Community
Wiki Posts
Search

While the Cat is Away……

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2003, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

While the Cat is Away……

....the mice should play…. With ScottC airborne on his United flight from ORD to AMS it appears the board is open for discussions of wild rumors and innuendo without fear of facts or common sense coming into the discussion.

I will start by mentioning that BA as of July 1 has the most liberal upgrade policy of any carrier. Upgrade any fare to the next class of service!! WOW!!!

Did I mention upgrade? The last 6 flight I have taken with BA I was upgraded. IN ALL cases I asked for the thing. Only sheep meekly go on a plane knowing they will turn right at boarding without making at least an attempt to move up!!!

richard the BA mouse

[This message has been edited by RichLond (edited 03-08-2003).]
Old Mar 8, 2003, 5:47 pm
Suspended

"I will start by mentioning that BA as of July 1 has the most liberal upgrade policy of any carrier. Upgrade any fare to the next class of service!! WOW!!!"

Not true. American Airlines, at least, allows this.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 5:49 pm
Community Director Emerita

The following is a true story.

One week ago today, I was flying from HKG to LHR in BA F. I was patiently waiting my turn in the F/Biz boarding line, when a number of highly self important people pushed their way around us. They were allowed to board first. The man in front of me finally asked why. The BA agent said "Sir, they are gold. The man said "So am I" - and dragged up his tag from his briefcase. "I just don't feel a need to flash it around." The BA agent then switched his boarding card from business to First class.

The purser had a chat with me onboard. Of the 14 first class seats, 9 were operational upgrades.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichLond:
is open for discussions of wild rumors and innuendo without fear of facts or common sense coming into the discussion.
</font>
brings.....

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by blueeyes_austin:
</font>
mmmmm, perhaps the cat has allies... but the BA gold upgrade is even valid on award flights!! not even AA can say that!!

Old Mar 8, 2003, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah and AA gives you FREE eight VIP upgrades as a top tier. No redemptions no money, no ADDITIONAL THRESHOLD after reaching top tier (and as most know UA and DL give SIX, but with more restrictions - which are actually less than BA's).
Old Mar 8, 2003, 7:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by blueeyes_austin:
"I will start by mentioning that BA as of July 1 has the most liberal upgrade policy of any carrier. Upgrade any fare to the next class of service!! WOW!!!"

</font>
I think Lufthansa also allows upgrades from any fare. And doesn't US Airways allow upgrades from all but one fare basis?

[This message has been edited by iflyual (edited 03-08-2003).]
Old Mar 8, 2003, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:
Yeah and AA gives you FREE eight VIP upgrades as a top tier. No redemptions no money, no ADDITIONAL THRESHOLD after reaching top tier (and as most know UA and DL give SIX, but with more restrictions - which are actually less than BA's).</font>
But BA is soooo much better in FIRST than on [/b]AA[/b]!
Old Mar 9, 2003, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and CX is miles better than BA IMHO, thats not totally the point as in reality trying to get my substantial frame into a short narrow bed for a maximum 3 hour sleep on a 6-7 hour flights is not that pleasant!
Old Mar 10, 2003, 2:03 am

</font>
And from Y to C rather than Y to Y+!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Please note that you cannot upgrade to the next cabin using discount economy classes.</font>

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...u/public/en_us
Old Mar 10, 2003, 3:25 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I am in schock the Scott has not jumped all over this thread yet. I believe he has returned from ORD on UA. Maybe he is busy working out how to max his SWU collection

Old Mar 10, 2003, 5:40 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CT-UK:
I am in schock the Scott has not jumped all over this thread yet. I believe he has returned from ORD on UA. Maybe he is busy working out how to max his SWU collection

</font>

Remember he did fly UA so it may take him a few days to recover!!

Old Mar 10, 2003, 9:34 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
LH does allow upgrading of any purchased fare @ 20K one way for US members and 35K for others.

I suspect that I shall be seeing some of you shortly .
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KL also lets you upgrade from any fare and also from awards (there would not be much point in the latter, though, since getting a business award straight away would be cheaper).
I just don't understand attempts at arguing that BAEC is a generous programme. It just isn't, and even less so following the changes. IMO, BAEC plays a very minor role in flying BA. More likely reasons are:
1) you are UK based and BA will offer you the greatest number of direct flights;
2) you enjoy BA's service better than that of its competitors;
3) you appreciate the stinginess of BAEC, because it means that only a comparatively low number will partake of the benefits so premium classes and lounges will be less of a scrum;
4) you enjoy the intangible benefits that go with recognition as premier if you are in that position;
5) last, and not least, your nightdreams are populated by hairbrushes and you hanker after the hope of seeing Pucci on a flight.

[This message has been edited by NickB (edited 03-10-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.