Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin vs. Sheraton Atlanta Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2004, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Westin vs. Sheraton Atlanta Airport

I've booked a room at the Westin Atlanta airport for an upcoming stay. In general, I prefer Westin to Sheraton, of course, and I've booked a junior suite at the Westin.

But I love airports. One of my favorite hotel stays ever on business was at the SAS at the Manchester UK airport - one of those airport hotels that's actually AT the airport, not just near it. My room overlooked jets as they loaded and unloaded. Hell for some, perhaps, but great fun for me. Similarly a recent stay at the Sheraton AT the Hartford Connecticut airport.

So can anyone tell me: does the Atlanta airport Sheraton have a vastly superior view of the airport, and rooms that are quite nice, if not necessarily as nice as the Westin? I still have time to change my reservation if I've chosen unwisely.

TIA.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 5:47 pm

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
The Westin Peachtree in Atlanta has one of the best views I have ever seen from a hotel. It's a massive cylindrical building - one of the tallest in the southland. If they put you upstairs you will (if you're anything like me) spend HOURS staring out the window.

The internet was a little slow but it worked. The checkin people are awful. The food and beverage people are really good and the food we had was GREAT. The location is also really good - CNN is like two blocks or something, and you can take a tour.

I'm assuming you were talking about the Westin Peachtree....
Old Sep 11, 2004, 5:59 pm

Westin vs. Sheraton

I'd have to agree the Westin Peachtree is very nice.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I know the Peachtree is nice, but no, it's not the one I meant (though looking back at the original message subject, I can see how you'd think that).

There are about 4 Westins in Atlanta. The Peachtree is downtown, about an hour or so from the airport if traffic is thick, which it often is in Atlanta. I need to be near the airport, since I have an early flight out the next morning, and I hate getting up so early I have to leave the hotel before breakfast is available (which I'd have to do if I stay at the Peachtree).

The Westin I've booked is the Westin Atlanta Airport. It's a block or two from the airport, and the Sheraton I'm wondering about is across the street.

Last edited by Helena Handbaskets; Sep 11, 2004 at 8:21 pm
Old Sep 12, 2004, 8:25 am

Another factor, not sure if its important to you or not, but the Sheraton Gateway has free parking, while the Westin Airport is paid parking.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Good to know. Thanks, Commie.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:22 pm

Both of them are too far away from the airport to have any view of the airport.

Both the hotels can have terrible service at times and the Westin has better rooms. These hotels are best used just for a night's sleep when you arrive or before departing. Don't have any more expectations.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 10:20 am
Original Poster

There we go. Just the kind of information I was looking for.

Thanks, Venk.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 4:28 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
I spent 2 night at the Westin in July and like you I like looking at planes. I asked for a airport side view and they put upgraded me on top floor (exec floor) where I had a view of incoming planes landing. The clerk at the front desk smiled when I asked that because she told me that most people ask for a room opposite to the airport. One of the runway threshold is quite close to the hotel, depending of the wind you could be lucky.

I think the Shraton is further away from the runways...
Old Sep 14, 2004, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVP, HH Diamond, *Wood Plat
I'd do a search on both properties. There have been some very negative reviews of the Westin ATL (including one by me). I've had much better experiences at the Sheraton.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks, LightningGuy. I actually came across that thread yesterday, and yes, I noted the negative reviews (was yours the one with the woman being assaulted in the hallway?), and thought about switching to the Sheraton. But there were enough positive or at least neutral experiences also posted to make me think it's not a bad property so long as you're lucky enough not to have to confront a sometimes inept management/staff. My expectations now are pretty much in line with Venk's statement above, though 767300ER's comments are a bonus, and definitely sway me to the Westin.

Besides, at the Westin I was able to get a junior suite for, like, $120 or $129, while the Sheraton didn't seem to have a comparable deal.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:06 am
Original Poster

For the sake of anyone else who may find this thread in a future search, my junior suite room was quite nice, about double the standard room size, with a panoramic sweep of windows and a fair view of one side of the airport. I had no problems at all with service or any other element of the stay. The Sheraton is actually closer to the airport, though it seemed like it might be turned at an angle that would offer few, if any good views of the airport. Perhaps of more importance to some readers, the Sheraton, while it is "across the street" from the Westin, that street is an interstate, and the route to the Westin on the shuttle bus from the airport is several minutes longer than to the Sheraton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.