Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Time to kill at/around LAX - what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Airpass, UA 1P, SPG Plat

Recently I've been taking the AA LAX-ORD redeye at 11:15 pm with no troubles. One time, however, I decided to try my luck and go standby on flight right before, a 5:20 departure (or thereabout).

Between having to run home early from work to pack, battling wonderful freeway traffic, and the like, I missed the early flight. So my question at this point is, do I battle traffic back home and then back again to the airport (I live in Hollywood Hills area) or just kill time by LAX? I figured even though there was a six hour gap, it didn't make sense to spend another two hours driving around, so I went to that Howard Hughes parkway mall and saw a movie, went to Borders, etc.

My question here is what would you do/where would you go if you had that much time to kill ... Airline club, hang around the terminal, back home, the mall, Santa Monica, etc?
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:07 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I think this thread gives you a bit of options

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306600
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
Good question. 6 hours is a LONG time to spend at the airport when you dont live all that far away, like yourself. I live in the Valley and it would probably take me 2 hours (or longer depending on how bad the 5pm traffic was) round trip driving as it was. I think if I decided not to go home I'd call friends in the area to see if they wanted to do dinner or something.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 8:47 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Was recently in that situation (having to take the redeye instead of the afternoon). Opted for the Santa Monica pier area that other posts have spoke of....indeed, it's a cool place to hang out. Took an inexpensive shuttle and got off at Venice Beach, ented a bike for $10 for the afternoon and rode along the paved path along the beach, rode up to the pier, etc.
The Marina Del Rey area is, as others have also said, a nice area to hang out...and a good place to enjoy late-afternoon dinner/sunset as well.
I didn't even think of the walk-over-to-In-&-Out-Burger option, but wish I had: when I lived in Northern California, I knew of people who made In & Out Burgers the 1st stop on their list on an L.A. road trip, as their burgers really are great. I've got a few more afternoons like that in L.A. coming up, so I'm keeping that in mind.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 11:54 pm

Programs: FT Member # 642
Post in Community. Maybe one of us will be around to meet you for a meal or drinks.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
If lugging bags around is not an issue -- i.e. they are checked onto the onward flight -- and the weather is pleasant, I second the idea of heading into Santa Monica/Venice Beach.

Best deal in town is The Big Blue Bus, which is the Santa Monica public transit line. For 75-cents you can get the #3 from Lot C at LAX into downtown SM, and ask for a transfer so you can catch the #2 which runs back towards Venice. It runs every 10-minutes, so no long waits. There are lots of schedule folders available at the front of each bus, so you can map your travels for the day. It takes about a half-hour to get into SM.

A good way to mingle with the locals too.

BTW, this bus system operates extensively throughout Beverly Hills, Westwood and points west of the LA city centre. And it is 50-cents a ride cheaper than LA's Metro system.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
You'd find me at In N Out! Double Double protein & animal style please!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.