Reload this Page >

High Travel Jobs

High Travel Jobs

Old Oct 5, 2004, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
High Travel Jobs

Hi Everyone,

I am in uni at the moment and would love to have a job where I travel alot. Excluding working for airlines, what types of jobs would be suitable for a person doing a Bachelor of Finance?

I would love to be a road warrior,

Coathanger
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Cotehanger, do a search here and you should find several threads on this subject.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
Become a consultant for a large business/professional services company. McKinsey is an excellent one, but the competition for those positions are very tough. Many people in those industries travel 100% of the time.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip, I shall look into it ^
Old Oct 5, 2004, 5:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

think long and hard before deciding you want a road warrior lifestyle. I personally love it but there are trade offs like I have lost touch with many of my local friends, I am homeless, you miss out on alot of things in your hometown, finding someone to date who will tolerate someone who gone a majority of the week is a real pain in the a$$.

The pros are the fact that I now have friends all over the globe who I pop in on a fairly frequent basis, I have seen many places on the company dime, and I have more frequent flyer miles than I currently know what to do with.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

I grew up in several different countries and at one stage went to 3 schools in 2 years. I think I would enjoy the road warrior lifestyle whilst I am still young, but thank you for the cautionary note.

Coathanger
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:21 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I started the search for threads pertaining to your request, Coathanger — just click here. You will easily see the titles of threads pertaining to the topic in which you requested, but don’t stop on the first “page” on the search results that I did for you.

In fact, you will find a very rare lapse of judgment on my part on “page” 2 of the search results, as I launched a new thread similar to this one, not realizing one had already existed.

I hope that the results of my search has been of help to you in your quest of having your query answered, Coathanger.

Last edited by Canarsie; Oct 5, 2004 at 11:23 pm
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Unlike probably the majority of FTers, I built my miles and travel almost totally on leisure travel on my own dime, though I thought of trying to move into a higher travel field. Seems like most people either get way too much or very little travel in their jobs, with not much middle ground. I used to be in the "very little" category, getting maybe one domestic trip a year. The company's one-size-fits-all cost-cutting approaches applied to travel were pretty frustrating, though, especially since I did much better on costs on my own, and with fewer enforced sacrifices.

OTOH, after 12 years or so at gold or higher on nearly all leisure trips, I think it'd be hard to do it as a road warrior. *Maybe* you'll get nicer hotels, paid meals some of the time (my old company wouldn't pay for lunch), and good destinations with a chance to use vacation days to extend stays in them, but look carefully before leaping. FT has had people comparing notes about their company travel policies, and some sound pretty dreadful. And while international travelers who can get the company to pay for biz class have the world on a string with FF programs, they're far outnumbered by road warriors who either get pretty boring destinations or get the same ones again and again. It's one thing to have a job with travel but quite another to get exciting destinations or a good variety of them.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 6:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Coathanger
I grew up in several different countries and at one stage went to 3 schools in 2 years. I think I would enjoy the road warrior lifestyle whilst I am still young, but thank you for the cautionary note.

Coathanger
while moving three times in a year at a young age is hard to do it is still VERY DIFFERENT than the daily/weekly grind of schlepping yourself on a plane week in and week out. Remember not all locations you will be sent to are exotic or fun. You have to take the "Duncan, Oklahoma's" along with London, Tokyo and NYC. I am not trying to discourage you but many people who have never travelled for work over romanticize biz travel. It can be great especially if you have a positive attitude but just remember this lifestyle chews up many people.

When interviewing people, I probably ask/mention over 10 times the constant travel being a consultant in my company requires. We have lost 4 people in the last year who couldn't hack the constant travel and we are a small group.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 8:29 am

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
Originally Posted by RustyC
The company's one-size-fits-all cost-cutting approaches applied to travel were pretty frustrating, though, especially since I did much better on costs on my own, and with fewer enforced sacrifices.
... paid meals some of the time (my old company wouldn't pay for lunch), and good destinations...they're far outnumbered by road warriors who either get pretty boring destinations
I thought I had it bad with a $25/day meal allowance and justifying $84/night at a Hampton Inn (we have a $79/night limit).

What's wrong with Muskogee OK in August or Northampton MA in January?

Seriously, a lot of these jobs that require lots of travel also require lots of work (16 hour days are pretty common for me while on the road). Ask questions in regards to what the employer believes are reasonable work hours, travel days (some require Sunday departures), etc.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:24 am

Programs: MR, AA, Onepass, HH Honors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by prncess674
When interviewing people, I probably ask/mention over 10 times the constant travel being a consultant in my company requires. We have lost 4 people in the last year who couldn't hack the constant travel and we are a small group.
I would be more than willing to replace one of the 4 people you guys have lost!!
Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Some of the posts in this thread have hit on it, but something to seriously think about is how much actual work you want to do at work.

Jobs that require travel are not typically 9-5 type of operations. The company is paying for you to be there and they expect a lot of effort out of you to justify the expense.

Consulting firm, in particular, work this way. Yes, you'll see the world (sometimes, depends on the firm, more likely you'll see the USA), but it won't be because you're off galavanting around the city. It'll be in cabs to and from airports and hotels. The rest of the time you'll be in some office.

So think about the lifestyle you want to have in terms of your work hours first. That would be my suggestion.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:40 am

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Some of the posts in this thread have hit on it, but something to seriously think about is how much actual work you want to do at work.

Jobs that require travel are not typically 9-5 type of operations. The company is paying for you to be there and they expect a lot of effort out of you to justify the expense.

Consulting firm, in particular, work this way. Yes, you'll see the world (sometimes, depends on the firm, more likely you'll see the USA), but it won't be because you're off galavanting around the city. It'll be in cabs to and from airports and hotels. The rest of the time you'll be in some office.

So think about the lifestyle you want to have in terms of your work hours first. That would be my suggestion.
My own example is a recent trip to Toronto. Nice city, lots of restaurants, but after the first night, all we saw were early a.m. trips to donut shops (Tim Hortons wasn't open that early) on our way out to the grand opening we were assisting.

When I got back, everybody was asking us how much we liked Toronto. I've come to believe that donuts and coffee are native foods to Canada
Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:48 am

Programs: HHonors-Diamond, SPG-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum,NW-Plat
professional services consultants... functional and technical are both in high demand at my company (peoplesoft type applications!) PM me if ur interested
Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:53 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by prncess674
Do you need replacements?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.