Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

A Collection of the Most Useful and Interesting MilesBuzz Threads

Old Apr 7, 2004, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club

I thought I would put together a list of some of the most useful or interesting MilesBuzz threads. I welcome additions and thoughts.

Useful tips

The Status Match Master Thread - a discussion of which airlines comp status based on existing elite credentials with a competing carrier, along with carrier-specific instructions on how to submit a status match request.

The Hotel Status Match Master Thread.

The "What Credit Card Should I Choose?" Master Thread

Online Banking for Miles - a discussion of different banking institutions that provide miles as a checking account incentive. This is distinguished from investment accounts like Fidelity, Ameritrade, etc. which also may provide miles for opening accounts. See also Miles for Banking.

Does CO-->Amtrak-->UA Really Work?, a discussing of laundering points out of Continental and into United without any devaluation. <Dead> It's no longer possible to transfer Amtrak points to United.

Handling Miles in a Divorce

Miles for Insurance Policies

Lifetime Status

Cell Phones and Miles

Best Current Long Distance Deals/Bonuses for Miles

Buzz-worthy Discussions

The Best Awards/Rewards of All Time

Anyone acutally been caught by airline selling/bartering/trading an award?

The Coming Devaluation of Frequent Flyer Miles

What's the Best Airline Award Remaining?. See also What is the world's worst FF award?

Why Frequent Flyer Programs Make Sense -- And Gutting Benefits Does Not

Best/Worst Big 6 Programs for Low Yield Flyers

Best Credit Cards

Classic Offers (No Longer Active, But Worth Preserving)

Pudding Guy's extreme success with the Healthy Choice-American Airlines promotion not only earned him over a million miles, it also brought him fame beyond that of any other frequent flyer. Not only was he all over the news, but he was immortalized in film. It was so improbable that it warranted verification from Snopes.com. Some discussions of the offer itself can be found here, here, and here.

I haven't yet found the classic post Forget Latin Pass - lets have a BAHT PASS run. Become a UA "1K" for $750 in 10 days! but a search of Google finds several of the pages of the thread, and you read the contents of the threads via Google's cache of each page.

The Goldpoints/Valumags offer allowed the purchase of unlimited miles in a variety of airline programs for less than one cent apiece. See goldpoints - fly the concorde for $1111 for a representative sample of discussion.

The KLM Match: offered to match not just elite status but account balances as well.

Test Drive a Jaguar, Fly to Europe

In the Spring of 2002, Randy was offering some amazing bonuses for subscribing to Inside Flyer magazine. Some savvy Flyertalkers realized that it was an opportunity to Fly the concorde JFK-LHR for $1259 courtesy of Randy.

LatinPass, 1,000,000 bonus miles (An offer Dr. Evil could not resist! One meelyun miles!) and LatinPass: Who's Really Going?

Last edited by gleff; Jan 21, 2006 at 7:20 am
Old Apr 7, 2004, 6:38 pm

Don't forget the infamous November 2002 $20-plus-tax roundtrip airfares on BA:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274376

As the lucky buyer of SEA-HEL-SEA and SEA-CDG-SEA for two people, at a total cost of less than $400, that's something I'll never forget!
Old Apr 7, 2004, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Wonderful reference .. some great and concentrated reminders of some wonderful threads - and a lot of work from gleff for compiling it.

Thanks ^
Old Apr 7, 2004, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by free101girl
Don't forget the infamous November 2002 $20-plus-tax roundtrip airfares on BA:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274376

As the lucky buyer of SEA-HEL-SEA and SEA-CDG-SEA for two people, at a total cost of less than $400, that's something I'll never forget!
Indeed. I was listing only MilesBuzz threads. If we were to open it up, we'd definitely have to include BA $20, $55+tax PVR runs in MX C, the Mexican Hat Dance...
Old Apr 7, 2004, 7:58 pm

Location: BKK, formerly Irvine, CA, UA 1-k-MM, Hilton-gold, Gold Starwood
Great work.

Thanks a lot,

Robert
Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:51 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
This is definitely worth a sticky!
Old Apr 8, 2004, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by gleff
Indeed. I was listing only MilesBuzz threads. If we were to open it up, we'd definitely have to include BA $20, $55+tax PVR runs in MX C, the Mexican Hat Dance...
Oops, you're quite right, the BA $20 fares never made it onto MilesBuzz and I seem to recall there was some controversy over that! As Emily Littela used to say, "Never mind!"

Thanks for a great thread... very useful links and a nice trip down memory lane, too.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 3:45 pm

The ValuMags deal was 450 airline points per dollar spent.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LemonThrower
The ValuMags deal was 450 airline points per dollar spent.
Actually IIRC it was 450 Goldpoints per dollar spent, which translated (at the then current 4:1 ratio) to 112.5 miles per dollar.

Unless there was a better deal that I missed out on!
Old Apr 8, 2004, 6:40 pm
Suspended

What a great, great, great idea this thread is-- so many new people come to FT and this thread can probably answer about 50% of "first posts" from them. Will reduce clutter and ameliorate some of the inevitable grouchiness of the "use the search, stupid" posters.

Great work ^^
Old Apr 8, 2004, 7:08 pm

Thumbs up

I came home today and dreaded having to dig through all the various forums to get the info I needed on a status match.

Your post was exactly what I was looking for! ^ ^
Old Apr 9, 2004, 1:12 pm

Location: Bullhead, AZ out of McCarran (Las Vegas) International Airport
Programs: AA & SPG
Thanks gleff! This is a big help to newbies like me.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:06 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Recent 1 800 Flowers DL promo

Don't forget this more recent Valuemags-like bonanza. It worked out quite well for most of us.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 3:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; IC RA
Smile

Great thread! I hope other moderators will follow gleff's lead to gather some of the best of their forums into one concise sticky ^
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Another keeper

People spent hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars buying Inside Flyer subscriptions in the Summer of 2002.

See Are there any current bonus mile deals for buying multiple InsideFlyer subscriptions?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9475

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.