Search

Excellent Mexican - Three locations, one Very close to O'Hare

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2002, 5:56 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Excellent Mexican - Three locations, one Very close to O'Hare

There are three (cancel that, now 2 as of 10/2006) Maria's Mexican Restaurants. I have eaten at the Foster location for a few years now. Food is always fresh and very well-prepared. Now that there is a Maria's in my hometown (Des Plaines), I am eating at this location and the food is as good as ever.

The Foster location is also w/in 5-8 minutes of O'Hare airport and the O'Hare hotels.
Simply take 190 out of O'Hare towards Chicago, exit River Rd south, go about 1 mile and turn right on Foster to Maria's.

Standouts for me include: Pollo Mole (grilled chicken breast w/a Mole (roasted Anejo pepper, cinnamon sauce), Carne Asada (GREAT skirt steak) w/Pico de Gallo, Chilies Rellenos (Roasted Poblano peppers stuffed w/either cheese or shredded beef).

Most entrees in the $9-$12 range.
Hours are Tuesday-Saturday 11am-11pm, Sunday 11am-10pm, closed Mondays.

Maria's on Foster
9440 W. Foster
Chicago, IL

Maria's on Harlem
1905 N. Harlem
Chicago, IL

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Oct 28, 2006 at 1:28 pm
Old Feb 12, 2005, 9:27 am

Stopped by the Rosemont branch last weekend on a Hyatt mattress run. My girlfriend was very impressed, and she is a bit of a critic, having lived in a Mexican community in LA for three years.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Hey YYZC2, glad you liked Maria's. I'm so darned cheap that I've been re-visiting all the local taquerias trying to find the best tortas and tacos al pastor. These places make Maria's look a bit pricey which it is not.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 7:46 pm

SW, get out to SoCal much? My girlfriend lived around the corner from the original El Cholo restaurant in N Hollywood and we stop by often - next weekend being the next visit. Love to break bread with you sometime.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYZC2
SW, get out to SoCal much? ... Love to break bread with you sometime.
about 4-5 times a year. I'm sending you a pm.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I've been re-visiting all the local taquerias trying to find the best tortas and tacos al pastor.
Have you tried "Taquieras Arandas" on Oakton, just west of River?? Since this place is very near to the mother-in-laws, its easy to stop by there and pick up an al pastor burrito almost any time......
Try it if you haven't already....

Dave
Old Mar 1, 2005, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
So when are we going? I think we need to try both!!!
Old Mar 1, 2005, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I must admit that I'm not a big tortas fan, but the rest of it sounds terrific.

The taco place across the street from my office is so boring, they don't have al pastor, they don't have tamales, they don't have chorizo... Out my way there's about a half dozen taquerias and three full-fledged restaurants within a ten-minute drive of my house; the mini-chain El Famous Burrito four blocks from my house has the best mix of item consistency and menu variety, but it's a bit workmanlike.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I must admit that I'm not a big tortas fan....
I was never either until I found a place that nails them! Los Compadres on Algonquin (near where Dempster meets Algonquin in Mt Prospect).

refried beans, lettuce, jalapenos, mex sour cream, chorizo, ham, mex cheese, served piping hot on a warm slightly crisped mex bun. I'm drooling thinking about it now.

Hey bseller, Taquieras Arandas does serve a good al pastor but I prefer the tacos (w/soft corn tortilla) as opposed to the burrito. Further west a bit on the same side of the street is a papuseria (sp?). Papusas are filled corn tortillas, I believe a food from El Salvador. Give'em a try, better yet, call me when you are in town and I'll meet you there.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 7:11 am
Original Poster

The “Mexican style” shrimp cocktail is wonderful as an appetizer, chock full of freshly chopped onions, avocado, tomato and of course tender flavorful shrimp in a rich tomato “broth”

The Chilies Rellenos are excellent, cheese is good but their special beef mixture is delicious ^ ^

I still believe that Maria’s serves one of the best carne asadas in Chicago, which is what Mrs. Sweet Willie had.

Maria's also now serves flights of tequila.

--
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Any high-end Mexican?

I'm looking for a place to take hubby for his birthday dinner. He loves Mexican food- are there any high-end or upscale (e.g. around $25/entree) restaurants in downtown Chicago?

GG
Old Oct 26, 2006, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by GeoGirl
Are there any high-end or upscale (e.g. around $25/entree) restaurants in downtown Chicago?
That's an easy one!! You're looking for the place(s) owned by TV-star/chef Rick Bayless. His 'less' fancy restaurant - Frontera Grill - is very very good and almost always packed. Right next door is Topolabampo, also owned by Bayless and a bit more "upscale". I would guess that the $25/entree range would be ok in either place, tho I personally think that Frontera is the better of the two.

Location is (approx) 500 N. Clark, and I'm sure you can find reviews on both by simply googling Frontera Grill...

Have fun and Best, Dave
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would go to Salpicon! over Frontera/Topolobampo.

There's also Zocalo that just opened, but I haven't been yet. Sounds good.

There's also Salbute in Hinsdale which I think is my favorite of them all, but it's not downtown. (That said, downtown Hinsdale is very nice.)
Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Maria's of Des Plaines
1535 Ellinwood
Des Plaines, IL

is closing and set to become a Lalo's which is still part of IDine.

--
Old Oct 30, 2006, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Thanks for the great recommendations! I printed out the menus for several of the places mentioned and let hubby decide. He picked Salpicon.

The food was incredible. The spiciness was at the perfect level and mixed deliciously with the flavors. We had the Sopes Rústicos, enchiladitas de pescado, and the langostinos poc-chu.

Side note story: When I made the reservation for Salpicon at OpenTable.com, I put in the notes that it was my hubby's birthday and if they did anything special for birthdays, we'd appreciate it, as long as it was relatively quiet. So when they brought us our dessert, a young man came over with a dessert plate with a tiny candle burning, put the plate down, then leaned over our table and very softly sang Happy Birthday to Jason, in kind of a whisper singing voice. It was really endearing and probably one of the cutest things I've ever seen done in a restaurant.

We LOVED Salpicon, so THANK YOU to everyone who recommended it!!!

GG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.