Wiki Posts
Search

Plat. Challenge/Plat. Requalifying Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Airpass, UA 1P, SPG Plat
Question Plat. Challenge/Plat. Requalifying Question

I believe I've seen on here that one cannot take a platinum challenge more than once (or at least in consecutive years). I am currently enrolled in the challenge and will qualify in a week, but also have enough flights booked in the next few months to qualify with 50,000+ EQMs anyways.

So would you recommend that I cancel the challenge and wait out Platinum until December (when I would normally qualify), or take the challenge now and kind of exhaust that option? I'm leaning towards cancelling the challenge, since that way I can challenge in 2006 when I'm back down to gold and stay at plat. Also, I figure I can already earn upgrade stickers, book exit rows and such, so except for the 100% bonus (valuable, I know) I can wait it out.

If this is a repetitive post, I apologize. But wanted to hear people's thoughts, as well as to know if the plat. challenge can be taken more than once, so long as it's not to requalify for plat. right away.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Phipps; Sep 30, 2004 at 9:19 pm
Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:24 pm

Interesting question. It doesn't seem that doing the challenge in 2004 and then again in 2006 would be considered "consecutive years", especially since you'll be also flying 50,000 miles before the end of 2004. Thoughts?
Personally, I'd do the challenge and accrue the extra bonus miles and bennies, and worry about 2006 two years from now. Who knows what AAdvantage will be like by then... the challenges might not even exist anymore. I know for a fact that a Plt. challenge can be done more than once in someone's lifetime. How often, that I'm not sure.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:42 pm
LLZ

Originally Posted by honu
Interesting question. It doesn't seem that doing the challenge in 2004 and then again in 2006 would be considered "consecutive years", especially since you'll be also flying 50,000 miles before the end of 2004. Thoughts?
Personally, I'd do the challenge and accrue the extra bonus miles and bennies, and worry about 2006 two years from now. Who knows what AAdvantage will be like by then... the challenges might not even exist anymore. I know for a fact that a Plt. challenge can be done more than once in someone's lifetime. How often, that I'm not sure.
I would agree. This has certainly been done before by others here and by someone I know that's not on FT....so it's hardly uncommon. What's definitely not allowed is to requalify for the status while you still have it based on a challenge.

I don't think you'll have a problem doing it again in 2006, and that's if you have to....how can you be sure you won't fly 50K again in 2005? Go ahead and finish it, and enjoy your 100% bonus with your upcoming trips, all through next year, and until Feb of 2006. That also gives you plenty of time to plan requalifying again if your normal travels don't quite make 50K.

Also, as honu mentioned, it's possible they might not even be around. There's nothing to indicate either way, whatsoever, this will be the case. But, it's an unpublished thing that AA can change, add or subtract at will, any time, with no notice whatsoever.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 8:58 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Hyatt Discoverist
On a hopefully related note....

I took the PLAT challenge June 16 and qualified. I'm under the impression I will now have PLAT status through March 2006. However, the PLAT card I received only takes me through 02/05.
Who's right? Ordinarily, I wouldn't sweat the cards, but I might do some international travel next year and would love to have lounge access, which might be facilitated with a current card.
Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 9:19 am

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
My wife took the Platinum challenge early last year and qualified by April. For the remainder of the year she flew only enough to qualify for Gold this calendar year. She took the Platinum challenge again this year and requalified. That's two years consecutive but nobody at AA said anything.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by murrayhill
I took the PLAT challenge June 16 and qualified. I'm under the impression I will now have PLAT status through March 2006. However, the PLAT card I received only takes me through 02/05.
Who's right? Ordinarily, I wouldn't sweat the cards, but I might do some international travel next year and would love to have lounge access, which might be facilitated with a current card.
Thanks in advance.
Your card is correct. Per the fewmiles Unofficial Guide:
Challenges started in the first half of the calendar year (01Jan - 01Jun) will give you elite status to the end of the current membership year only. Challenges started in the latter half of the calendar year (16Jun - 16Dec) will earn you elite status for the remainder of the current membership year as well as for the following membership year.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 9:37 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Do the Challenge! I'm in the same situation. I did the Challenge and qualified in August, but will (would've) qualified on my own by November. The upside is that I'm collecting the bonus miles as a Platinum early.

You never know what might happen with frequent flyer programs or airlines. Enjoy the bonus miles and enhanced opportunities for upgrades while you can get them.

Just my opinion, YMMV.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
Do the Challenge! I'm in the same situation. I did the Challenge and qualified in August, but will (would've) qualified on my own by November. The upside is that I'm collecting the bonus miles as a Platinum early.

You never know what might happen with frequent flyer programs or airlines. Enjoy the bonus miles and enhanced opportunities for upgrades while you can get them.

Just my opinion, YMMV.
flyastrojets- EXP this year? Only one thing sweeter to a former AA employee than making PLT... making EXP! For me, it should be AA67 ORD-DFW 11/19/2004. (Not that I'm keeping track. )
Old Oct 1, 2004, 11:37 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Originally Posted by mwhitted
flyastrojets- EXP this year? Only one thing sweeter to a former AA employee than making PLT... making EXP! For me, it should be AA67 ORD-DFW 11/19/2004. (Not that I'm keeping track. )
Tease!
Old Oct 3, 2004, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by mwhitted
Your card is correct. Per the fewmiles Unofficial Guide:
Actually, what I meant to say is I started the PLAT challenge on 6/16. So I'm under the impression I'd be good through 2006. I'm trusting (naive?) that the AAdvantage or PLAT hotline will be able to sort this out. Anybody get any flack when they didn't get their card?
Old Oct 3, 2004, 8:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Forget "trusting" - on my dollar bill, it says "In God we trust", nothing about an airline there... Call AA and tell 'em what you told us. STARTING a Plat challenge on June 16, you should be Plat until March 1, 2006.

Originally Posted by murrayhill
Actually, what I meant to say is I started the PLAT challenge on 6/16. So I'm under the impression I'd be good through 2006. I'm trusting (naive?) that the AAdvantage or PLAT hotline will be able to sort this out. Anybody get any flack when they didn't get their card?
One thing I'd point out to those who think maybe they won't do it now, but will later - the challenge is an undocumented benefit, and there's no guarantee it will be around in, say, 2006. I do think it is a differentiating feature AA can benefit from, but you never can tell when someone could see it form a mere beancounting perspective and get out the scissors.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 1:36 pm

All's well that ends well, I think

Chatted with affable chap at AAdvantage customer service and after extended time on phone had it straightened out. Seems they had me starting a Gold challenge on May 1 and the PLAT on May 16, even though I had no travel skedded in May. I had originally signed up for the challenges on May 20. He agreed it made no sense that I would have retroactively started the challenges at times when I wasn't flying. New card to reflect PLAT through 2/06 supposedly on the way in 3-5 weeks. Moral of the story, as propounded by Jdiver: Trust no one, or at least no one at AA to ensure your status.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Gold VIP
Hi guys. Im reviving this rather old thread with some questions.

I did a PLT challenge in the second part of 2004, thus I was PLT until Feb 06. I did not requalify for PLT last year, and thus dropped down to GLD on Mar 1. I emailed ADV customer service about enrolling on the challenge because I have substantial travel coming up which would let me get PLT (10k QPTs) in no time. I will likely fly around 60k this year.

Here's the response:

Dear Mr. BlassSJU,

We're here to help, and I appreciate your giving me the opportunity to
assist you.

We normally require annual requalification for elite membership so that
those passengers who consistently maintain a high level of travel will
be recognized and rewarded. By limiting the number of AAdvantage
Platinum members to a very small percentage of the total membership, we
can provide special service and recognition.

That said, please know that we are sensitive to the needs of elite
members who did not requalify but have a strong desire to retain their
benefits. We are pleased to offer you a special opportunity to retain
your status for a fee. The charge to renew AAdvantage Platinum
membership is $499 or $599, depending on your progress toward
qualification. Elite membership renewals can only be made online
January 26 - April 30, 2006. For complete details, including
eligibility requirements, please visit our Web site www.aa.com/elite.

Because you earned your Platinum status on a challenge in 2004, for the
2005 membership year, you are not eligible for a Platinum challenge to
regain Platinum status for the 2006 membership year.
The options
available are normal qualification, i.e. 50,000 miles, 50,000 points, or
60 segments during calendar year 2006, or the fee as stated above.

I'm sorry my response couldn't be more positive. We value your loyalty
and are eager to continue the beneficial relationship we have enjoyed
thus far. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

==========
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines

I believed I had to first let my PLT membership end and then enroll, which is what I tried to do. Technically, I am not requalifying for PLT, because I was already lowered down to GLD. Should I play the merry go round calling game?
Old Mar 26, 2006, 1:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I hate things like that in writing - in your shoes, my tendency would have been to allow the Plat to expire (Feb 28 2006) and a couple of weeks or more after, CALL and ask to be signed up for a Plat challenge (or if more advantageous, perhaps after June 15, given that would confer Plat for the remainder of 2006, all 2007 and through Feb 28 2008.)

Altertnatively, you can buy your way through Feb 28, 2007, but will not be able to repeat a buy-in in 2007. Of course, it appears you will re-earn Platinum with no problems this year, and that "honestly earned" status will also persist through February 2008. A call to challenge so you can hold "challenge" status until you earn BIS-granted status might snag you a better position for upgrades, some more bonus miles, etc.

I'd never have written, frankly.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
It seems that there are a lot of things that are better to approach with a phone call than with an e-mail. AA seems leery of putting some of these things in writing, where they can be posted on the internet or otherwise circulated. I know that those who called in for partial credit on expiring miles toward upgrades (stickers) at the beginning of this month generally got them, while those who e-mailed got stiffed. This may be the same type of thing.

Your only chance is that the person who did this did not make a notation in your record. You can call in to AAdvantage customer service, and I would recommend doing so at night or on the weekend. They may enroll you in the challenge. If their answer is "You were Plat last year on a challenge, you can't do it again this year", then call back another day. If their response is "What the #@%**, we told you in an e-mail you can't do this", then you are out of luck.

In the future, never, ever, ask for something in an e-mail unless you can find iron-clad information on AA.com that you are 100% entitled to it. Always ask by phone call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.