though my client is in dumbo and there isn;t only but one pizza joint really nearby there) (I forget name, nothing to write home about)
Old Jan 16, 2003, 9:13 am

I have an aunt who used to live on Ave L near Rockaway Pkway.
Is Grabsteins still there?
Old Jan 20, 2003, 4:13 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ljp99:
I have an aunt who used to live on Ave L near Rockaway Pkway.
Is Grabsteins still there?
</font>
Grabsteins closed several years ago.

There are no more Kosher delicatessens in Canarsie anymore. The closest one is Mill Basin Deli on Avenue T near Ralph Avenue.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 6:24 pm

Thats sad
I have fond memories of that place.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
Grabsteins closed several years ago.
There are no more Kosher delicatessens in Canarsie anymore. The closest one is Mill Basin Deli on Avenue T near Ralph Avenue.
</font>
It's 2 storefronts over on Ave T & E 59th St.

It was around the corner from where I grew up! I spend a LOT of time on that corner. I remember when it was just half the size that it is today. Still has lots of Erte prints all over. AND, the food is still good. I miss their hot dogs & knishes.

Mary

[This message has been edited by Mary2e (edited 01-29-2003).]

Old Jan 29, 2003, 2:40 pm

Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
Hey, former neighbor!

By the way, remember Herbie's Restaurant on Flatlands Avenue and Avenue J? Remember Benson's burgers on Ralph Avenue and Flatlands Avenue? How about Wetson's burgers on Flatlands Avenue and East 78 Street? And I remember when South Shore High School was nothing more than a vacant lot.

Sorry I did not answer sooner.
</font>
Hey, another Brooklynite over here

And I still remember Benson Burger & Wetsons That was before Brooklyn had McDonalds. But the best pizza place in Brooklyn was M&N (aka Ruby's) on Flatbush & Flatlands. Still can't walk up and get a slice as good as there's anywhere.

BTW I'm still digesting a Benson Burger hush puppie.

LaGuardiaguy

edited for typo

[This message has been edited by laguardiaguy (edited 01-29-2003).]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.