Old Oct 4, 2003, 1:06 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Nutritious & Tasty in Portland, OR

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Laurelthirst
2958 NE Glisan, 232-1504
I would have instead ordered their homemade veggie burger, which tastes, quite fantastically like it's been made with cornmeal, and succeeds in filling you up.

Nicholas Restaurant
318 SE Grand, 235-5123
Nicholas is a Portland mainstay for very good reason. It's one of the first refuges of local vegetarians and vegans, and it serves a spectacular Mediterranean feast to everyone who pulls up a seat.

Bijou Café
132 SW 3rd, 222-3187
At the Bijou, I usually order the roast beef or oyster hash, both of which are spectacular hearty blends of quality meat and potatoes that aren't bogged down with grease.

O3 Café
701 E Burnside, 227-1975
The Sunday brunch specials vary; last week, it was a salmon scramble soufflé (can be made meatless for the vegetarians) atop a bed of spinach and roasted red peppers, with a side of yummy, fresh-baked bread--all for a tiny $4.50.

Long Island Pizzeria
1012 SW Morrison, 274-0628
The pizza is great, mind you, and can be bought and eaten on the fly. It should not be overlooked, however, that the LIP also serves huge falafels in fresh pita, and a Mediterranean plate that's just as good. The plate comes with five falafel balls, tabouli, dolmas (rice stuffed grape leaves), baba, and all elements are executed with care and skill.

Cha Ba Thai Restaurant
5810 NE Sandy, 282-3970
Cha Ba Thai's salad rolls are the best. All the veggies stuffed inside are screaming fresh and their peanut dipping sauce is perfectly thin and fabulous. Order the Pad Kee Mao with squid if you like life on the wild/spicy side--you'll get a spicy sweet dish with a ton of squid.

Muu-Muu's
612 NW 21st, 223-8169
Yes, Muu-Muu's is hip and trendy. But it also has really good food. The house salad is huge, dressed with a tangy vinaigrette (I only mention this because there is such a lack of good salads in this town). In addition they make tangy drinks with fresh juices, fresh mint, and real ginger ale.

Edelweiss
3119 SE 12th Ave, 238-4411
This German deli delivers unparalleled brats, kraut, black forest turkey, and polishes at their lunch counter and deli. Any sausage (smoked brat, chili cheese, hungarian, dinner frank...) on a bun is a steal at $2.60. The rueben is big enough to share ($4.99).

Corbett Fish House
5901 SW Corbett, 246-4434
Tucked away on a random residential street in the heart of John's Landing, Corbett Fish House certainly doesn't benefit from a hip location. But if you like good ol' fashioned deep-fried fish accompanied by 20-ounce glasses of good beer, mounds of coleslaw, and extremely friendly service, then it might just be worth seeking out.

Bonfire Lounge
2821 SE Stark, 232-3704
Try out the new menu items like the grilled fruit salad with gorgonzola and hazelnuts, the …. Hellfire Burrito, made with mango, beans, cilantro, tomato, and hellfire sauce, or the tortilla-wrapped Thai shrimp firecrackers with a coconut curry sauce. They also offer the really great chicken, apple, bacon burger (all ground together and grilled as a patty). Plus, all this food is served until 2 am!

Urban Grind
2214 NE Oregon, 546-0649
This is probably the best coffeehouse you haven't heard of... yet. They roast their own beans and damn are they tasty!

Mugi's
4835 SW Pomona St, 977-5088
Although it's situated in what used to be a fast food joint, there is nothing cheap or gross about Mugi's food. Delectable sushi is the name of the game here. Super tender tuna nigri and specialty rolls, like shrimp tempura and avocado drizzled in sesame based sauces, make up for the lack of ambiance inside.

Bridges
2716 NE MLK, 288-4169
Slowly but surely, Bridges has become my favorite breakfast place in town. Not only is it in walking distance of my house, but they have a healthy breakfast of grits topped with poached eggs and fresh vegetables like spinach, bell peppers, and onions for $6

Hoda's Middle-Eastern Cuisine
3401 SE Belmont, 236-8325
Hoda's great triumphs come from the oven. Baba gannoujh is smoky decadence for only $3.50 with all the fresh pita you can eat. Oh, and the bread. Baked within seconds of being consumed, it is light enough to float off the plate

La Parrilla
5832 NE Glisan, 246-3417
the cuisine of our neighbors to the South is downright muy bueno. And here in Portland, La Parrilla is one of the best representations of Mexican fare. They have about 20 different dinner plates served with rice and beans;

http://www.portlandmercury.com
</font>

[This message has been edited by Sweet Willie (edited 10-04-2003).]
Old Oct 15, 2003, 9:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Two big thumbs up to Hoda's. Lately I've been eating there every other week. It's the best Lebanese in town and dirt cheap. The owner is the host with the most.

But, oh, Nicholas. Food's fine, but a real dive and in a dicey neighborhood, IMO.

The Laurelthirst is a nice brewpub. Basic food, cozy ambience.

Oh, yes, the Bijou. Great breakfast spot, lots of vegetarian options. Great coffee.

Long Island is kinda of a strange mix of pizza-by-the-slice joint and Lebanese. Better-than-average falafel. They make their pizza crusts from the same recipe as their pita bread so it's nice and yeasty.

I'm skeptical about Urban Grind, but I've never been.

The others I've never been to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.