Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Does Four Seasons Track Frequent Guests?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-PLT, UA-Prem, BA-Silver, SPG-PLT, Hyatt-PLT, Hilton-GLD

I know there have been some discussions about this in the past and have searched the archives, but it seems to be sparse on detail. Was just wondering whether or not anyone can actually confirm or deny that Four Seasons tracks individual frequent guests in any way.

From personal experience it seems to me that some individual properties do it (Aviara in my case) and lately as I have become a more frequent guest I appear to be getting the fruit plate / manager personalized note, etc. in my room. Also appears that I am getting marginally "better" rooms (quieter, closer, etc. depending on my room) but always within the same category.

What appears to be missing for me is being tracked on an overall corporate level. In the past 12 months have stayed at Aviara (3x), LA (1), HOU (1), BOS (2), SFO (2) and TOR (1) - sometimes with more than one room and mostly for multiple nites. Last minute one night trip to boston a few weeks ago resulted in a suite upgrade, which was the first time that happened and appeared to be more a result of a fully booked hotel and very high corporate rate.

Am I on the road to "recognition" so to speak or is this just something they don't do? Can anyone offer any concrete examples of being tracked and the perks that have arisen? The funny thing is I don't know that I want or need it with Four Seasons, I stay there because I think all their hotels are the best in their local areas and I like their overall level of service. I don't necessarily need upgrades as I book the minimum level to get me the type of room I would be happy with. Just so used to having a system like this everywhere else, was just wondering if I was missing something?
Old Sep 7, 2004, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
I used to work at the FS Boston. Believe me they track! We had codes in the res...RG(returning guest) PP(potential problem)....We also had gifts coordinating stays....25 stays a robe, 5-10 fruit, ect..... I think the unexpected gift marketing is so much better than Frequent guest programs where the guest feels they are entitled to "X". This way its a surprised and seen as a gift and somethng the hotel owes the guest.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 11:47 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I thought previous thread said they only track you if you book thru FS website? I wonder if this is still true.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by coplatua1k
I used to work at the FS Boston. Believe me they track! We had codes in the res...RG(returning guest) PP(potential problem)....We also had gifts coordinating stays....25 stays a robe, 5-10 fruit, ect..... I think the unexpected gift marketing is so much better than Frequent guest programs where the guest feels they are entitled to "X". This way its a surprised and seen as a gift and somethng the hotel owes the guest.
Did you have a code for a "known problem"? What sorts of things would get someone coded as a PP and how did it affect their treatment?
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
We also had that at the FS New York, (and starting getting gifts every time we stayed) but I wonder if the system keeps track - Prague, London, Bali etc. so they know how many times you have stayed in a FS hotel?
Old Sep 7, 2004, 7:51 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Without things like "membership numbers", how does the hotel track specific guests?

I have moved a couple of times (thus have different mailing addresses), don't always use the same credit card number to make the reservation, and many people have the same first and last name as I do (I never recall using my middle name or date of birth when making a reservation).
Old Sep 7, 2004, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Based on my experience. Yes they do, only the Four Seasons that you stayed at, not the reservation line when you call to book.

For eg, at Four Seasons Dallas, when ever I made a reservation via FS 800 number then I call the hotel to request a higher floor or something else, the hotel did a special request for me and mentioned that I'm one of the frequent guest with them and when the last time I was there and noted on my reservation "upgrade to next categories of room, if available at the time of check-in" They also mail me a promotion etc...........

I wish if the Four Seasons have a program where can be earn and redeem points for the stay, that would be great
Old Sep 8, 2004, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Individual hotels track as most are under management contract. We had VIP lists daily. The VIP list included return guests, suite reservations, celebs, and the ultra wealthy (shieks for example who took floors and tipped EVERYONE even those who ckecked them in and out). PP or Potential Problem guests were those who complained last trip or are frequent guests that DEMAND the highest level of attention. The PP made everyone aware to treat them with care. We occasionally got reservations from central res with codes as well. Central keeps track provided you book consistently through central reservations. If you change your address frequently or never use the same credit card its a good idea to keep your address in the data base up to date. Mr. Sharpe frowns on "typical" frequest programs. I can't say I blame him, the best reward is the unexpected reward.
Its difficultto manage the data base correctly. Even a smaller company like Aman had me listed with two different addresses. I wrote them and consolidated my data to one.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 7:34 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I'm a regular (3x a year for 5 years) at the FS Palm Beach, and they always take very good care of me.

Normally I book via Amex FHR. One time, I was with a group that paid for my booking (so I wasn't Amex FHR for the visit), but the hotel manager gave me the Amex FHR benefits anyway, without my asking - including a 3 category upgrade.

They also let me cancel after the cutoff once, without penalty.

My address and credit card numbers have changed, but they always know who I am. I know someone else with my exact same name, I suspect he'd get similar treatment at the property.

I've not been a repeat guest at other FS enough to see this at other of their properties (either local acknowledgement or acknowledgement of my regular stays in the network).

A co-worker of mine, who was the #1 pax on AA last year (personal telephone call of thanks from the Chairman), is a 50+ night a year FS guest. He tells me that he's recognized at most FS properties.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Getting recognized as an actual PERSON is always a lot nicer than being "remembered" because you have accumulated points.

I've been staying at the same hotel in Los Angeles for over four years. It's not a luxury hotel, and they actually do have a frequent guest program, but it's really nice because everyone recognizes me. Bellhops, doorman, front desk clerks, bartender, room service, etc. They all call me by name. The bellhops know when I check out I usually like to store my bag for the day, and frequently take my bag as I walk from the elevator to the front desk. They greet me by name as I step out of the cab. The front desk clerks do too, and they have my reservation pulled up before I reach the front desk. Stuff like this is great, and doesn't require a special colored card or a certain point balance.

Of course, there are advantages to the status thing. One time, I stayed at this chain's property in Washington D.C. I checked in and presented my credit card and frequent guest card. I was checked in and given my room. I went up to it, and I was a tad dissapointed. It was a virtualyl brand new hotel. So it was nice. But the room was small, and had a tiny window that looked out to different part of the building maybe 5 feet away. About 2 minutes after being in the room, the phone rang. It was the front desk. They told me they had a different room for me, and the girl that checked me in came up to the room to take me to a new one. Even offered to carry my bags! She took me to a much larger corner room. It was really nice. So, obviously, the status probably paid off in this case. Somewhere, somebody figured out a person with "status" checked in, and decided I needed a better room.

Now, what if my stays in L.A. were at real luxury place like the Four Seasons? If I stayed at the L.A. Four Seasons 20 or so times a year for three years, and that was the only one I ever stayed at, then one weekend went to another city and stayed at a Four Seasons there, would that hotel give a crap? Obviously, it would be nice to be "recognized" as a frequent guest at the other location. But on the flip side, that hotel has it's own share of frequent guests that THEY know personally, so I can understand why they would want to treat them special before the treated me special.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 7:28 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Although it has not been my normal pattern, in the past 3 months I've stayed at various FS (LAS, PRG, SIN, ATL). When I called the FS LAS yesterday to make a reservation for Thanksgiving weekend they were extremely cordial (as usual) and then asked me if I had been the same 'mauld' who had stayed in PRG, ATL etc. I said yes. She then went on to say, we just want to make sure we have all your stay information in one spot. So apparently, the LAS FS is trying to keep track of FS guests at any of their properties.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM AA, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by daniellam
Without things like "membership numbers", how does the hotel track specific guests?

I have moved a couple of times (thus have different mailing addresses), don't always use the same credit card number to make the reservation, and many people have the same first and last name as I do (I never recall using my middle name or date of birth when making a reservation).
Complete names, address, etc.

If you've moved, upon check-in and out, they always ask if your address is correct, if not you update it, so of course they have a file of all of your old addresses, (phone numbers) and current one - and it all goes to a central database for all of the properties, worldwide, to use.

Last edited by laxconnorw; Nov 26, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.