5 Tony Roma's

6 Outback Steakhouse

7 Reo's Ribs

8 Doris' Cafe

9 TK's Smokehouse & BBQ Co. --CLOSED

10 Yam Yam's Southern Barbeque

Editorial Winner

Cannon's Rib Express
Line up to take out smoky treats in the heart of Northeast.

Editorial Nominees

Clay's Smokehouse Grill
Doris' Cafe
Campbell's Bar-B-Q
Old Oct 15, 2003, 10:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Cannon's and Campbell's are a tie for me.

Haven't been to Clay's yet.

Tony Romas???? They've got to be kidding. It's not very good.

Unfortunately, Doris' has closed.
Old Oct 16, 2003, 1:45 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
As a rib lover, I have been to six of the ten.

Campbells tops my list as it does essx'.

Tony Roma's should be #99
followed by Outback at #100
#98 is probably Chilis
#97 would be any of the all you can eat buffets.

Yes, Doris Cafe has closed.

Reo's in Aloha tastes good except their pork sandwich contains a cup of grease.

For the real thing travel to Tuscaloosa, Alabama for ribs and white bread-no sides other than beer.

If one flies NW, the rib place in MEM is pretty good.

Edit: Busters touts itself as Texas BBQ, it sort of is, but it ain't hill country Texas. The Barbur Blvd. has good sandwiches and pork ends (left over rack ends). The sauce (3 types) reduces the over-all quality of the experience.

[This message has been edited by opushomes (edited 10-16-2003).]
Old Oct 16, 2003, 9:50 pm
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by opushomes:
Tony Roma's should be #99
followed by Outback at #100
#98 is probably Chilis
#97 would be any of the all you can eat buffets.
</font>
Exactly! Outback my @.... &lt;g&gt;

Dining at Doris' was always a tough deal for me: I loved the ribs but the catfish .... oh god was it good.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 10:53 pm
Original Member

Campbell's is an iDine partner, btw!
Old Feb 8, 2004, 3:06 am

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
Missing from this list is a little place called Soup & Soap on the corner of NE Mississippi and Skidmore. For real down home flavor, Campbells is great (& in Idine!), but Soup & Soap is even better IMHO. Plus the classic soul food side dishes can't be beat. Yesterday I had the black eyed peas with the mustard greens. The peas were smooth as butter, the greens were perfectly done and not bitter, and the ribs were sweet, smokey, and tender as I've ever had.
I guess this bumps Outback to #101!
Old Feb 18, 2004, 8:39 pm

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
I recently tried a Cajun restaurant called the Delta Cafe (reviewed here) , 4607 SE Woodstock Blvd. I ordered the barbecued ribs, and was offered a choice of 'red' or 'sweet mustard' sauce. I chose the red, since I wanted traditional 'Q. The ribs were tender and the portion was not small. The ribs themselves were blackened, spicy cajun style, before finishing in the sweet and smokey sauce. Definitely not traditional missisippi style, but very good cajun 'Q. I intend to try the mustard sauce and their 'Q'ed shredded pork po'boy in the near future.

[This message has been edited by HigherFlyer (edited Feb 18, 2004).]
Old Mar 19, 2004, 8:50 am

I went back to the Delta Cafe to try their 'chopped pork po'boy'. Frankly, I was disappointed. The meat was ok, but it was not pulled or even shredded. It was just dry sliced pork roast. Also, it wasn't blackened the way the ribs are. To me it tasted like they just added a bunch of cayenne to some bottled barbecue sauce, then poured it over some pork roast. The bun was the most enjoyable part (quite a good roll actually). Too bad.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 3:56 pm
Original Member

Well you're right HighFlyer about po'boys. That's just not something you can get around here. Although I did notice that a po'boy shop opened up on SW 6th & Alder. It smacks of chain, tho.

I still miss Doris'.

Old Apr 23, 2004, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by HigherFlyer
Missing from this list is a little place called Soup & Soap on the corner of NE Mississippi and Skidmore. For real down home flavor, Campbells is great (& in Idine!), but Soup & Soap is even better IMHO. Plus the classic soul food side dishes can't be beat. Yesterday I had the black eyed peas with the mustard greens. The peas were smooth as butter, the greens were perfectly done and not bitter, and the ribs were sweet, smokey, and tender as I've ever had.
I guess this bumps Outback to #101!
I just heard a rumor that Soup & Soap is now gone. I hope it was just a rumor.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 1:39 am

MORE rumors...

I just heard a rumor that Soup & Soap is now gone. I hope it was just a rumor.
I just heard ANOTHER rumor, that DORIS' IS BACK! at a new location! I will investigate further...
Old Apr 24, 2004, 1:00 pm

I just heard ANOTHER rumor, that DORIS' IS BACK! at a new location! I will investigate further...
Found this web site...
http://www.d-dish.com/
Which lists Doris' Cafe at 3606 N. Williams.
Still investigating...
Old Apr 24, 2004, 4:55 pm

Exclamation The whole story.

Found this web site...
http://www.d-dish.com/
Which lists Doris' Cafe at 3606 N. Williams.
Still investigating...
So Ms. HF & I went looking for the truth about Doris' and soup & soap. We found the new Doris'!!! It is indeed at 3606 N Williams, but it's not open yet. We were told it will be open starting this Wednesday, with a 'grand opening' celebration in about two weeks! ^

So then we went to try for Miss Ella's Soup & Soap. It was closed, with no explanation. The phone has been disconnected.

Now "so hungry we could almost eat at Arby's", we went to Yam Yam's. I had the beef ribs because I've had pork the last 10 or so times, so I wanted a change. The ribs were not as meaty as I might like, but that's what I get for ordering beef ribs! The sauce was sweet & tangy, Not much smoke or spice. Like what I've had around the Georgia/Tennessee region. I had red beans & rice, and collard greens on the side. Ms. HF had Catfish, with Mac & cheese and greens. We also split an order of DELICIOUS southern fried chicken wings. IMHO, the wings were the highlight of the meal.
YamYam's isn't much for atmosphere (see 'Southern Truck Stop' decor), but the food Is great! If you like southern style, this is it.

Last edited by HigherFlyer; Apr 24, 2004 at 5:01 pm Reason: wiping BBQ sauce from my chin.
Old May 8, 2004, 2:08 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Big Daddy's 3001 SE Hawthorne

The other night we went with friends to "Three Doors Down" and noticed a grand opening sign on the building at the NE corner of 30th & Hawthorne. It is called Big Daddy's and I tried it today for lunch.

Sorry folks, it will not be high on my list of BBQ places in town. It is comparatively expensive for what it is and it is only sorta passable BBQ IMHO. Six meaty, but not particularly flavorful pork ribs, 2 sides "peanut hot cole slaw"?? and collard greens and a glass of ice water for $11.45 plus tip. The place has the same non-ambiance it had in its previous incarnations. 4 sauces available in plastic squeeze bottles, Memphis, sweet, Texas Hot and Carolina Mustard. Texas hot has some flavor, but I am not big on squirting sauce on my ribs.

Personnally, if I am on the east side, I'd rather drive the extra distance to Campbells
Old May 8, 2004, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by opushomes
The other night we went with friends to "Three Doors Down" and noticed a grand opening sign on the building at the NE corner of 30th & Hawthorne. It is called Big Daddy's and I tried it today for lunch.

Sorry folks, it will not be high on my list of BBQ places in town. It is comparatively expensive for what it is and it is only sorta passable BBQ IMHO. Six meaty, but not particularly flavorful pork ribs, 2 sides "peanut hot cole slaw"?? and collard greens and a glass of ice water for $11.45 plus tip. The place has the same non-ambiance it had in its previous incarnations. 4 sauces available in plastic squeeze bottles, Memphis, sweet, Texas Hot and Carolina Mustard. Texas hot has some flavor, but I am not big on squirting sauce on my ribs.

Personnally, if I am on the east side, I'd rather drive the extra distance to Campbells
Thank's for the tip. I was skeptical about trying that place, considering as you say, the previous incarnations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.