Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

25 issues of The Economist for 2,000 DL miles: is it a deal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2004, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

I just got an offer from DL for my orphan DL miles.
They offer 25 issues of The Economist for 2,000 miles. Assuming 2000 miles, that's $40 for 25 issues.

A subscription to the Economist is $129/year, so it would appear to be a deal assuming that $0.02 per mile is the correct conversion.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Droneklax; Jun 2, 2004 at 11:53 pm
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:23 am

Talking

for orphan miles, I'd do it!
Old Jun 3, 2004, 1:13 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Provided you actually want the subscription, go for it!

Unless you will earning a ton more DL miles and have a better than average use for DL miles, this is great use of your DL miles.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 1:23 am

Do you have a link? I'd love to extend my subscription!
Old Jun 3, 2004, 6:47 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Yes

Yes, that's a good deal - definitely worth it.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 7:21 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
Once you've been a subscriber to this magazine (used to be, and still calls itself a "newspaper") you'll never open Time again, and not even touch Newsweek.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 9:10 am
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Is there a link or phone number? I would love to do this deal.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Subscriptions to The Economist are widely available at substantial discounts. Just typing the words "The Economist" and "discount" into Google brought up a slew of discount magazines brokers. I see rates such as $77 for 51 issues at Magazineline.com (good for renewals as well) and other discount rates are available with other brokers.

Last edited by JIMCHI; Jun 3, 2004 at 9:25 am
Old Jun 3, 2004, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
But 2,000 orphan miles is better, IMHO.

Is there a link/location for this offer, as I also have a few remaining Delta miles from when I lived in the Southeast.

Cheers!
Old Jun 3, 2004, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
NWA offers a similar deal where you can redeem miles for magazine subsriptions. If I remember correctly Time magazine costs 5000 miles with them.
I think it is a good way to use up miles one does not need or cannot use for anything else.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by choster
Once you've been a subscriber to this magazine (used to be, and still calls itself a "newspaper") you'll never open Time again, and not even touch Newsweek.
^
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by fm747
NWA offers a similar deal where you can redeem miles for magazine subsriptions. If I remember correctly Time magazine costs 5000 miles with them.
I think it is a good way to use up miles one does not need or cannot use for anything else.
5,000 miles for Time is a huge overcharge and should not be considered a good deal. Go through Milepoint, and it will cost you only 2,000 miles. Their magazine selection changes constantly, so keep looking if your favorite magazine does not appear on the list.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 1:45 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Thumbs up

I subscribe to the economist and I think the last time that I renewed it was with a deal for like $54 / year.

Great magazine if you don't mind the conservative slant on things every once in a while. I read it every week.

I think 2000 Delta miles is definitely worth it.

peace,
~Ben~

Waiting for a deal that lets me use those orphan US Air miles to pay for my Far Eastern Economic Review subscription... (~$230/year! )
Old Jun 4, 2004, 5:34 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
The Economist

Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
I subscribe to the economist and I think the last time that I renewed it was with a deal for like $54 / year.

Great magazine if you don't mind the conservative slant on things every once in a while. I read it every week.

I think 2000 Delta miles is definitely worth it.

peace,
~Ben~

Waiting for a deal that lets me use those orphan US Air miles to pay for my Far Eastern Economic Review subscription... (~$230/year! )
Not to be too nit-picky, but I think libertarian would be a better label to put on it than conservative. Not many conservatives support gay marriage, but many libertarians do.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 8:03 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
To be assuredly too nitpicky, I would say European liberal (a la FDP) rather than libertarian, especially with regard to questions of military intervention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.