Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Changes to fare downgrade and fare upgrade policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2004, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond

Domestic Fare Downgrade and Upgrade Policy Change

Posted: Auguest 5, 2004

Effective August 4, 2004, Delta has implemented some new changes to policies and procedures for downgrades and upgrades for domestic tickets. These new policies and procedures apply to all tickets regardless of issue or travel date. The policy will apply for travel within the 50 U.S. states, to/from U.S/Canada and Puerto Rico/U.S. Virgin Islands, US./Canada transborder.

Downgrades:

Completely unused published fare tickets may be downgraded to a lower published fare provided all rules are met. Partially used tickets may not be downgraded and refunds/credits will not apply for previously flown travel. When a new published fare is introduced or a current published fare is reduced in a market, ticketed passengers may downgrade prior to departure of the origination flight under the following conditions:

No changes are permitted to the flight/date/origin/destination or stopover point.
Existing reservation must already be confirmed in or rebooked in the appropriate class of service for the new fare.
Passenger must re-qualify for the new/reduced fare by meeting all restrictions, including advance reservations and ticketing requirements. If the new fare has a ticketing deadline, the ticket must be reissued by that date. If the original ticket was nonrefundable and the new ticket is refundable, the nonrefundable provision and amount of the original ticket must be maintained. Indicate nonrefundable amount as an endorsement. Example: NONREF/$345US
Travel agents can downgrade an agency issued ticket, with a published fare, provided the agency originally issued the ticket. Agency should issue a nonrefundable MCO valid for future Delta services. Applicable ASC will apply.
Travel agency refund to original form of payment for nonrefundable tickets – not applicable.
Web fares are eligible for downgrades. ASC fee applies
Upgrades:

Upgrades apply for domestic, published fare tickets. The new policy will apply to all tickets regardless of issue or travel dates. Completely unused tickets may be upgraded to a higher fare provided all rules are met. Partially used tickets may not be upgraded. When a passenger requests to change a nonrefundable fare to a higher published fare (refundable or nonrefundable), ticketed passengers may upgrade prior to departure of the originating flight under the following conditions:

No changes are permitted to the flight/date/origin/destination or stopover point.
Passengers’ existing reservation must be rebooked in the appropriate class of service for the higher fare.
Passengers must re-qualify for the higher published fare by meeting all restrictions, including advance reservations and ticketing requirements.
If the new fare has a ticketing deadline, the ticket must be reissued by that date.
If the original ticket is nonrefundable and the new ticket is refundable, the nonrefundable provision and amount of the original ticket must be maintained. Indicate nonrefundable amount as an endorsement. Example: NONREF/$345US
ASC fee will be waived if a passenger is requesting a change from a published nonrefundable fare to any higher published fare (refundable or nonrefundable) and all booking and ticketing rules have been met.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rcs85551
ASC fee will be waived if a passenger is requesting a change from a published nonrefundable fare to any higher published fare....
As I see it, this is the real news here.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold

ASC fee will be waived if a passenger is requesting a change from a published nonrefundable fare to any higher published fare (refundable or nonrefundable) and all booking and ticketing rules have been met.
^ Very sensible change by DL that addresses the previous illogical policy of charging a change fee to upgrade a ticket. We've often complained about the past policy in this forum. Thanks for the heads up rcs85551.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 4:50 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Maybe this is the beginning of the "new Delta" which is trying to be passenger friendly. I am an ultimate optimist!
Old Aug 5, 2004, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Just checking, can one still do same-day standby without upgrading one's ticket?
Old Aug 5, 2004, 5:24 pm

ASC fee will be waived if a passenger is requesting a change from a published nonrefundable fare to any higher published fare
Good news: This is a positive change.

Bad news: I have paid the $100 to upgrade a fare way too many times.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 6:04 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
Just checking, can one still do same-day standby without upgrading one's ticket?
You mean same-day confirmed? Yes. $25 fee applies except Gold and Platinum Medallions.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by JS
You mean same-day confirmed? Yes. $25 fee applies except Gold and Platinum Medallions.
Actually, standby has been back for a while, at least for GM and PM.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about/...erms/index.jsp
Old Aug 5, 2004, 9:02 pm

So if you go from a U to a T because of a lower fare, with no flight changes, they charge $100. This erases any savings you might of had.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Miles Man
So if you go from a U to a T because of a lower fare, with no flight changes, they charge $100. This erases any savings you might of had.
Please explain your logic as I do not read rcs85551's post to relect what you have said.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 10:30 pm

I just called DL today about two tickets I previously purchased. The tickets were in U class at a price of $298. I was told if I downgraded to T for the $208 fare, i'd have to pay a $100 change fee. If I upgraded to the K fare of $258 I would get a $40 credit. Since it was a cheap K fare and I need the MQM, that is what I did.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond

Existing reservation must already be confirmed in or rebooked in the appropriate class of service for the new fare.
Passenger must re-qualify for the new/reduced fare by meeting all restrictions, including advance reservations and ticketing requirements. If the new fare has a ticketing deadline, the ticket must be reissued by that date. If the original ticket was nonrefundable and the new ticket is refundable, the nonrefundable provision and amount of the original ticket must be maintained. Indicate nonrefundable amount as an endorsement. Example: NONREF/$345US
Travel agents can downgrade an agency issued ticket, with a published fare, provided the agency originally issued the ticket. Agency should issue a nonrefundable MCO valid for future Delta services. Applicable ASC will apply.
Travel agency refund to original form of payment for nonrefundable tickets – not applicable.
Web fares are eligible for downgrades. ASC fee applies
I guess it is in how you read it. I also read that it that ASC applies on all downgrades. But I suppose the first reference could be interpreted as for just for travel agent changes.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Smile

Effective August 4, 2004, Delta has implemented some new changes to policies and procedures for downgrades and upgrades for domestic tickets. These new policies and procedures apply to all tickets regardless of issue or travel date. The policy will apply for travel within the 50 U.S. states, to/from U.S/Canada and Puerto Rico/U.S. Virgin Islands, US./Canada transborder.
I used this quite extensivly this morning to upgrade quitre a number L/U/T segments to K. Delta has not yet up dated their computers and you have to ask whether your are being charged the $100 administrative service charge. It took a great deal of hold time but I did get the first flight changed. But once the the reservationist knew the keystrokes, the other flight changes went fast. The only fly in the ointment was a American Eagle code share that was a paper ticket, that forced me to trot down to the airport and I have to compliment the Skywest counter perosn, she knew exactly what to do and didn;t need to get on the phone.

Most of the upgrades cost $50-60. On one, the K fare was less than the L/U fares I had ticket. I was facing the $100 fee minus the difference in fares. Delta waived the $100 ASC and gave me $7.64 in Delta bucks!!!

Now I'm all set to fly 16k miles in K/Q/M by 11/30/04 and get GM status through 2/2006.

Not bad!
Old Aug 17, 2004, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Wow! This is great! Now, through the end of the year, I will travel on mostly full Y fares. I am willing to bet that on more than one occasion, I will be able to uprade to an A fare, and get a credit! This is a GREAT change for international travel as well. An example, one calls DL to go from JFK-BOM, and of course, there are no B/E seats available for upgrade. What to do? Buy the lowest fare, and constantly call back, and if upgrade seats open up, pay to upgrade your fare at no charge, and confirm the upgrade. If no seats open up, save the money and endure torture class!
Old Aug 17, 2004, 4:15 pm

MachOne, what was your routing that the K was cheaper? Just curious!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.