Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

FTers who fly for work -- what kind of job do you have?

Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus

And more importantly, are you hiring?

My employer flew me to Southern California for a conference this last spring and I was ecstatic. I like my current job, but would also like to think about career options in terms of jobs that would give me some frequent travel!
Old Aug 13, 2004, 1:48 pm

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
We are hiring project managers. It can be up to 50% international flying, depending on the project.

Though you may lose your enthusiasm after numerous 20-hour flights in coach.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 1:54 pm

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
Our territories can have a little as a flight every quarter to flying almost weekly (all of our territories are at least 50% travel). We're not hiring right now, but the PM job sounds interesting...
Old Aug 13, 2004, 4:42 pm
Original Member

Well, I can't help you on the most important part of your question very much.

I'm an independent computer consultant. Live in Florida, work everywhere else.

I could point you to some companies and consulting firms I've worked with in the past few years if you have solid Oracle 10-grid or Hyperion Essbase experience.

...but then, if you had that, you probably wouldn't need me!

Best of luck, with a warning...if you get into this, it CAN be addictive and have negative effects on your ever being able to hold a "regular job" again. Don't say you weren't warned.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 5:03 pm

Programs: COPP/UAGS SPG Platinum, USAir Gold Hyatt Diamond, Amex Centurion
Pr

Originally Posted by plinko
And more importantly, are you hiring?

My employer flew me to Southern California for a conference this last spring and I was ecstatic. I like my current job, but would also like to think about career options in terms of jobs that would give me some frequent travel!
I run a Public Relations/Marketing agency with clients globally. I thought 200k miles a year was fun at first.

At first.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I work in the IT department of a law firm with 3 offices. I travel some to the other 2 offices, an occasional conference or an occasional trial out of town.

I'm still waiting for that business trip to Europe or Asia, though.

Originally Posted by rbrenton88
Though you may lose your enthusiasm after numerous 20-hour flights in coach.
I dunno... I think I would refuse to fly coach for business on a flight over 6 hours.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a lawyer who practices intellectual property litigation -- primarily trademark and copyright infringement. My clients are all over the US and Canada, and can wind up getting sued anywhere, so I have to fly.

And, yes, we are hiring, but you need a license to practice law and a book of paying clients.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 8:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; HHonors Diamond
Plinko,

I am not a MM flyer, I log somewhere between 50-60K a year all domestic and most of the flights are Western US. Regional Sales Manager keeps me at Gold Level on Alaska Airlines and Platinum with the HHonors program. Most of my flights are under 3 hours, so if I don't get upgraded to F it's not horrible.

I am gone from home (wife 3 kids) 2-3 days weekly. My wife is patient and understanding.

Good luck with the travel pursuit.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I work in sales for a large software company. When selling software to large corporate customers, there are three main people involved - Account Managers, who manage relationships, Soultions people who delve into business problems and make suggestions and me, the technical sales person that knows how the software actually works.

I work in our Media and Entertainment division and fly between JFK-LAX at least once a week visiting customers and keeping the sales guys honest.

I should also add that hnechets has a valid point above in that having a job like this makes it extremely difficult to work a "regular" job. Occasionally, I'll have a full week at "home" and I'm at a loss as to what to do with my time. I'll never be able to work a 9-5 job after doing this.

Last edited by gnedge; Aug 13, 2004 at 10:53 pm
Old Aug 14, 2004, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I like working for start-up technology companies. Help design a widget, then help sell the widget to the world. Back in the dot-com era, we flew biz and first all over the world. Now it's mostly coach but still fun.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 5:34 am

Auditor - No
Old Aug 14, 2004, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, CM Gold, IHG Gold
Sound guy for international recording artist.

Fly between 100k-200k a year, but on many different airlines and private craft.

New artists are always hiring, as long as you have at least 10 years experience.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 9:27 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
International law and on very special occasions, translator. I am independant with clients all over the world. Since I have a laptop, I don't need any help any more, but could do with a good tax counselor.

Due to severe back aches, no Y for me. F wherever possible.
Over 200 K's a year, family life becomes a problem, but I am literally addicted to flying.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 4:35 pm

Postdoctoral researcher in the physics department at a major university. There are plenty of postdoc positions out there, only a Ph.D. in physics required with a thesis in a relevant subfield. Our group works on experiments at labs in Europe and Japan. We typically go to the experiments for a few weeks at a time; I logged about 50K miles last year. Unlike the previous posters, I sometimes find the concept of a "regular job" where you can be at home most of the time rather attractive.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K (only status that matters to me)
I work as an IT/clinical process consultant for a large healthcare consulting firm. Requires 100% travel (currently just within the U.S; hopefully international in the near future) and a strong background in healthcare (preferably as a clinician) and organizational/clinical process (you have know know the inner workings of hospital and clinic practices in order to get doctors/nurses to open up to making changes to their daily work practices). We're hiring like mad, but only if you have experience with any of the large clinical information systems vendors.

I too don't know what I'd do with myself if I had to be "grounded" five or more days a week. However, it's not a workstyle to consider lightly. Being on the road constantly is something you either thrive on/adjust to or it eats you up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.