Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Monarch Beach - (left SPG June 1, 2016) [Master Thread]

Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Leaving Starwood on June 1, 2016

The St. Regis Monarch Beach will be leaving the Starwood system on June 1, 2016. Reservations are still being accepted for dates on or after June 1, 2016, however, they will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual.

Resort Pools closed Until June 1, 2016

The resort pools are closed until June 1, 2016. During this time, guests will continue to enjoy exclusive access to Monarch Beach. The beach is accessed by trams that depart the resort every 15 minutes. Additionally, beach butlers are happy to provide chairs, towels and umbrellas. For lap swimming, the Concierge can arrange transportation to a nearby pool. Please contact the resort by phone at (855) 368-2940 or email [email protected] for further information.

Starwood website
Print Wikipost

St. Regis Monarch Beach - (left SPG June 1, 2016) [Master Thread]

Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Arrow St. Regis Monarch Beach - (left SPG June 1, 2016) [Master Thread]

While a great property that I have stayed at many times, I m outraged that I was charged almost $40 a day for each visit to the health club. I am a Platinum Starwood member and spent over 5K there on my last visit. I checked with accounting and they confirmed the charge. Has anyone else had the same experience? I was told if I had booked a spa treatment, there would not have been a charge for using the exercise equipment.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jan 2, 2009 at 3:49 pm Reason: 2001-2006 info can be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-preferred-guest/905429-st-regis-monarch-beach-2001-200
Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by 1AAFlyer
While a great property that I have stayed at many times, I m outraged that I was charged almost $40 a day for each visit to the health club. I am a Platinum Starwood member and spent over 5K there on my last visit. I checked with accounting and they confirmed the charge. Has anyone else had the same experience? I was told if I had booked a spa treatment, there would not have been a charge for using the exercise equipment.
This is a classic gotcha as to which the hotel is contractually in the right. Last time I was there I declined the PLT amenity and asked instead if they could omit charges for the health club. Worked fine. I was on a pretty fat rate, which helped, I think. I have found the staff there to be universally great and accommodating (pun intended) and perfectly willing to be reasonable. I would recommend a polite word to the duty manager or an email about what you hope will happen next time since you were surprised at the charge.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 3:42 pm

I am a Plat and was flatly refused, even though I asked nicely! They say that the spa is not really run by the hotel; it is a franchise located in the hotel. Thus, I was told, there is no Plat access.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:27 pm
Y'z

I am confused. 1AAFlyer mentioned about health club. It sounds like gym. Do they charge for using gym or just for spa facility only?
Old Jan 7, 2007, 11:53 am

Programs: IHG SE, Bonvoy Plat, DL Plat, UA PPlat, EK Gold
Except for a few months at the opening, they have always charged for access to the spa. The gym has always been no charge, unless that has recently changed...
Old Jan 7, 2007, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
St Regis

I was charged for use of the gym, not the spa. I think that a charge for that is ridiculous in a 5star resort. I have stayed at Aviara and you do not get charged there. Also, if you spend over 5K for 6 nights there, one would think that charge would have been waived. Better yet, please tell me why there was a charge at all!
Old Jan 7, 2007, 4:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
I just called the resort and indeed the fitness center offers complimentary access to hotel guest, while use of the spa facilities, I'm guessing sauna, steam room, and jacuzzi is $20 per person per day.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 9:17 pm

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
I recall being charged for using the beach the last time I was there and thought it was outrageous the fee they charged. Can't recall now what that fee is though.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 9:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by jeffo
I recall being charged for using the beach the last time I was there and thought it was outrageous the fee they charged. Can't recall now what that fee is though.
Were you charged for access to the beach or the beach set-up (umbrella, chairs, towels, ice water, etc.)?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Ambassador, Silvercar
Never charged

I just returned from 5 nights at the St. Regis and wasn't charged for the use of the gym any of the five days I used it (which is one of the best of any hotel I have ever stayed). This was my fifth stay of the year (20+ nights total) and I was not charged once during 2006.

RD
--
SPG Gold
Delta Gold Medallion
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:16 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, AA-Plat
Talking Resort Charge

The St. Regis has a resort charge which includes access to the beach.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Apologies for resurrecting this thread. My wife, infant daughter, and I are going to be spending Easter weekend (April 6-9) at the St. Regis. Can folks with recent stays post their expriences please? What type of room (view, floor, etc) should I request?

Any recommendations for infant-friendly activities and restaurants around the area?

Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 3:18 pm

It is very important to get pool/courtyard view. The side views are very unattractive.

The hotel restaurants are very overpriced. There are lots of restaurants in Dana Point (5 minutes by car along PCH). A good bet on the property is Club 19, at the golf course. It's a very short walk. Breakfast there is a fraction of the cost of breakfast in the hotel. Ditto lunch. It is not open for dinner.

There is a Gelson's supermarket within walking distance. (You can see it from the hotel.) They have a gourmet deli there, with tables.

There's a Starbucks a 5-10 minute walk from hotel.

Avoid the hotel's outrageous parking charges and slow valet: You can park for free along the north side of the hotel (a road going down to the golf course) or in the golf course parking lot (you may have to tip the valet there). There's also street parking in front of the hotel: Drop off the wife and infant and park yourself, with big savings (including saving of time waiting for your car.)

Enjoy your stay (and remember to bring lots of money!).
Old Feb 4, 2007, 8:25 pm
Y'z

Originally Posted by observer
Avoid the hotel's outrageous parking charges and slow valet: You can park for free along the north side of the hotel (a road going down to the golf course) or in the golf course parking lot (you may have to tip the valet there). There's also street parking in front of the hotel: Drop off the wife and infant and park yourself, with big savings (including saving of time waiting for your car.)
I just want to let you know there is no more street parking there. I am not sure about the golf course parking thing though, all parking signs turned out NO PARKING ANYTIME anywhere around the hotel when I stayed at the hotel this month. Which forces hotel guests use valet parking. So you guys have to count on it.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:28 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Looks like I've been pre-blocked into an Ocean View Executive Suite. There has been a lot of positive feedback on the Executive floorplan. One even requested it rather than the St Regis Suite.

Can anyone add insight? Should I angle for the SR Suite at checkin or not?

Thanks,

Scho

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.