Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2004, 7:21 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Cool Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Hi there Folks.... as a EZE native and self imposed crusader of bringing more tourists and visitors to Santa Maria de los Buenos Aires, Ive decided to start a new master thread on the city that heard my first cry some 35 springs ago...

Please post all and any questions you have on EZE right here, Ive subscribed to this thread so I should be able to check it out on quite a short notice and hopefully help you all plan your next trip to EZE. My motto is..... its not important that you go to EZE, whats important is that you go there and leave wanting to return...

Cordiales Saludos....

Alejandro
Rex Kramer likes this.

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Jul 19, 2005 at 8:19 am Reason: grammar correction
Old Apr 8, 2004, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Gaucho, thanks in advance for starting this thread.

My partner and I will be visiting in December, and I'm beginning to look at hotels. While it wouldn't normally be "my type of hotel" (since I prefer something modern), I'm somewhat interested in the Claridge, which is offering a rate of 75 USD that includes service, breakfast, welcome drink, and cell phone during the stay.

I'm also considering the Park Chateau or Park Plaza Kempinski, which are running specials at around $250 for 3 nights -- including airport transfers and breakfast (and even lunch, but I don't think we'd eat that at the hotel.)

Any thoughts on these hotels (and their locations), or other recommendations in the sub-$100/night range?

I imagine I'll have a few follow-up questions down the road, but I thought I'd get started with a hotel query.

Thanks,

snorkmaster
(travis)
Old Apr 8, 2004, 9:58 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA, B6, WN
I'm heading to Buenos Aires a week from tonight! As a single 40-something woman traveling solo, do you have any recommedations as to eateries (mainly for dinner) where I wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb as much (not fancy places)? Also things to do at night.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:43 am

Regarding hotels: We stayed at L'Etoile in Recoleta. Very nice, nice area and not expensive. http://www.etoile.com.ar/

Next to the hotels are many restaurants ... Rest. Lola was very good.
I also went to a stylish restaurant in Old Palermo (which Gaucho1000K recommended), very interesting, good food..
Porto Madero is also good for restaurants ...
Old Apr 13, 2004, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
The Claridge is a good choice. There are of course many options in the US$ 80-100 range, but I think the names you mention are good examples.

Regarding restaurants, a quick list I can compile would be the following, (I apologize for not having time to post all the details including address, but you should have no problem asking your concierge for directions, all these places are well known).

1) Sucre (located on Sucre street, close to River Plate Stadium) - very nice place, also for people watching.

2) Cabaña Las Lilas - located in the Puerto Madero area.

3) Oviedo - a traditional old-Buenos Aires style restaurant, with a serious kitchen.

For fine dining....

1) Nectarine - check with your concierge, the place is well known

2) Sinclair - go there for dinner, and make sure Ramiro (the Chef) is there...
Old Apr 18, 2004, 8:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Mobile phone system in AR?

What mobile phone system(s) and providers offer service to travellers in B.A.?
I have 2 GSM dual-band phones (Ericsson T29 & T28s) and a Verizon CDMA/TDMA tri-mode. Any of these work?
Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:32 am

I have an old Nokia and AT&T service ... and it worked in Buenos Aires!
Old Apr 20, 2004, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Provided you have auto-roaming, you should be OK. GSM service is now also readily available in Argentina, so you should all be OK. However, just like roaming charges everywhere else, beware of the big bill(s).
Old Apr 20, 2004, 3:36 am
Original Poster

BTW, I second the above recommendation for Lola in the Recoleta area. I would however go there for lunch, dinner is better had at other venues.

While in Recoleta, dont forget to check out the Cafes...
Old Apr 21, 2004, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

For the hotel point 'hogs', the Hilton Buenos Aires is a great option, its located in the trendy Puerto Madero area. If you book well ahead you should be able to get reasonable US$ rates. Its not the best bargain in town, but then, you have to keep that stays counts moving if you want to renew status...

Starwood has 4-5 hotels in the EZE area, so plenty of options for SPG junkies as well.

Please, dont hesitate to keep the questions coming. I will try to reply more quickly as my follow up lately has not been very good.

Cheers,
Old Apr 21, 2004, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Other Steak Houses (Parrillas) in Recoleta

I ate at Montana a couple of weeks ago in Recoleta and thought it was quite good. However, but even better value, you can go to Yugo's Parrilla just a block away and have some awesome meat at much lower prices.

I have a 450 gram Bife de Chorizo (around 16 ounces) for a whopping 12 pesos (About $4.25). It's was the best steak I had in BA, and I've been to quite a few places.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

For a steak place that is 100% local, I suggest El Parrillon del Pobre Luis. They recently moved, but they are well known enough for you to ask your Concierge for directions. They are located in the Nuñez Neighbourhood, quite close to River Plate Stadium.

Another option for meat is Rio Alba. This place is in the Palermo Area, close to Le Parc Tower.

For something even less touristy and cheaper, try a joint called El Novillo Alegre. This place is in Belgrano, and is right across the street from a nice (small) shopping mall called El Solar de la Abadia.

Again, I apologize for not having the exact addresses, its just that I just drive to these places usually.... I will see if I can get some internet site info. and post it here.

Enjoy your steaks... and, please, dont forget to sample a good Malbec with your red meat, and..... dont overcook it. Anything beyond medium rare is SACRILEEEEGGEEE !!!!!!!
Old Apr 22, 2004, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Here is some detailed info. on restaurants in the EZE area. Im not sure its available in English though...

http://www.restaurant.com.ar/
Old Apr 23, 2004, 6:17 am

I´m writing this from one of the numerous Internet cafes in Recoleta; I'm here in Bs.As. with the wife and 8 year old on vacation! This is truly a magnificent city and we hope to return some day. Of course a trip report will be forthcoming.

Last night we had dinner at Grant´s, a tenedor libre (all you can eat place) here in Recoleta. Great place, with a superb assortment of dishes but the best part was the cooked to order plates in their "exhibition kitchen".

I could use some ideas on Argentinian wines to bring home. I am partial to reds - Cabernet is my preference with Merlot a close second. Any recommendations?

Any thoughts on the side trip to Colonia in Uruguay via Buquebus? Is this worth the time and money?
Old Apr 23, 2004, 8:33 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Just my $0.02 worth....

spent about 5 weeks in Argentina last Nov/Dec, and it was absolutely our favourite place in 8 months of travelling central/south America and Australasia.

As Gaucho says, just get on a plane and GO !!!

I will be back soon (certainly before the peso recovers, anyway !)

StewieMac

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.