Search

FC Upgrade Rule Change On Hawaii Flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2004, 12:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
FC Upgrade Rule Change On Hawaii Flights

While the ability to upgrade to Hawaii has been tightened and reported on this board over the last few months, I got first hand experience of the new rules yesterday.
Mrs. Cholula and I were checking in for our LAX/OGG flight yesterday at the kiosks. She was traveling on a SkyChoice FC award and I was on an M fare which was upgraded and confirmed at time of booking in February. We had used the same combo of tickets a months earlier...no problem. This time however, the kiosk spit out Mrs. Cholula’s BP but said “TILT” when it came time to do mine.
The kiosk agent typed something into the computer, looked amazed and issued me a security pass. She said I needed to deal with the “problem” at the gate. The GA wasn’t yet ready for the flight so I headed up to the CRC to straighten things out. The CRC agent said her screen said “ MUST BE RESIDENT OF HAWAII FOR SEGMENT UPGRADE. CHECK MEDALLION STATUS.”
Say what?? She had never seen the message before and didn’t know what to do/say. In the back of my mind, I remembered DL had changed the rules for upgrading to Hawaii but I didn’t know all the details. Besides, they changed the rules well AFTER my ticket was purchased and the upgrade confirmed.
So she sent me down to the gate and I stood in a line that stretched half way back to San Diego.
When I finally got to the front of the line, the GA also got the same message and had no idea what to do. She called “Global Assist” and was on the phone 15 minutes with an agent there.
Bottomline, they said I would have to pony up an additional 15,000 SM’s on TOP of my $1100 fare to upgrade. I mentioned that these new rules weren’t in effect when my ticket was issued and they should honor the rules in effect at time of booking. After a little back and forth with the agents, they agreed, the BP spit out of the machine and I claimed my rightful FC throne.
All’s well that ends well I guess. But I may have to deal with the same issue on my return flight.
Just a heads up to anyone who is holding a FC seat to Hawaii that was booked and upgraded several months ago.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Cholula
The CRC agent said her screen said “ MUST BE RESIDENT OF HAWAII FOR SEGMENT UPGRADE. CHECK MEDALLION STATUS.”
Say what?? She had never seen the message before and didn’t know what to do/say. In the back of my mind, I remembered DL had changed the rules for upgrading to Hawaii but I didn’t know all the details.
Interesting. That's what, IIRC, the computers spit out when checking in for a flight on NW (using the Hawai'i Resident Upgrades).

aloha

P.S. Here's hoping for a flawless vacation free of random terminal car fires, electrical/telecommunication shortages caused by Verizon on your trip.!
Old Aug 1, 2004, 3:00 pm

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
I am curious as to why being a resident of Hawaii grants you special upgrade rights. I do not recieve special preference when traveling to my home state of New York.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pointfreak!
I am curious as to why being a resident of Hawaii grants you special upgrade rights. I do not recieve special preference when traveling to my home state of New York.
A lot of Hawaii-based medallions complained because Delta's highly touted benefit of "unlimited segment upgrades" is virtually useless to them if they cannot upgrade on any DL-operated flight from/to Hawaii, all of which are roughly equivalent to or greater in distance than transcons. This is also similar to the program for NW elites residing in Hawaii.

The only major that now permits the use of segment upgrade points from/to Hawaii for all of its elite members, regardless of residency, is UA.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 3:51 pm

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
Why couldnt I flash one of these and say "Tanks fo da upgrade brah!".

Last edited by Pointfreak!; Aug 1, 2004 at 3:56 pm
Old Aug 1, 2004, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Red face

While the ability to upgrade to Hawaii has been tightened and reported on this board over the last few months, I got first hand experience of the new rules yesterday.
Mrs. Cholula and I were checking in for our LAX/OGG flight yesterday at the kiosks. She was traveling on a SkyChoice FC award and I was on an M fare which was upgraded and confirmed at time of booking in February. We had used the same combo of tickets a months earlier...no problem. This time however, the kiosk spit out Mrs. Cholula’s BP but said “TILT” when it came time to do mine.
The kiosk agent typed something into the computer, looked amazed and issued me a security pass. She said I needed to deal with the “problem” at the gate. The GA wasn’t yet ready for the flight so I headed up to the CRC to straighten things out. The CRC agent said her screen said “ MUST BE RESIDENT OF HAWAII FOR SEGMENT UPGRADE. CHECK MEDALLION STATUS.”
Say what?? She had never seen the message before and didn’t know what to do/say. In the back of my mind, I remembered DL had changed the rules for upgrading to Hawaii but I didn’t know all the details. Besides, they changed the rules well AFTER my ticket was purchased and the upgrade confirmed.
So she sent me down to the gate and I stood in a line that stretched half way back to San Diego.
When I finally got to the front of the line, the GA also got the same message and had no idea what to do. She called “Global Assist” and was on the phone 15 minutes with an agent there.
Bottomline, they said I would have to pony up an additional 15,000 SM’s on TOP of my $1100 fare to upgrade. I mentioned that these new rules weren’t in effect when my ticket was issued and they should honor the rules in effect at time of booking. After a little back and forth with the agents, they agreed, the BP spit out of the machine and I claimed my rightful FC throne.
All’s well that ends well I guess. But I may have to deal with the same issue on my return flight.
Just a heads up to anyone who is holding a FC seat to Hawaii that was booked and upgraded several months ago.

Cholula,

I am sorry to inform you that this a direct hint from DL airlines that youand Mrs Cholula should now fly on another airline!
Old Aug 1, 2004, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by FTraveler
The only major that now permits the use of segment upgrade points from/to Hawaii for all of its elite members, regardless of residency, is UA.
AFAIK, AA also allows this.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
AFAIK, AA also allows this.
I stand corrected.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by FTraveler
I stand corrected.
EXP's get unlimited upgrades to Hawaii...or anywhere else in North America for that matter.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 9:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Cholula,

I am sorry to inform you that this a direct hint from DL airlines that youand Mrs Cholula should now fly on another airline!
Actually, if the truth be known, we had long ago decided this was our last trip to Hawaii on DL. The LAX/OGG schedule is down to one a day and it doesn’t arrive OGG until 6 PM. So you don’t get to your Maui destination until dark. The return is even a bigger nightmare...a dreaded red-eye that arrives LAX at 5 AM. Top it off with 764’s on this route and now the inability to upgrade even an $1100 ticket and I’ve got to say DUHHHH. Time to make a change of airlines on our quarterly trips to Hawaii.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Pointfreak!
Why couldnt I flash one of these and say "Tanks fo da upgrade brah!".
Interesting... It wouldn't work because our State IDs look like this.

aloha
Old Aug 1, 2004, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Actually, if the truth be known, we had long ago decided this was our last trip to Hawaii on DL. The LAX/OGG schedule is down to one a day and it doesn’t arrive OGG until 6 PM. So you don’t get to your Maui destination until dark. The return is even a bigger nightmare...a dreaded red-eye that arrives LAX at 5 AM. Top it off with 764’s on this route and now the inability to upgrade even an $1100 ticket and I’ve got to say DUHHHH. Time to make a change of airlines on our quarterly trips to Hawaii.
Cholula, you might as well come over to the dark side and give AA a try. You're already lifetime PM on DL anyway. Much easier to upgrade, all fares upgradable, and much better food in F. Service can be inconsistent, but overall I'm very pleased with AA.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by slippahs
Interesting... It wouldn't work because our State IDs look like this.

aloha
From the above URL:

To obtain or renew an ID card, you must come in person, with the proper documents and fee. The fee is $15.00 in cash except for those age 65 and older, who pay $10.00 in cash.

Cholula, would you have to pay $10 or $15?
Old Aug 1, 2004, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Change your address to an address in HI and use your passport as ID.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
Cholula, you might as well come over to the dark side and give AA a try. You're already lifetime PM on DL anyway. Much easier to upgrade, all fares upgradable, and much better food in F. Service can be inconsistent, but overall I'm very pleased with AA.
Hmm, sounds interesting to me. My primary carrier is UA, secondary is DL. What kind of equipment does AA operate between HNL and the west coast? Does AA have a lounge in HNL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.