Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

The best food in New York?

Old Mar 13, 2003, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp

For the last few years two places were always (always) on the agenda whenever we were in New York, Grammercy Tavern and Gotham Bar and Grill. Both seemd to me the epitome of what a New York eating experince was like. Professional service, high quality food, Gotham the more sparking theatre style food enviroment; Grammercy more sedate and food focused. So, what else is out there that would match these two for a combination of killer food, consistent excellence and simply style?
Old Mar 13, 2003, 11:17 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

There was an excellent Spanish restaurant on Bleecker Street which had a paella that could feed two people, but I regret that I forgot the name of that restaurant. I don't know if it still exists. I apologize.

However, while New York is known for its incredible dining experiences in Manhattan restaurants, I liken the following individual foods and drinks as being quintessentially and gastronomically New York (which includes the outer boroughs):
  • Kosher Delicatessen.
  • Bagels and bialies that are hot and fresh.
  • A hot dog and fries from Nathan's Famous in Coney Island.
  • Pizza from a real pizzeria.
  • Hero sandwiches.
  • Carvel ice cream, shakes, or ice cream cakes.
  • Egg creams made with U-Bet chocolate syrup.
  • Dr. Brown's soda - either cream or Cel-Ray, which is celery flavored.
  • Fresh baked goods from a real neighborhood bakery.

...and, last but not least, the absolute best water on this planet: New York City tap water.

I am sure I am missing quite a few other food items that others can add to this list, or I can add to this list later.

And while they did not have the absolute best food, I sure do miss Windows On The World at the top of the World Trade Center.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 12:43 pm

Programs: Level 5 Kayaker
A few suggestions to add to your short list of quintessential New York restaurants:

Old New York:
* Keene's Chop House
* La Grenouille
* River Cafe in Brooklyn
* Gage & Tollner in Brooklyn: they've reopened under new management. I haven't eaten there since the reopening but assume they retained the ambiance. It was fab when Edna Lewis was the chef.

Newer New York:
* Aquavit
* Union Square Cafe
* Oceana
* Vong
* March
* Match

I've omitted relative newbies, tried not to sway too far from the "feel" of the two establishments you mentioned, and ordered them as they occurred to me.

Old Mar 14, 2003, 12:48 pm

Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent
Canarsie,

If you remember the old Nathan's Coney Island you will be very disappointed. It's just a fast food, order by meal number joint now.

Laguardiaguy
Old Mar 14, 2003, 6:54 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by laguardiaguy:
Canarsie,

If you remember the old Nathan's Coney Island you will be very disappointed. It's just a fast food, order by meal number joint now.
</font>
Order by number??? Wow, it has been years since I have been there. Very sad.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Daniel!
Old Mar 15, 2003, 9:55 pm

Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
Order by number??? Wow, it has been years since I have been there. Very sad.</font>

Yes, very sad.

Gone are the incredible french fries in the paper cone, the pork tenderloin w/relish and chow mein on a bun sandwiches. (Too all who haven't had them they were much better than they sound.)

The terrific hot corn and cold watermelon stand is gone as well. So is the waiter service room.

The amazing clam chowder lost its zing and now tastes like tomato water.

OTOH Mrs. Stahl's still makes the best potato knish on the planet so there is some hope.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 10:44 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by laguardiaguy:
OTOH Mrs. Stahl's still makes the best potato knish on the planet so there is some hope.</font>
I do miss those Shatzkin's potato knishes though...
Old Mar 16, 2003, 3:36 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Bouley Bakery !
Old Mar 18, 2003, 7:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
I do miss those Shatzkin's potato knishes though...</font>
Canarsie,

You have been gone way too long. Shatzkin's is no more.

Laguardiaguy

Old Mar 20, 2003, 12:58 am

Canarsie,

You have been gone way too long. Shatzkin's is no more.

Laguardiaguy

</font>
No I haven't.

Shatzkin's was gone well before I moved out of New York.

I still miss them, though....
Old Mar 20, 2003, 1:07 pm

I agree with Constant Motion.
Grammercy Tavern and Gotham are my favorite, too.
Especially Grammercy's tasting menu at lunch and Gotham's pri-fix lunch are among the top values in NYC.
Daniel is great, but it should be with that price. (I admit their atmospher, food, services are all first class.)
Old Jan 8, 2004, 6:47 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by coplatua1k:
Daniel!</font>
January 15: WNYC talk show host Leonard Lopate interviews Daniel Boulud (Daniel, Caf Boulud) and David Bouley (Bouley, Danube) about what it takes to be a great chef (8:15 PM; 92nd St. Y, at 1395 Lexington Ave.; $25; 212-415-5500, or go to www.92Y.org for tickets).

from Zagat.com
Old Jan 8, 2004, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Daniel Boulud has a book out, letters to a Young Chef.

Tyler Cowen draws some interesting insights from the book.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">It has long been a puzzle why certain commodities receive a higher "mark-up" than others. Why is popcorn so expensive at the movie theater? Why is wine so expensive in fine restaurants?

Daniel Boulud, one of New York's leading chefs (Daniel, Cafe Boulud, and DB Bistro Moderne), addresses this question in his recent memoir Letters to a Young Chef. Boulud tells us that wines make up 30 percent of revenue in his restaurants and have a mark-up of two to three hundred percent.

John Lott and Russ Roberts (yes, that is the John Lott) once raised the possibility that a high drinks price is a way of charging those people who wish to linger at the table longer. Boulud offers another explanation based on price discrimination. He (p.62) claims that drinkers of fine wine are "a great clientele," and are "willing to indulge." They will expect "only the finest ingredients," such as good truffles, and are willing to pay for them. By offering these people fancy wines at high prices, you induce them to pay a higher net price for their meal. At the same time you need some acceptable, cheaper wines: "Those [other] customers are your future and you cannot afford to drive them away with the sticker shock of a Greatest Hits wine list."

Boulud also claims that good restaurants are well-situated to invest profitably in wine, thus the special importance of wine for revenue.

The book contains many kinds of advice. Keep your knives sharp, we are told, and if you want to make other chefs happy, serve them a pig's head, not caviar.</font>
Separately, on the subject of best NY food, though I haven't been to either in a couple of years I've always enjoyed Gotham and Le Bernardin.

[This message has been edited by gleff (edited Jan 08, 2004).]
Old Jan 8, 2004, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The best food in New York? How do you answer that? Wow....depends on my mood I guess.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.