Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades in Four Seasons?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2004, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Upgrades in Four Seasons?

Do Four Seasons offer free upgrades? They don't have elite / status program, so base on what criteria? I'm thinking about booking a partial ocean view romance package and wonder if I should ask for one at check in. I'm almost too ashamed.....
Old May 21, 2004, 2:31 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Originally Posted by adamak
Do Four Seasons offer free upgrades? They don't have elite / status program, so base on what criteria? I'm thinking about booking a partial ocean view romance package and wonder if I should ask for one at check in. I'm almost too ashamed.....
Most, if not all, Four Seasons participate in the American Express Fine Hotels and Resort progam which provides a complemetary upgrade as one of the perks.
Old May 21, 2004, 8:23 pm

Programs: CO Plat, AA Plat, UA Premex
Having stayed a few times at the Four Seasons Maui, I've been upgraded to an Ocean front Suite. Very nice, but I would assume it's either because I've stayed there a few times or my winning smile.
Old May 22, 2004, 3:56 am

I booked my parents into the Four Seasons in Dublin as an anniversary gift. At the time of reservation, the agent asked if it was a special occasion (as she knew it was a gift). I told her about the anniversary and thought nothing of it. When they arrived they were upgraded to a suite

Now, the hotel had only opened, so, chances are that had something to do with it but it was a lovely gesture.

I would ask at reception.....doesn't hurt and what's the worst that can happen?
Old May 22, 2004, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
We have been upgraded a couple of times at the Four Seasons New York when we were staying there a lot - one time to a huge suite with DR/LR/ etc. but that was some time ago. We stay at Four Seasons Hotels a lot around the world but they don't seem to recognize that.
Old May 22, 2004, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by auh2o
Most, if not all, Four Seasons participate in the American Express Fine Hotels and Resort progam which provides a complemetary upgrade as one of the perks.
How does one join this program? We spend a lot with AmEx
Old May 22, 2004, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Bruiser
How does one join this program? We spend a lot with AmEx
Call AMEX and inquire about a platinum card. It's expensive (I don't recall what I pay; somewhere between $300 and $400 a year), but many frequent travelers find it worthwhile because of their Fine Hotels and Resorts (FHR) program. Many of the world's finest hotels and resorts, including most of the Four Seasons hotels (although not the Four Seasons New York), participate. When you book a room through this program (which typically does not cost any more than booking on your own, and sometimes less), you get (1) an upgrade based on availability at checkin, (2) free continental breakfast for two each morning of your stay, (3) guaranteed 4pm late checkout, and (4) an extra amenity determined by each property, which can be as lame as a guaranteed early checkin, but more typically is more substantial, like a free lunch for two at the hotel's restaurant. To me, the most valuable part of the program is the upgrades, which I'd guess I get more often than not.

Originally Posted by Bruiser
We have been upgraded a couple of times at the Four Seasons New York when we were staying there a lot - one time to a huge suite with DR/LR/ etc. but that was some time ago. We stay at Four Seasons Hotels a lot around the world but they don't seem to recognize that.
Four Seasons recently invited me to register with them by submitting a personal profile. I don't know if this will result in more frequent upgrades, but at least it allows them to keep track of how often I am staying at there hotels. Perhaps you can do it from their website; otherwise I'd give them a call and ask about it.

Last edited by Blumie; May 22, 2004 at 12:11 pm
Old May 22, 2004, 3:11 pm

Thanks Blumie I will look into the AmEx program.
I currently have a profile with Four Seasons and book hotels online - however, I have been trying to access my two latest reservations and they are telling me that I have to do it through their worldwide reservation center in Toronto, (unless I booked the reservation online, which I did) and that requires a day or more for them to respond. Previous to that I could review my reservations when necessary - don't know why they made the change and they won't tell me. The joys of a high tech world!

Last edited by Bruiser; May 22, 2004 at 3:13 pm
Old May 22, 2004, 3:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by Blumie
When you book a room through this program (which typically does not cost any more than booking on your own, and sometimes less)
This is true with many Ritz-Carlton properties. Go to their web site and make two reservation searches for the same hotel and same dates, one search with the corporate/promotional code "FHR" and one without the code. You will find that often times, the search with the FHR code will give you better rates.

FHR rates are available only through the FHR program (through AMEX Platinum). Anybody can view the rates however with the code.
Old May 24, 2004, 6:55 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Departures Magazine?

Blumie,
Does the AMEX Platinum program still publish Departures Magazine and provide a subscription with membership? A few years ago, it was a great read for people interested in luxury travel.
Old May 24, 2004, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Different upgrade experiences

Ways I have recieved upgrades at FS/RC
1. They make a mistake with regards to my reservation i.e. the cost/the duration/what category I booked etc.
2. I have been a frequent guest at that particular hotel
3. I ask if an upgrade is available or ask what it would cost to upgrade

I was told by the reception manager at the FS SF that FS does not have a system wide fidelity system, other than perhaps that you have stayed at a FS (any FS) in the past. I've heard, from friends, that RC DOES have a system which shares property specific as well as system wide stays. Does anyone have any more definitive info regarding whether this is fact/fiction?
Old May 27, 2004, 4:32 pm
PD

Upgraded in Istanbul

My husband and I checked in on May 11 for a five-night stay, and were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded. We had never stayed at a Four Seasons before. I had booked the room on the Four Seasons website; took the lowest available price. So, it wasn't because of loyalty or because we had booked a higher priced room.

Incidentally, this property does not participate in the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts program, though many other Four Seasons properties do.

Departures magazine is still published six times a year, and is provided free of charge to Platinum Card holders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.