Wiki Posts
Search

HP Celebrity sighting thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2004, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Wink HP Celebrity sighting thread

It seems that we don't have a celebrity sighting thread in this forum.

Here's my experiece on today's 6am OAK-PHX flight(#610) this morning.

When checking in at the ticket counter the agent(who I see quite often) mentioned to another that Isaac Hayes had checked in. I asked if he was in first and the he said yes.

When I got to the gate I started looking around to see if he was sitting in the area, but I didn't see him.

When boarding began I saw a guy standing in front of me wearing a baseball cap and a backpack. I didn't think it was him because he was shorter than I thought he would be. The tipoff was when the other gate agent shook his hand, and said "I've been a fan of yours for years".

When they let the elite members board, I said "How's it going brotha" and shook his hand then proceeded to my seat in 10A. He was seated in 1B. One of the Y cabin FA's didn't recognize him and asked me who he was.

Just before the doors were closed the agent at the ticket counter came onboard to move me to seat 2C. The agent started talking to Isaac about the lady flying with him. She was in coach, but couldn't be moved up because myself and another guy were upgraded. So I guess HP puts it's elites before celebs.

Isaac was cool. Although he slept most of the flight. He signed my autograph book(Yes I have one).

This is the second celeb I've seen on HP. Stacy Keach was the first.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
About 2 years ago I was in seat 1D and Kareem was in seat 1C. His legs were so long, that they touched the bulkhead even sitting down. Appearently, he flies PHX-LAX quite often.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Back when I was commuting between PHX and EWR, I sat behind - (and then next to on a flight a couple of months later) Dan Quayle. We talked a little, but not a ton. He was not a very talkative type. He did say that HP F is a HUGE step down from Airforce Two!

Never did work up the nerve to ask him how to spell potato
Old Aug 2, 2004, 8:38 pm

Programs: America West Gold
Supreme Court Justice

Depends on what you call a celebrity. I was riding up to Vancouver, BC a few weekends ago and sat in F with Sandra Day O'Connor. She was seated in a window seat with three lady friends surrounding her.

Come to think of it, once we landed, I didn't see her or her friends going through customs. Hmm.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 10:06 pm

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
Have sat next to Dick Enberg (Sportscaster), Tony Gwynn (Padres future Hall of Famer) and Dennis Green (PHX Cardinals coach) + family. Have also seen a host of other celebs on other airlines... ^

Have also seen Tiger Woods, Mickleson etc...out my back window as my house is very near the 2nd tee at La Costa Country Club.

Just saw Serena Williams being driven (Mercedes of course) out of the Acura Classic the other day....down the street from my house.

Last edited by IMStill4Travel; Aug 3, 2004 at 8:21 pm
Old Aug 2, 2004, 10:11 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by RedRockFlyer
Depends on what you call a celebrity. I was riding up to Vancouver, BC a few weekends ago and sat in F with Sandra Day O'Connor. She was seated in a window seat with three lady friends surrounding her.

Come to think of it, once we landed, I didn't see her or her friends going through customs. Hmm.
Welcome to Flyertalk RedRockFlyer. I would, indeed, consider Justice O'Connor a true celebrity; much more so, than my Meg Ryan sighting in my local Brentwood supermarket yesterday.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Gee I would have thought celebrities on HP would be an oxymoron

Jan
Old Aug 3, 2004, 1:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by transporter99
About 2 years ago I was in seat 1D and Kareem was in seat 1C. His legs were so long, that they touched the bulkhead even sitting down. Appearently, he flies PHX-LAX quite often.

A few years back when I was not yet getting upgrades I saw him first in the Phoenix airport, eating something. What I didn't like is that he was sitting facing out to the walkway, and when a couple kids came up and asked for an autograph, he told them no. Now I understand perhaps just wanting to eat in peace, but if that was the case he should have sat in a location, like across the row from where he was, where he would have been less likely to be noticed.

Once I boarded, I was in 3a (in a 737) and he was in 2A, so just the wall was between us.

A few months ago I saw Richard Lewis on a flight from LA to Phoenix. He was talking to himself and acting a lot like maybe he had smoked a but much in his younger days.

On a cross country flight (PHX-JFK, I think) about a year or two ago, I was in first class with Kent Dana and his family, is he considered a celeb, or just a TV news personality?
Old Aug 3, 2004, 8:33 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
I have seen Mike Tyson at both Phoenix and Las Vegas airports. More than a few years ago, he was trying to get on at PHX LAS flight and did not have a confirmed reservation. When they called standby's, they gave him a boarding pass and he threw a fit that he was not in F. He just couldnt understand why HP wouldnt boot somebody out so HE could get a F seat. Sorry Charlie, I mean Mike.

I have also sat across the aisle from Dan Quayle on a flight.

Sean Combs sat behind me in F on a LAS PHX flight not all that long ago.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 8:00 am

Programs: Ozark Airlines--Lifetime Platinum, Braniff---Diamond, Eastern--Plutonium Motel 6--Guest of the Month
Barry Bonds in PHX

We were heading home from PHX in late Spring this year, right after spring training ended...walking by the HP Club in PHX and lo and behold out walks Barry Bonds...heading over to Burger King to get a snack....asked if he would take a pic with my boys...he was actually glad to.....was somewhat upset cuz his flight was delayed for an hour....while waiting in line at BK he was somewhat upset, but as soon as the camera came out, instantaneous smile.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
I have seen Mike Tyson at both Phoenix and Las Vegas airports. More than a few years ago, he was trying to get on at PHX LAS flight and did not have a confirmed reservation. When they called standby's, they gave him a boarding pass and he threw a fit that he was not in F. He just couldnt understand why HP wouldnt boot somebody out so HE could get a F seat. Sorry Charlie, I mean Mike.
Mike had better get used to flying in coach. The way things are going for him he will have to get on greyhound for his next match.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 9:54 pm

A few years ago I sat across from Richard Simmons in F going ORD-LAS. Last July POD was in F on my ORD-LAS flight.They were going on to SAN.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 10:11 pm

sat across the aisle from geneveve (SP) the designer from trading spaces in FC. nyc-lax (through phx). she met, who seemed to be, her boyfriend in the baggage claim and he was the guy from junkyard wars.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 6:48 am

Programs: UA Premier, DL Silver
Last year on a flight from PHX to PHL, I was in FC with Chubby Checker and a singer from the group Linkin Park. Several people, including the Linkin Park singer, had their pictures taken with Chubby Checker.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 4:52 pm

Unhappy

Sat across from Dennis Greene (just a day or 2 before the Cardinals announced him as their new coach) on a SAN-PHX. Sat in front of Mark Grace also SAN-PHX. Strangest though was ERW-PHX. Had the band Quiet Riot (anybody remeber them?) board just ahead of me. They went back to coach, and I was in first. I felt kinda bad...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.