Reload this Page >

Chicago's Second City comedy theater

Old Jul 2, 2004, 8:37 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond

Since 1959, The Second City has established itself as a Chicago landmark and a national treasure. The theatre that launched the careers of such comic greats as John Belushi, Mike Myers, Bill Murray, Gilda Radner, and more offers nightly comedy shows, as well as a variety of other programs and services. I was fortunate enough to catch Chris Farley before he hit it big.

The theatre has two resident stages: The Second City Mainstage, which seats 340 and The Second City e.t.c., which seats 180. Each theatre has a resident troupe that writes and performs an original comedy revue. The shows are smart, funny, and highly original. The Second City Training Center operates a third theatre in the Piper's Alley complex on Wells Street called Donny's Skybox Studio Theatre. Donny's Skybox features an eclectic mix of student productions as well as other alternative shows.

The Second City also has touring troupes that take our shows on the road, a Training Center that teaches improvisation, acting, writing, and other skills, and a corporate communications division that services the business world.

Learn improvisation exercises and techniques from Michael Gellman, Norm Holly, Keegan-Michael Key, Susan Messing, Mick Napier and Ron West July 5, when the Second City Training Center presents "Improv Masters," a free-form discussion and demonstration hosted by Anne Libera, at the Second City e.t.c.

Second City
1616 N. Wells St (just north of North Ave)
312-337-3992;
http://www.secondcity.com
Old Jul 8, 2004, 12:11 pm

I like Comedy Sportz, at 2851 N. Halsted. It is 100% improv and is staged as two comedy teams competing against each other in different improv games. The shows are about $15. They are kept clean except for the Saturday night midnight Hot Karl show, where anything goes. It is also BYOB.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Second City Question

I've been the Second City many times in the past (*grins* 30 years ago even) and love it.

My husband, 16 year old son and I are going again in September. My question for those who have been lately...which current show is better....main stage or ETC?

thanks in advance
Old Aug 15, 2004, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I caught the first act of the main stage show last month and thought it was very good - but there was definitely a gap in talent between the three best performers and the other three or four. I had to leave because they started later than I expected and I had to drive about 30 miles home, but my out-of-town coworkers who were there said all three acts (the regular two and the improv) were great.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Any tips on the current shows? I'll be in town this weekend.

I used to love going to Second City in college, and only wish I had kept the playbills to remember who I saw "before they were famous".

-Shannon
Old Aug 25, 2004, 5:29 pm

*grins*

Let me know....I bought tickets for Main Stage for Sept. 3
Old Sep 4, 2004, 9:27 am

Well

We wnet last night to Main stage and had a great time. Thanks Elmhurst Nick for your comments.

BTW, it was three of us--hubby & 16 year old blue-haired son. I suspect the hair is what got us seated at the table right in front of the stage. So my hubby got "picked on" for the improv in the middle where they start talking to someone in the crowd...My favorite line was..."you've been married 32 years? In that time, you could have 5 normal marriages!"
Old Sep 6, 2004, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Aug 2, 2010 at 7:53 pm
Old Sep 9, 2004, 5:08 pm

We saw the current Mainstage production, "Doors Open on the Right" in July. Very funny stuff, especially the bits on dinosaurs in the workplace environment. ^
Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Aug 2, 2010 at 7:57 pm
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

anyone see "The Absolute Best Friggin' Time of Your Life" currently playing at Second City ?

also, it has been a long time since I've been to dinner in the nearby area. Will be with my 25 yr old nephew & his GF, looking for low key, thinking about Adobo Grill. Any other suggestions?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
anyone see "The Absolute Best Friggin' Time of Your Life" currently playing at Second City ?

also, it has been a long time since I've been to dinner in the nearby area. Will be with my 25 yr old nephew & his GF, looking for low key, thinking about Adobo Grill. Any other suggestions?
go see "The Absolute Best Friggin' Time of Your Life", terrific & funny !!!

As for dinner, we went to the ever easy Adobo Grill which was mediocre at best. Think we'll go to Salpicon next time in area.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie

The current show is great; we went about six weeks ago and I'd go again given the chance. Ridiculously funny, though it may not actually be the best time of your life. The wife didn't like it so much, though she tends to lean pretty far to the right while the show... doesn't.

While I haven't been to that Adobo in Chicago, they're really nothing to write home about. It's definitely not cheap dining cost-wise, and the food is just pretty standard.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
For dinner, we like Dinotto, right across North Ave.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by akonradi
The current show is great; we went about six weeks ago and I'd go again given the chance. The wife didn't like it so much, though she tends to lean pretty far to the right while the show... doesn't.
too funny, that is the reason while I wanted to, I can't recommend that my parents see the show as there are some skits where they couldn't suspend their right tendencies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.