Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Bellevue Dresden, Germany [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2002, 5:44 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Arrow Westin Bellevue Dresden, Germany [Master Thread]

I had a reservation for the Dresden Westin for 20/21 Dec 02.

Just got a call that they have to cancel the Reservation.
Because of damages due to the recent flooding they will stay closed till Jan03.

The FourPoints is either closed, too, or it has no rooms available for all the dates I tried out.

So no other *wood hotel in town. And no help offered in rebooking or such. As they seem to have a real mess there and have to cancel so much reservations I guess this is O.K.

I will change my plans to a night in the Leipzig Fürstenhof now (and will visit Dresden by rail then. Hope I can change my flight plans...). It is much more expensive but it seems to be a very nice one - belongs to the luxury collection.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 7:07 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
What a pity. The hotel is located just on the other side of the Elbe than the "Zwinger". The hotel's web site http://www.westin-bellevue.de/ gives some information about the damage.

BTW, there's also the hotel Elephant in Weimer in the area. Maybe another option?!
Old Feb 8, 2003, 8:10 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
AHGZ reports that the Westin re-opened on 06-Feb-2003 (after 6 months renovation). The owner of the real estate (Deutsche Interhotel Holding GmbH) also refurbished the restaurants and made improvements on some floors (though not damaged by the flood).
Old Jul 17, 2003, 4:20 am

Westin Bellevue, Dresden

Nice property including an 18th century architecture old wing. Property was badly damaged during the Elbe flooding in 2001 and has not completely recovered by now, especially the gardens. On the plus side, public spaces and some of the rooms are now better than they were before. Biggest plus of the Bellevue is, as the name implies, it's location right on the river bank with great views of the historic city skyline. You can leave the hotel through the garden, cross a bridge and will be right in the centre of everything.

Was upgraded to a nice two room suite with a so-so view of the Elbe. Got pralines and a nice red bath towel. One great thing about this hotel is that it has SPG written all over the place. They really seem to care for the program and it's members. This was the only hotel during my trip where platinum status and type of room upgrade was mentioned during the check-in process. Staff was - with no exceptions - very friendly and efficient.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 30, 2008 at 12:00 am Reason: copied from report on several hotels
Old Jul 17, 2003, 6:16 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Thanks very much for your report. Since we are going East Germany in August, your report was so helpful.

I have some questions here regarding Westin Bellevue at Dresden:

<<it's location right on the river bank with great views of the historic city skyline.>>

<<Was upgraded to a nice two room suite with a so-so view of the Elbe.>>

What's wrong with your view? I guessed that your room was facing to river and city skyline. So-so view means ?

<<You can leave the hotel through the garden, cross a bridge and will be right in the centre of everything.>>

How long does it take to the center of histrical area?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 17, 2003, 7:08 am

You have a nice view to Dresden (Semper Oper ...) from most rooms/windows facing the Elbe River. He may had a room where the view was disturbed by trees etc.

You can walk to the old part of Dresden in about 5 minutes. The bridge is near the hotel.

We had a boat tour on an old wheel steam boat on River Elbe. Very interesting.

BTW, there are some nice restaurants in Dresdner Neustadt, part of Dresden where the hotel is located. Some are in walking distance, some are a bit further away.

Added:
MoritzK - thanks for the nice report.
I agree with your comments regarding Westin Berlin and Dresden, I have not been to the other Starwoods you are mentioning. The staff in Dresden was really, really nice.

[This message has been edited by USAFAN (edited 07-17-2003).]
Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:23 pm

Dresden where we stayed at the Westin Bellevue. We had trouble figuring out how to drive our car to the front of the hotel, as I ended up being trapped in the hotel parking lot a few paces from the front of the hotel. Because Mrs. L.P. travels with full, heavy suitcases, it was important for us to pull up in front of the hotel to unload. I walked the 30 paces to the hotel, and was given directions how to have the parking lot gate lifted to pass. We were given room 327 in the older part of the hotel which was build by the East German regime for their bureauocrats in the mid-80s and Westin later came in and added a major addition and conference center about 8 years ago.

Our corner suite consisted of a study and large living room, our bedroom, and a very modern bath with a view overlooking the Elbe about 100 feet away, and the old town just across the river. Upon inspection, the room, the hall, and the public rooms felt as if they were just finished and we were the first guests using the facility. This was the largest room (suite) we had during our Starwood tour. Because there was no concierge lounge, breakfast was included in the main dining room with our room, and it was outstanding.

There were two minor glitches, one which I have reported on the thread about ammenity points. I was expecting to ask and to receive 500 points for my stay as a Platinum member, but upon checkin, this was not a choice, and I settled for a bottle of Chilean Sauvigenon Blanc. We asked about an activity we hoped to do, and were referred to the Concierge who turned out to be a hired gun in the office of a travel agent just down the hall. We were not warmly received and left feeling that this agent resented being asked if she was the concierge, and that she did not have information that we wanted. A second visit found this person slightly more friendly, but that was in the presence of her boss. The front desk staff, the bell staff, and the very busy dining room staff (there must have been 4 bus loads of tourists all having breakfast at the same time and leaving at the same time) provided exceptional service.

Dresden has a wonderful old town with lots of cultural activity, and those of you who might be considering a visit, should be encouraged to do so and to visit a number of spectacular tourist attractions. We decided this town is going to be a hot spot for tourists when more of the reconstruction is completed, and the Westin Belluvue is well situated to capitalize on future developments.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 30, 2008 at 12:07 am Reason: copied from another thread where several hotels were reviewed
Old Jan 8, 2006, 3:16 am

Nice Stay at the Westin Dresden got an upgrade to a junior suite. Staff was very very helpful. My suite definitly was an old one :-)
Note to myself: Next time park in front of the building (6 Euro per Day) instead of 15 Euro on the hotel-parking lot 3 meters away.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:39 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Recent reports on hotels in Dresden?

Searching doesn't provide many threads (and certainly no recent ones) on the two Starwood properties in Dresden. Does anyone have any recent reports?
Also, do folks have any information about how easy it is to get from the Four Points outside of town into downtown Dresden?
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:34 am

I stayed at the Westin on points in October, and was very pleased. As a gold, I was upgraded to a river/city view room, which was recently renovated and included a "complementary mini-bar". The mini bar wasn't packed, but included a couple of soft drinks, beers and chocolate.

The hotel is in the ideal location for a visit to Dresden, only steps across the bridge from the center of town. We were there on vacation, but I assume it would be equally convienient for a business trip.

Staying on points, breakfast was not included, and it was something like 30Euros p.p., so we didn't try it. I understand that they do have a great breakfast if you are lucky enough to have a rate which includes it.

We arrived and departed by train, and used the closer "neuve" station, rather than the central station.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by rhetor
Searching doesn't provide many threads (and certainly no recent ones) on the two Starwood properties in Dresden. Does anyone have any recent reports?
Also, do folks have any information about how easy it is to get from the Four Points outside of town into downtown Dresden?
We have stayed at the Westin, had a nice corner room facing the Elbe Valley and Altstadt. Short walk over the bridge to city center. The service was very friendly.

I don't know the Four Points, but looked this up at Tripadvisor.com:

"...This hotel is located a few miles away from the Dresden Altstadt, however it is very easy to get there. Just walk around the corner and take the number 9 streetcar and it will take to you to PostPlatz or TheaterPlatz in no time.. "

BTW, Dresden is very nice. You may go to VW's Glaeserne Manufactur, where VW produces the Phaeton and other de lux cars... you have to make reservations.
http://www.glaesernemanufaktur.de
Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:34 pm

Any news ? Will be there on points in December ? So last time I askes for a loung some one provided a picture from the hotel web prescence and I feld stupid. I try to do better this time. I searched and found
this http://www.starwoodhotels.com//pub/m...o.34116_md.jpg
Does not look like a lounge to me ?
Old Nov 3, 2006, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Take it for granted: There is no lounge but the Platinum treatment is great there. I normally stay there on rates of about 120 Euro, regulary take advantage of the BRG (Expedia or HRS are close to always cheaper) and enjoy a three room suite. I love that hotel!!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:17 am

Westin Bellevue Dresden

Just a quick report. I stayed here for 2 days in late August. Staff was very helpful and friendly. The room had a good view of the old town across the river. As a gold, I was upgraded to the top floor as I had already booked the river-view side. I realized that I probably would have been upgraded to river-view side if I had booked a more standard room. I did miss not having a coffee maker in the room, though.
It was a great location along the river with lovely gardens and path right out front. An easy walk across the bridge to the old quarter. The area around the hotel is also very pleasant for walking and outdoor cafes. There is a nice pool area that opens on to the gardens. A lot has been accompished in Dresden and I would highly recommend it and I would definitely stay at the Westin again.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Eastern Germany

Westin Bellevue Dresden

I was not upgraded to a suite at the Westin Bellevue Dresden, but the room was nice and had a view of the Elbe River and old city. Since I was only here for one night, it was just fine.

I felt like the only American in all of these hotels during the first week of November. There was one group of French tourists at the Hotel Elephant in Weimar, all the rest of the hotel guests spoke German.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 30, 2008 at 12:04 am Reason: copied from a post on several German starwoods

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.