Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma, CA [Master Thread]

Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma, CA [Master Thread]

Old Jul 19, 2002, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma, CA [Master Thread]

http://www.sheratonpetaluma.com/

OPEN JUNE 2002
The Sheraton Petaluma Hotel, just 32 miles north of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge, sits perched on the Petaluma Marina adjacent to over 300 acres of protected and evolving wetlands with 3 miles of paved and gravelled trails for hiking and biking.

With easy access to premium wineries, spectacular Pacific Coast beaches, dense redwood forests, a wide variety of championship golf courses, art galleries, antique stores, and factory outlets, the Sheraton Petaluma Hotel will surely become a favorite destination of both discriminating business travelers and tourists alike.
Sheraton Petaluma Hotel at the Marina
745 Baywood Drive, Petaluma, CA 94954
Phone: 707/283-2888 Fax: 707/283-2828

Old Oct 4, 2004, 10:19 am

Arrow Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma, CA [Master Thread]

Thanks for any info on this hotel. Is there a club lounge? Does it open weekends for breakfast? I am taking my mother to SFO area and we had a spare day that I was thinking to take her there just for relax. I heard this is a famous SPA region, any good ones? Any good restaurants in this area? Of course, please share your stay experience (I'm platinum).
Old Oct 4, 2004, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I drove by the Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma just yesterday, but that's as close as I got to it. Sure looks nice from the outside!

There was also a Four Points (also off of Highway 101) not too far from it. But I've got no experience there either.

You might use the FlyerTalk "Search This Forum" feature on words like "Napa" and "Somona" as there have been several threads on these properties in the past.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I stayed there this past weekend (Sheraton Petaluma). Bright, attractive, fairly new hotel.

Plusses - staff was quite nice. Rooms, while not exceptional, were decent, and the beds were in good repair. The HSIA, while not free, is $5 for a 24 hour period (not "noon-to-noon").

Minuses - the club lounge is closed on Friday night and through the weekend. Instead of a breakfast voucher, plats get a $10 f&b credit. If travelling alone, this will cover a continental in the dining room, but that's about it. Travelling w/2 going to cost you. Breakfast was of decent quality - the maple syrup really came from trees (and not a high fructose corn syrup factory), butter whipped, etc.

Location? You need to drive to go to the city center of Petaluma (not very far), which is a charming little place - I've lived in the Bay Area 20 years and never went to downtown Petaluma prior to Friday night. Had a fun wine tasting/small plates/dessert at Della Fattoria (open only at night on Fridays.)

Overall, I'd recommend the hotel if you need to stay in the area, or want a not-too-far place to start your day for Sonoma County wineries. I find it superior (but not as convenient) as the HHonors properties in the Santa Rosa area.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 5:58 am
jjj

Although it says Sonoma, it really is a 20+ minute drive to Sonoma. I would recommend the Renaisance in Sonoma if you want something there. Two Restaurants come to mind. Girl and the Fig (Profiteroles are great). Della Santina's (good Italian). I wasnt as impressed as many for the restaurant at the Renaissance. Maybe a bad night, maybe the wrong choice of food.

Remember most restaurants in this area allow you to bring your own bottle of wine and they will charge you to open it (Corkage Fee). This is much better then paying the high markups that the restaurant charge on wine.
Ravenswood Wine tour is very good. As part of the tour, you can actually do barrel tastings.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:01 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Wine Region - Sonoma - Napa

I'm trying to find an SPG to stay at in the area of the wineries. Can anyone suggest a few SPG properties that are in the region?

Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jjj
Although it says Sonoma, it really is a 20+ minute drive to Sonoma. I would recommend the Renaisance in Sonoma if you want something there. Two Restaurants come to mind. Girl and the Fig (Profiteroles are great). Della Santina's (good Italian). I wasnt as impressed as many for the restaurant at the Renaissance. Maybe a bad night, maybe the wrong choice of food.

Remember most restaurants in this area allow you to bring your own bottle of wine and they will charge you to open it (Corkage Fee). This is much better then paying the high markups that the restaurant charge on wine.
Ravenswood Wine tour is very good. As part of the tour, you can actually do barrel tastings.
I agree - the Renaissance is a good place to stay in Sonoma and a bad place to eat dinner.

Another great restaurant is just off the square - Meritage by Carlo Cavallo. The 5 course tasting menu paired with wines is exquisite and very reasonably priced.!!!
Old Jun 13, 2005, 7:53 pm
Commander Catcop

I took my first trip to wine country in late April, and to get SPG stays had one night at the Sheraton Petaluma.

It's designed like a hotel you would see on a beach on the waterfront. Friendly, helpful staff who are well familiar with the SPG rules.

I was upgraded to a nice large corner room with a jacuzzi. (some of the rooms also have terraces to drink wine as the sun sets over Sonoma.) There was almost a little problem as I spilled a whole little bottle of bubble bath in the jacuzzi. Looked like an episode out of I Love Lucy!

The restaurant had decent food but the chef took awhile to get the steak done. I did not have breakfast there. The bar had a decent local microbrew.

I did not get to the Club Lounge (It was closed for a wedding reception.) There is a business center with one of those machines you put a credit card in to get Internet (I think $12 an hour.)

Watch the rates; depending on the time of booking they fluxuate all over the rate scale.

ALthough the Sheraton is NOT in WINE country it's a nice drive to the wineries.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
A very nice overnight stay last week (Thurs night)

My wife and I stayed there overnight last week, and had a fine stay. It is NOT a high end hotel, but it's clean, well lit, and the staff made every effort to make us feel welcome. We were upgraded to a club floor corner room/minisuite with laguna on 2 sides and access to a small terrace, and the (continental) lounge breakfast was competitive with Marriott Courtyard or similar class hotels: coffee, fruit, cereal, unremarkable pastries.

If you're interested in visiting wine country, be sure to ask the Ops Manager, Mr. Govan, for his recommendations: he compiled a list of 6 little-known Sonoma vineyards for us that were all worth visiting. And if you're looking for a fine romantic dinner, and can afford the 30 minutes drive up to Healdsville, his recommendation of the Madrona Manor was pricey but excellent and right on target.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:00 pm

The Marina

The property is located on a marina. Do they offer boat rentals out of the marina for guests, and, if so, has anybody ever taken advantage of it?

We're planning a stay sometime this summer and may spend some time at the Rennaissance but (1) don't have enough Marriott points for the entire stay and (2) this seems like a very nice hotel at a good price point (or points-point), albeit a little off the beaten track. We just have so many hotel points from business travel and SPG credit card that it seems silly to pay to stay somewhere if we can avoid it. If the marina has something to offer, that might make it even more worthwhile!

In any event, it has to be better than daytripping from SF!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I stayed at the Sheraton Petaluma twice recently on a Thursday night and Saturday night. The hotel had a wine country rate at $139 with a decent bottle of wine and cheese plate. The Club Lounge is closed Friday and Saturday nights, but open for breakfast everday. The food in the evening is decent. The beverage selection is very good, including free wines and good beers. Continental breakfast is OK, with very good 'homemade' granola and organic yogurt.

Platinum recognition is very good. Staff is friendly and efficient. I had a corner suite with balcony the first night and a corner suite with Jacuzzi the second night.

Petaluma is ~30 minutes from wineries, which is a reasonable price to pay for staying at a *Wood hotel, especially with the Q1 double stay/night credit promotion.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I got upgraded to a corner jacuzzi room. It's very nice but for two things:

1. Noisy through-wall AC unit (no fan speed control & always on).
2. Fancy Cisco phones but old-style tube TVs.

That, and the club lounge was closed at breakfast on this Wednesday morning.

Certainly the desk staff were well trained in the arts of SPG recognition and hospitality in general.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That, and the club lounge was closed at breakfast on this Wednesday morning.
any particular reason for the closure? did they allow you to eat in the restaurant for a reduced/free price due to the closure?
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:32 am
ski

Stayed for several nights on spg award at Sheraton Petaluma and marina. Hotel built like a Boardwalk seaside inn. As platinum, Was given a junior type suite. Large room with sliding doors to close off the bedroom area from the living area at night. Liked the open floor plan. Living area had pullout sofa. Had kitchenette area with small fridge and microwave. Large bathroom. Room faced front of building which is the parking lot, but very quiet. The rooms facing the marina side also face distant highway, which can be noisy if you want to open your windows or sit outside. AC units are noisy. Club lounge could put out more food or do better restocking in the mornings when they are busy, but the lounge is very nice and you can sit outside on the deck. Same thing about highway in the distance for noise and at pool area. Fresh locally grown salads and pastas with local wines in the club lounge in the evenings during the week. We asked about fishing and were told mercury in the water. Good highway access. Enjoyed stay.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
any particular reason for the closure? did they allow you to eat in the restaurant for a reduced/free price due to the closure?
I got the 'invitation' - location and hours - when I checked in. When I went for breakfast there was a simple, handwritten note on the door. I didn't want to beg for the restaurant benefit - nor really take the time - so I headed off to the airport. Sorry I can't report a better test of Plat benefits & alternatives.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.