Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Few Miles Unofficial Guide mentions possible fare-matching for EXP. Reality?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2004, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (home of the "Comfort Mileage Run")

Few Miles Unofficial Guide is valuable, though sometimes out-of-date. Does AA in fact, still fare-match for EXPs? The Guide lists it as an extra undocumented feature.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
My travel agent has been able to get AA to match competitor's fares in the past regardless of status. That is about the only circumstance where I use a travel agent in this day and age.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by AuAAdvantage
Few Miles Unofficial Guide is valuable, though sometimes out-of-date. Does AA in fact, still fare-match for EXPs? The Guide lists it as an extra undocumented feature.
Yes, I got it last night from a wonderful EXP AAgent. This was the first time I had asked for it.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 9:48 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM; US PP; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Wegmans Shoppers Club; ExxonMobil Speedpass
I get fare-matched all the time through my TA. There's a dedicated desk they have to call which only operates during CST business hours but my hit rate is close to 100% on it. I recently booked SJC-LAX-IAD-LAX-SJC, AA fare came back at close to $900, fare matched down to $380, which somehow fit with a Frontier itinerary that met the criteria. Usually AmericaWest comes into the equation for me.

twj
Old Aug 4, 2004, 9:54 am
Val

Programs: AA Platinum, 2 Million Miles
I also use my company TA to fare match.

General rule is, the competing flight must be within a 2 hour window of the AA flight, and only if they are not close to selling out the flight.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 11:56 am

I assume they are only matching identical routings, and not matching fares with stops to the same destination as an AA non-stop?

Has anyone had success with this also?
Old Aug 4, 2004, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Do they fare match international itineraries too?

Also, what details do you have to give them about the competitive route and price you are trying to get them to match? Or do you just say " ... I want to go A>B>A and please fare match it."?

Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 1:34 pm
Val

Programs: AA Platinum, 2 Million Miles
My travel department calls their rep desk at AA, and says, "I need a fare match for these flights against Northwest."

The AA person considers the request based upon the schedule, and the flight loads. Often they say, "We cant do the 5:00pm. How about the 7:00pm?"

My agent accepts the 7:00pm, and I go standby on the 5:00pm.

And yes, they do international. Going to CPH in november for $250 less than the posted AA fare.

Originally Posted by inlanikai
Do they fare match international itineraries too?

Also, what details do you have to give them about the competitive route and price you are trying to get them to match? Or do you just say " ... I want to go A>B>A and please fare match it."?

Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 5:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by JimLeo
I assume they are only matching identical routings, and not matching fares with stops to the same destination as an AA non-stop?

Has anyone had success with this also?
I've had mixed results with the fare matches our corp department has handled. They generally do come back with a fare match, but sometimes will tack on a premium for the non-stop if you're sending them a competing itinerary with a connections. I'm not sure what the reasoning was for the surcharge on the cases that they came back, but I'm guessing load and/or level of competitor comes into play.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, 1 MM
Does anyone know if we can do fare matches ourselves, without going through a TA?
Old Aug 4, 2004, 9:47 pm
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
FlyerTalk Travel Agency

Originally Posted by Mormik
Does anyone know if we can do fare matches ourselves, without going through a TA?
What we need is more clout and collective bargaining power. I wonder how much annual revenue FlyerTalk Travel Agency(TM) would have...
Old Aug 4, 2004, 10:05 pm

Programs: TK C+, AA/AS nothing, BA nothing
hehe FTTA(TM)

I call president!

"Fly with us! We get miles everytime we issue your ticket!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.