Wiki Posts
Search

What's the best "A" fare route?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2004, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP;SPG Gold; Priority Club Spire Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
What's the best "A" fare route?

What is the best "A" fare route to maximize MQM's? Acutally, I just need to fly 10k actual miles, but I really don't want to do it in coach. Its all part of the game to get GM this year. DL was kind enough to give me the "challenge" to match status in another program.

My base is ATL. I know the ATL-HNL flight is roughly 8k miles, but I thought I would see if anyone could give me a better route.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SaveDelta
What is the best "A" fare route to maximize MQM's? Acutally, I just need to fly 10k actual miles, but I really don't want to do it in coach. Its all part of the game to get GM this year. DL was kind enough to give me the "challenge" to match status in another program.

My base is ATL. I know the ATL-HNL flight is roughly 8k miles, but I thought I would see if anyone could give me a better route.
"A" class MQMs to HNL would be 18k not 8k. Let's not forget you actually get a trip to HNL out of the deal. But assuming you don't want to go that far, ATL to Los Angeles area airports are typically around $600 in A class.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 7:28 pm

For the challange it is base miles.

No MQMs, and no LTUs
Old Oct 10, 2004, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dspringer28
For the challange it is base miles.
I guess I knew about that and forgot about that. An aberration from Delta's MQM system.

Given that fact, if the OP wants to do it all in one trip, it would almost have to be to HNL. Either starting in BHM, MCN or something like that or with a connection in CVG. I don't think the connection in LAX picks up enough miles does it?
Old Oct 10, 2004, 8:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
"A" class MQMs to HNL would be 18k not 8k. Let's not forget you actually get a trip to HNL out of the deal. But assuming you don't want to go that far, ATL to Los Angeles area airports are typically around $600 in A class.

If the OP needs 10K MQM's quickly, he/she will need to do the ATL/HNL/ATL run IMO. The RT to LAX will yield considerably less than 10K of both SM's and MQM's.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

The best route actually is ATL-CVG-HNL-CVG-ATL for the HNL trip. Just was thinking about something new, maybe get on a 763ER or 777.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cholula
If the OP needs 10K MQM's quickly, he/she will need to do the ATL/HNL/ATL run IMO. The RT to LAX will yield considerably less than 10K of both SM's and MQM's.
Pardon the ignorance, what does "OP" stand for?
Old Oct 10, 2004, 8:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Pardon the ignorance, what does "OP" stand for?

It stands for "Other Poster" or "Original Poster" and is used when one is too lazy to look up the person you are referring to. I really should know better than to use this abbreviation.
Sorry.....
Old Oct 10, 2004, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks. I went to the glossary but didn't see it!

I did find a ATL-SLC-ANC-SLC-ATL for $1283 or ATL-CVG-SLC-ANC-SLC-CVG-ATL for $1863. Both under 10k actual miles.

Maybe an ATL-CVG-HNL-CVG-ATL with HNL-LAX-HNL inbetween. Is it worth the trouble to get from SM to GM?
Old Oct 10, 2004, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Is it worth the trouble to get from SM to GM?
I think it is just for the miles. Silvers accrue a 25% mileage bonus and Golds get 100% mileage bonus.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL FO, IC Ambassador, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
Thumbs up Sfo-atl

Made Silver this morning on SFO-ATL using an A fare with the Silver challenge. At $336.10 for 4278 MQM's... $.078 per.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by prvtpilot1
Made Silver this morning on SFO-ATL using an A fare with the Silver challenge. At $336.10 for 4278 MQM's... $.078 per.
Congrats and welcome to FT prvpilot1. ^
Old Oct 10, 2004, 9:03 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Cholula
It stands for "Other Poster" or "Original Poster" and is used when one is too lazy to look up the person you are referring to. I really should know better than to use this abbreviation.
Sorry.....
Thanks, [b] Cholula[/b
Now, would you be kind enought to translate IIRC
Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2004, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many thanks. I went to the glossary but didn't see it!

I did find a ATL-SLC-ANC-SLC-ATL for $1283 or ATL-CVG-SLC-ANC-SLC-CVG-ATL for $1863. Both under 10k actual miles.

Maybe an ATL-CVG-HNL-CVG-ATL with HNL-LAX-HNL inbetween. Is it worth the trouble to get from SM to GM?

I think that it is too, for the miles and it still has to make a pretty big difference in the upgrade rankings.

If that $1200 fare is available in that market, you ought to be able to play around with the routing and come up with a fare pretty close to that. There are exceptions, of course. But you ought to be able to find a similar price to HNL. Now, I have never been to HNL but I was just in ANC a couple of weeks ago, I am sure it is nice in the summer but I froze my --- well, you get my point.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Thanks, Cholula
Now, would you be kind enought to translate IIRC
Thanks
I can help with this one obscure2k. IIRC translates to "if I remember correctly" (IIRC).

Who can help me with YMMV?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.