Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Gunter Hotel, San Antonio, Texas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2015, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Pool Heater Maintenance

Until further notice, the pool heater will be undergoing maintenance. The outdoor pool will remain open during this time; however, it will not be heated. Please contact the hotel for further information.
Print Wikipost

The Gunter Hotel, San Antonio, Texas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2002, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Arrow The Gunter Hotel, San Antonio, Texas [Master Thread]

Any recent reports on the Sheraton Gunter in San Antonio? The Westin Riverwalk is only posting absurdly high rates for March, 2003, when I will be in San Antonio (I expect that they will post lower rates as we move nearer to that date). There have been very positive reports about the Westin, but nothing about the Gunter.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
I was there in March 2000. A nice historical hotel. Texas-themed rooms. Nice club lounge. Not on the most happening part of the riverwalk but within an easy walk to all the action.
The Westin there is outstanding but not worth spending too much more for, IMHO.

Old May 27, 2003, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Thumbs up on the Sheraton Gunter if you're looking for a more value-oriented choice in San Antonio. While I would have preferred the Riverwalk or La Cantera, I have no complaints about the Gunter after my stay this last weekend -- particularly at the $69 rate. (Side note: this was a great deal, but didn't initially come up on the website...I had to select promotional rates before it appeared...arrgh)

Platinum recognition at the front desk was fine -- amenity and upgrade to Club Level were offered. I didn't feel like pushing for a suite (and don't know if they offer any to Platinums.)

The Club Lounge is open on weekends, which is a nice touch. No free hooch, but an reasonable array of evening appetizers and continental breakfast offerings. If I was forking out $200 a night, I might have been disappointed, but at $69, I could hardly complain.

Rooms were nice -- our room had a Sweet Sleeper bed, nice wood shutters, and seemed to have been recently renovated.

[This message has been edited by snorkmaster (edited 05-27-2003).]
Old Apr 6, 2004, 10:40 pm

Sheraton Gunter in San Antonio...

I'm staying at the Sheraton Gunter in San Antonio in May... just wondering if anyone had first hand experience staying there. I got a standard room for $109 per night for two nights. Is there a possibility of an upgrade to a club level room if I'm Gold Status? Would it be worth it to spend 1k points for an upgrade? Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2004, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I stayed there as a Gold last year and received an upgrade to a very good sized King room. I don't remember if I was on a Club floor or not, but I did have access to the Club. The Club was OK, nothing to get too excited about. My room was nice (no complaints at all) but I got the feeling there could be some rooms at the hotel that were a bit worn around the edges. Valet parking was pretty cheap if I remember correctly. Breakfast buffet at the restaurant downstairs was average.

The location downtown is pretty good and easy walking distance to that underwhelming Texan mecca of the Alamo and the RiverWalk (a concrete drainage ditch lined with chain restaurants).

Plenty of places to buy a $4 Shiner though!
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:58 pm

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
Before the Gunter was a Sheraton it was excellent, the rooms are very nice, and the property was pretty amazing. I haven't been there in years, but would stay there again given the opportunity. You are close to everything, yet there is a bit of privacy in their compound.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 7:54 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA PLT
I've always enjoyed the Gunter. I've stayed there three times since December, and will be there again the night of 4/9. All three times I've been upgraded to a large corner room (as SPG Gold), but not to the club floor. All my stays have been on weekends, though, so the club floor wasn't a priority for me. One thing to note, the non-SPG rooms tend to be on the small side, so make sure you don't get stuck with one of those. Also, I don't think there are any rooms with great views, since you mostly get to see other buildings around you. It doesn't overlook the Riverwalk (you'll want the Westin for that).

I enjoy the hotel itself, as the lobby area features lots of dark wood and has that old, classy hotel feel to it. The pub/bar also has a great feel to it. The location is great, as it's only about a three minute walk to the Riverwalk. Also, it's directly across the street from the Majestic Theater, which is wonderfully ornate (perhaps a bit gaudy) on the inside. If you have the chance to see a show there, do it.

I concur with geo1005 about the breakfast buffet. Rather average, so skip it. Last time I was there, I actually walked over to the Westin (only about 3 blocks/5 minutes away) and had a great breakfast at their restaurant next to the Riverwalk. If you do try the Westin for breakfast, the Belgian waffle is excellent, and formed in the shape of the state of Texas!

For my stay on 4/9, I managed a rate of $89, and I've usually had weekend rates in the range of $100-$120.

Hope that helps. It's a great property, or else I wouldn't have stayed there 4 times in the last 4 months!
Old Apr 9, 2004, 9:34 pm

Location: DFW - AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plt Royal Amb., Avis PS, FT Premium!!
Ask for...

A room on the sixth floor, that's where the ghosts are, really they are.

My goal- Stay in every Westin in the Overwhelming State of Texas
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:59 am

Programs: *wood plt,mrt plt, aa ex plt
San Antonio-Guenter

Staying a month in San Antonio pick the Guenter, outstanding service and rooms. Then Staff and Club floor are great. Parking is easy and access to all major highways is great.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:59 am

Programs: AA, NWA, SPG Gold
Question

I am staying at the Sheraton Gunter this weekend with my parents. I have 2 rooms one for myself and one for my parents. I am thinking about a specialty 1 or 2 upgrade or a suite upgrade for my parents. They don't travel much and I would like to do something nice for them. Does anyone have any experience doing this at this hotel? Is it worth it or should I just rely on my Gold status and hope I get a decent room with that.

Thanks for your help!

If I do decide to use points to upgrade should I call ahead or just do this when I get to the hotel? I have never done this before.

Thanks again!

Last edited by MSULauren; Jul 29, 2004 at 9:12 am Reason: Aditional question
Old Jul 29, 2004, 10:22 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I stayed at the Gunter about 2 years ago when the Westin was sold out during NIOSA. When I booked online under our corporate rate, it was a $30 difference for a club floor room or a junior suite - I opted for the suite. It was a comfortable room, and the hotel was within walking distance to pretty much all attractions in downtown. Didn't try the restaurant, but since there are so many other options around so why bother?
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:21 pm

I have stayed twice in the last 2 months as a Plat member.

Though the staff was nice, I was never upgraded and in fact never recognized as a Plat until I brought it up because I wanted to make sure I got my 500 point amenity.

Seems like the front desk is a bit out in left field.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:38 am

Programs: *Wood - Platinum , HHonors - Diamond, CO - Silver, SWA - Companion Pass
Don't waste your points on an upgrade

I stayed in the Sheraton Gunter 100+ nights in 2004, and just completed a stay this week (actually got placed into the Governor's Suite). The suites are nothing special, and not worth the points to upgrade IMHO.

The Sheraton Gunter has high speed internet access in every room (both wireless and cable) but I've found it to be extremely unreliable, and varies from room to room.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by geo1005
The location downtown is pretty good and easy walking distance to that underwhelming Texan mecca of the Alamo and the RiverWalk (a concrete drainage ditch lined with chain restaurants).

Sorry I can't help with what a platinum can expect.

But, geo1005, I am stunned at your summation of my city! I have never heard anyone here or in my travels speak of San Antonio in such a way. People do say that the Alamo is much smaller than expected. But, those who know its history are appreciative of what it means to Texans. And how you could say what you did about the Riverwalk is beyond me. There is a lot of history along its banks. The landscape is absolutely lovely (even in the winter) and there are all sorts of restaurants and shops which are not chains at all. Why would SAT attract millions of visitors each year if what you say is true? It's the #1 tourist destination in Texas and it comes close in the convention business.

If you should come here again, please allow me to make recommendations.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:03 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cli_terp
I stayed in the Sheraton Gunter 100+ nights in 2004, and just completed a stay this week (actually got placed into the Governor's Suite). The suites are nothing special, and not worth the points to upgrade IMHO.

The Sheraton Gunter has high speed internet access in every room (both wireless and cable) but I've found it to be extremely unreliable, and varies from room to room.

I had 75+ stays at the Gunter in 2004. Agree w/ cliterp.. they could do a lot to enhance their suites. Received some pretty decent upgrades to large rooms, corner rooms, and the club level. The rooms definitely have an 'old' feel to them -- both design and sometimes upkeep. If you're lucky, you can get some free WiFi from some of the neighboring buildings . The service at the Gunter is great and make sure you go see Larry at the club lounge.

About the hauntings.. I never had any but have heard stories... enjoy!

http://www.angelfire.com/weird/Demon...sofgunter.html

http://www.lonestarspirits.org/locat...anantonio.html

http://www.texasmonthly.com/ranch/ghostcity/gunter.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.