Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2007, 8:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Arrow Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

this is a very good thread.

what's the latest thinking on each of these two properties (compare/contrast)?

thanks.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jan 19, 2009 at 6:51 pm Reason: Pre 2007 reports are at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-preferred-guest/912248-fort-lauderdale-hotel-pre-2007-discuss
Old Jan 12, 2007, 8:54 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Where we Belong

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
this is a very good thread.

what's the latest thinking on each of these two properties (compare/contrast)?

thanks.
That the Westin Diplomat remains one of the finest properties ever to fly the Westin Brand name in North America and has consistently proven itself through the years to be one of the most compliant hotels systemwide offering SPG guests excellent value across all spectrums.
The Westin Diplomat like a number of other Starwood properties continue to be the reason to remain Platinum or other such SPG elite tier.

The Westin Country Club and Spa is more for those seeking a greater level of privacy
with less floors to navigate and smack on the golf course. It has the superior fitness center to the Westin Diplomat and for some what really matters is it is right on the golf course. Walk outside the door and you are there as is the Spa and fitness center.For those staying at the Westin Diplomat Oceanfront a complimentary shuttle is available to take you to the more equipped fitness center at the Country Club should you want the best of both worlds

My stay at the Westin Diplomat this holiday season made me proud to have a long time relationship with the hotel and Starwood. And as always the upgrade was spectacular along with the stunning club lounge and it's excellent food and beverage offerings memorable.It is interesting to note that some of the original folks that started with the hotel still remain passionate about the hotel and satisfying SPG guests to the fullest extent^ ^ :-: :-: :-: :-:

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 13, 2007 at 9:15 am
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

great review. thank you.

i, too, love the westin diplomat...but, have never stayed at the (luxury collection) Country Club.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 6:58 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by clover
For starters, I emailed Amy Travis, Director of Revenue Mgt. to see what my chances of upgrade to a suite would be during our stay. I thought this would be easy since it seemed that the hotel had plenty of rooms left. Amy emailed me back quickly, but noted that my upgrade was not assured since they had a large group coming in that needed alot of suites. Amy also copied Tatiana Franco, Reservations Mgr. on her email. After another day of correspondence Tatiana called me to say that we had been confirmed into a corner suite! (this was important since our 17 yr. old daughter was traveling with us).

Thank you for posting the Managers name. Hubby & I will be returning to this property for our 5th stay at the end of this month. In the past, as a Platinum, almost as soon as I've made my 'general' reservation on the Starwood site, I've noticed it was changed/upgraded to Suite/Corner Suite/ Ocean View etc. This time, its been over 2 months and it still shows my originally reserved room: "Room Features: Superior Non-smoking, Heavenly Bed, Resort View, Separate Shower/bath, Large Marble Bathroom" I did note in my preferences that we would like a suite upgrade etc... and looking at the website there are still lots & lots of suites available. My stay is for only 2 nights and as it is a regular paid stay, I was just hoping that I'd once again get the upgrade. But your post has promted me to e mail Amy, just to make sure. Thanks!

PS__Checking the Westin Diplomat's website for Contact Us, I could only find the hotel's telephone number and mailing address. Do you have their e-mail address?? Thanks again!

Last edited by mauld; Jan 13, 2007 at 7:13 am Reason: additional question
Old Jan 17, 2007, 9:49 am

Westin Diplomat v. Westin Ft. Lauderdale

My husband and I are currently booked to stay at the Westin Diplomat over Presidents' Day weekend as it's located near family. Unfortunately, the family will not be in town that weekend and we were hoping to find a "hipper" location. It turns out that all of the Miami *wood hotels are either booked or unavailable for points, and we're flying into FLL anyway, so I thought I'd see if it was worth saving points to stay at the Westin Fort Lauderdale.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat
Check the Sheraton Bal Harbour - it's a bit closer to South Beach (97th at Collins) and IME, they tend to open up *point availability in block getting closer to your reservation date if they're not close to capacity.

Diplomat is a great property, particularly if you're a Platinum member, but there's not much to do other than a few shops, restaurant and sports bar across the street.

Bal Harbour is a $25 cab ride to South Beach.

Both properties have nice pools, are well-maintained, and are right on the beach.

If you're looking for a lower-end property, check the Yankee Trader - it's also on A1A across the street from the beach and is within walking distance to Beach Place, an open air complex of bars, restaurants, and nightclubs. Younger, spring break-like crowd.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by 76toPHL
Check the Sheraton Bal Harbour - it's a bit closer to South Beach (97th at Collins) and IME, they tend to open up *point availability in block getting closer to your reservation date if they're not close to capacity.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think they might currently be sold out altogether. I love shopping at the Bal Harbour mall and the location might be a good mid-way point between FLL and Miami.

Diplomat is a great property, particularly if you're a Platinum member, but there's not much to do other than a few shops, restaurant and sports bar across the street.
I know the property and the area well, and that's why we might try to stay somewhere else. Without a car, it's pretty dismal.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
If you're looking for hip location, the Westin FLL is worse than the Diplomat. Think corporate business park.

I like the hotel for what it is. But it's nowhere close to the Diplomat (not talking geographically there) - especially for a leisure trip.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:40 am
Suspended

its either The 4P but they are almost sold-out so its $500 a night, Bal-Harbour which still has Traditional rooms still available (so a free stay should be attainable) or maybe the New Westin in Coral Gables, OK its not on the Ocean but its suppose to be OK. The LM isnt in a good local either.

But most SPG Hotels simply dont have it when it comes to Location in this part of the woods. Keep in mind that with a Holiday weekend Ups will most likely not be there to be had , so cashing in for a free room will get you exactly what it says and will be far from the best in the House.

There is no other SPG Hotel that Id stay at down there if it was a vacation trip I was on, they are basically inland and not resorts and in Biz parks or next to one
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:48 am

It now looks like Le Meridien Sunny Isles is available. I still can't see Bal Harbour for that weekend. Any thoughts on that property?
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kersie
It now looks like Le Meridien Sunny Isles is available. Any thoughts on that property?
let the Search function be your friend.

(and, the diplomat is a great property.)
Old Jan 17, 2007, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
It now looks like Le Meridien Sunny Isles is available. property?
IMOH, nothing directly adjacent but tacky suburban style strip malls.....as suggested do a search for more information on the property itself.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:40 pm

Programs: HH diamond, Hyatt diamond, *wood plat, Delta Diamond 4th yr, SWA A List
Westin Ft Lauderdale

Originally Posted by belynch
If you're looking for hip location, the Westin FLL is worse than the Diplomat. Think corporate business park.

I like the hotel for what it is. But it's nowhere close to the Diplomat (not talking geographically there) - especially for a leisure trip.
Here now. It's out in the middle of a business park. Not much to do within walking distance, not even sure if it is safe to walk around this area. The pool area is nice but very loud private aircraft fly overhead constantly during the day. The lobby is modern and provided a nice scent. Room has old, stained, dirty, cigarette burned carpeting. Food service trays have been in the hallways for at least eight hours. Valet is reasonable price and quick. Would i come back here, no. I booked via priceline for $185. First room smelled like smoke, although whole hotel is nonsmoking, they moved me to a handicap room-it was large, but tile in bathroom is damaged and this carpeting is stained too.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
It now looks like Le Meridien Sunny Isles is available. I still can't see Bal Harbour for that weekend. Any thoughts on that property?
The standard rooms are very tiny. Basically, you barely have enough room to walk around the perimeter of the bed and I'm not joking. However, the bathroom relatively large about as big as the sleeping area. The suites are real nice if you can get one. The parking is $25 a day.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
The Westin Diplomat is the hotel that turned the tide for me and made me switch from Hilton to Starwood. They will treat you very well if you are a platinum. I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel...except that it is now a cat 5 rather than 4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.