Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

LEFT SEPT 15, 2009: Sheraton Bilbao, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LEFT SEPT 15, 2009: Sheraton Bilbao, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2004, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Arrow LEFT SEPT 15, 2009: Sheraton Bilbao, Spain [Master Thread]

I'm thinking of staying at the new Sheraton in Bilbao, Spain this summer. Has anyone stayed at this new property that would like to comment on its location, comfort, ammenities, etc? I'm able to book it at 100 euros. The one downside is that their pool and wellness center won't be ready until July.

Are there better hotel recommendations for around the same price or cheaper in Bilbao?
Old Jun 1, 2004, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It wasn't finished when I was in Bilbao but the location did not seem too great as the whole area was a building site, not just the hotel. I stayed at the Lopez de Haro which is very classy - see my tripadvisor.com review.

There are also a couple of stunning design hotels in Bilbao. I walked through the Domine's lobby and it looked amazing, it is also opposite the Guggenheim. The reviews on tripadvisor are excellent. I would have stayed here had I known about it, but it had only been open a few months at that point.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 4:19 pm

It is completed and open. Very attractive property and a block away from the river and couple blocks away from the Guggenheim/Gehry Museum.

The staff is very cordial.

Highly recomend it.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 6:04 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Skymiles Gold, Staralliance Gold
I've been there a few times, and always received excellent treatment. As a Platinum, I've always been upgraded to very nice suites. The staff is excellent, and you can be sure they all will go far and beyond to have you completely satisfied. Breakfast (buffet) is also excellent, quite different from the usual ones.

Maybe there are still building things around (mainly a big shopping center), but both the Concert Hal/Opera and the Guggenheim are quite close, and I have no doubt this hotel is the best price/quality relationship in Bilbao at this moment. The Domine is much more expensive (and you don't even get a feather pillow there, for instance), and the Lopez de Haro is, in my opinion, just a joke.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Instead of the Sheraton, I chose the Gran Hotel Domine and was extremely impressed. I scored a last minute rate of 90 euros/night compared to 100 euros/night at the Sheraton.

One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Very high tech rooms, amazing bathroom, excellent location, etc. The breakfast buffett on the top deck is superb. HIGHLY Recommended!
Old Aug 6, 2004, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Plat
We stayed at the Sheraton Bilbao in March. There is construction around the hotel, but the location is still great. It is very close to the Guggenheim, etc. Best of all, there is a tram stop very close by.

The hotel and rooms were incredible. Very cool, modern style. But, still very comfortable. Best of all is the bathroom. All marble, great showers, and heated floors.

Service at the hotel was also spectacular. Everyone was very professional and friendly. They really went out of their way to make you comfortable. You could tell that they were very proud of their city and the new Sheraton.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 5:07 pm

I can echo all of the comments on the great service and rooms at the Sheraton Bilbao. Some additional trivia: the architect of the hotel is Ricardo Legorreta, who is a Mexican architect known for some building here in the Bay Area including the San Jose Tech Museum. Had a great stay in June there. Here are some pictures from my stay. Bilbao is also an amazing city with the largest contrast in old vs new architecture that I've seen.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Gold (current Platinum), Hilton Diamond
Bump

I'm considering a mid-week 2 day stay at this property in September. Has anyone been recently? Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Flawless stay over New Year's. Hotel design, staff, rooms and location are all top notch. Quick walk to Guggenheim and nice mall across the street.

I'm surprised it's flagged as a Sheraton, it seemed more closer to the level of a Luxury Collection (except for the cheapo Sheraton bathroom products).

As said in prev posts: Breakfast (buffet) is also excellent, quite different from the usual ones.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Gold (current Platinum), Hilton Diamond
Thanks for such a quick reply!
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Anyone with experience with the different room types at this prop? I have a stay booked for next year, but am contemplating upping to a club level room. The description states it includes a room on the top floor with a private balcony and access to club lounge. Is the club room worth the price difference (about $36 Euros a night)? I'm a gold with a history of no upgrades so I'm not counting on an upgrade... Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
Anyone with experience with the different room types at this prop? I have a stay booked for next year, but am contemplating upping to a club level room. The description states it includes a room on the top floor with a private balcony and access to club lounge. Is the club room worth the price difference (about $36 Euros a night)? I'm a gold with a history of no upgrades so I'm not counting on an upgrade... Thanks in advance for any comments.
I am also considering staying sometime in November, would love to hear about this.

By the way, I have a link for the Guggenheim package for 96 Euro per night - includes ticket to Guggenheim, buffet breakfast and a bottle of red wine. Pretty sweet deal, PM if interested. Also found that if you are staying 3 nights, can get 95 for 2 nights, 3rd is free, so total of 63 euro per night for 3 nights. No bkfast or wine, though!
Old Jan 5, 2007, 5:46 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Any experiences lately at this property ?
Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, US CP, *W Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Stayed there in November on cash/points and loved it--thought Bilbao would be a one time trip, be we liked this property and town so much, we're going back next year. Close to the museum, subway (stations designed by Norman Foster, if you're on the architecture tour), non-touristy tapas bars (w/excellent breakfast specials), and my favorite feature (of course) a large park adjacent to the property that's great for dog/people watching during siesta and post-work/pre-tapas. Upgrades as plats were stellar (huge w/jacuzzi tubs) and electronic shades that made it so dark, we still joke about it being our favorite 'sleeping cave'.

This is a great place to ease into a Euro trip...the staff are among most knowledgable and helpful we've experienced anywhere and we relied on them heavily for assistance in planning our trip through the Rioja/El Ciego. On-property restaurants are excellent, authentic and a great value (wish we'd chosen their prix fixe over the in-town rip-off we went to on the first night). Lunch especially is a great value and also excellent people watching--seems to be a prime spot for local office groups celebrating birthdays, etc. There is a large shopping mall across the street--usually give these a miss, but the front desk staff told us about a cool photography exhibit on the ground floor and we were not disappointed. Definitely worth checking out the latest free exhibit as well as the shops/non-chain food establishments.

You can't go wrong with this property--the 3 groups of folks we've recommended to have either extended their stays and/or re-booked for next year. Enjoy!
Old Jun 3, 2007, 4:58 pm
Community Director Emerita

There was a brief mention of a lounge in one post. Is the lounge open on weekend? Does it offer breakfast? appetizers? Are platinums routinely given access?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.