Wiki Posts
Search

Bars in Calgary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2003, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Bars in Calgary

I am in Calgary for a few days and was looking for some suggestions as to places I can go for a couple of drinks close to the Fairmont.

On a side note, I didn't know the Fairmont was directly on the CPR tracks?

Help, I'm thirsty.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 11:29 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
You won't hear any trains while in the Fairmont. Had a corner suite facing onto the tracks on the 3rd floor and was silent. T'was Dec31, however.

The bar downstairs actually in the Fairmont is extremely nice. Dark wood panelling and the like.

If you head 3 streets north there are a bunch of pubs on Stephen Avenue Mall (a pedestrian walking zone). The James Joyce is nice and tries to be an Irish pub. The two things missing - Irish people, and all the 'artifacts' are too new.

If you're looking for a couple of microbrews and some Oysters, try the Catch restaurant. The main floor and dining floors have the same menu, and had a local Wildwood pint (simply the best) for $3.75 in happy hour. Its attached to the Hyatt.

Lastly, 341 - 10th St. there's Bass Brothers, a fantastic pub (that has Hoegaarten on tap, yum!). Its on the other side (but not the wrong side) of the tracks, and it is connected to The Whiskey - a 25+ (but only if you're male is that in effect) dance bar that I personally don't like (but I'm not much for the dance dance revolution type music).

There's a bunch of places on 4th street or 17th avenue, but I imagine those are a little to far away from the Palliser. Try www.calgaryplus.ca if you're interested in those, and I'd be happy to give a couple of local suggestions (don't hesitate to email me).

Hope it helps.

O

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stinger:
I am in Calgary for a few days and was looking for some suggestions as to places I can go for a couple of drinks close to the Fairmont.

On a side note, I didn't know the Fairmont was directly on the CPR tracks?

Help, I'm thirsty.
</font>
Old Jun 9, 2003, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Thanks for the info. I went to catch for dinner and it was fantastic. Who knew you could enjoy such fresh oysters in Calgary.

I will try out some of the bars next time I am in town. I ended up at a place behind the Palliser which I don't remember the name but it was directly behind the hotel.

Also, it must have been a great new years. My Junior Suite faced the tracks and let's just say you knew they were there.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.