Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney World Swan - Orlando [Master Thread]

Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Woodsmit
Late Checkout Policy

Late Checkouts are subject to availability. Please note the following fees:

Between 11am and 12pm: Complimentary
Between 12pm and 2pm: 40 USD + tax
Between 2pm and 4pm: 99 USD + tax
After 4pm: One night room rate, tax and Resort Fee

Resort Fee

The resort has a mandatory 25 USD per day Resort Fee plus taxes. The Resort Fee covers in-room High Speed Internet Access, 2 bottles of water daily, unlimited access to full-service health club, unlimited domestic long distance (US mainland) and local calls, tennis equipment and access to the lighted courts, seasonal pool access and recreational activities. The Resort Fee was waived for SPG Platinums for reservations made prior to December 6th 2016, but the Resort Fee will be applied to subsequent SPG Platinum guest reservations at a slightly reduced rate of $20 per day.
Print Wikipost

Walt Disney World Swan - Orlando [Master Thread]

Old Mar 1, 2002, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Walt Disney World Swan - Orlando [Master Thread]

Wow how dissapointing. 20,000 hard earned points chewed up for possibly my worst Starwood experience ever. Is this a Sept 11 issue?
The room which was introduced to me as an upgrade was tired, and dirty.
I could live with tired (ripped blankets, cig. burns, pen marks on furniture, lights that did not work) BUT dirty???
Used bandaids, old disney passes, food, valentines etc. and they did not get there from only one bad cleaning so say my children the detectives.
Mgmt did not seem concerned and they were busy anyway but in my view if your looking for an Orlando holiday spot with SPG there are lots of better properties in town, save the points or $ and try another one.
Old Mar 1, 2002, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
I'm very surprised to hear that. I've stayed at the Swan or Dolphin at least 20 times, and have never had a bad experience. I actually tend to prefer the Swan for its slightly better Epcot proximity and the best sushi in Florida at Kimono's.

Sorry you had a bad room - I can say that I never, ever have at this property and I hope this is an outlier.
Old Mar 2, 2002, 1:36 am
Suspended

regarding the swan and dolphin: i know one is a westin and one is a sheraton. i forget which is which. is the quality the same for each?

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 03-02-2002).]
Old Mar 2, 2002, 4:36 am

The Swan is a Westin and the Dolphin is a Sheraton. Here is the website:

http://www.swandolphin.com/
Old Mar 2, 2002, 9:42 am
Original Poster

I too have stayed there many times before so this experience was quite a shock. Definately not up to Sheraton standards.
I will not go again even given its great local.
Old Mar 2, 2002, 9:54 am

Can somebody who has stayed at the Dolphin tell me if they have a club lounge?
When I stayed at the Swan last year, I was thrilled with the breakfast selection in the club lounge.
Old Mar 2, 2002, 11:27 am
Suspended

steve100: thanks. is the quality pretty much the same for each or is the westin better?
Old Mar 2, 2002, 5:14 pm

I stayed at the Swan over Labor Day last year and the place was a mess. Definately in need of a makeover.

The exterior design is great, but once inside, you can tell it has aged and Starwood has not put the money into it to keep it fresh.
Old Mar 2, 2002, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
The dolphin does have a club lounge.
Old Mar 3, 2002, 2:47 pm

we just stayed there during Christmas and I wished we had chosen the Dolphin. I was upgraded to a preffered room with a view and let me tell you it is in major need of a rehab. The furniture was so old with scratches and the doors broken on it. the moment you sat on the bed you could hear the springs on it. Terrible shape and the worst part was the moldy smell in the room. the sitting chair looked like it it was time for it to be in a garage sale or antique store. A few months before this visit we stayed at the Dolphin and boy let me tell you the room was in excellent shape. Very fresh,clean,nice beds,and no worn furniture. After my stay at the Swan,I recieved a review kind of form from an outside agent and i put all of this on it.
Old Mar 12, 2002, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
What do you think the chances are for a Platium upgrade to a suite with a "wall/door" at the Dolphin?

How nice are those rooms?
Old Mar 12, 2002, 4:57 pm
Suspended

I think, depending on when you go, that your chances should be good. I was there a year ago and really worked the stay (called ahead to hotel asking for suite, had Plat Con call ahead, etc.). What I go was essentially two connected hotel rooms, but one only had sofas in it as opposed to a bed. So we had two baths, two distinct rooms, real nice.

Oops, just noted you were staying at the Swan. My stay was at the Dolphin. Sorry.

[This message has been edited by PLangian (edited 03-12-2002).]
Old Mar 12, 2002, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
No, we plan to stay in the Dolphin...as of now there are suites available...we would be going in 7 days...the 2 rooms are key to making the whole thing palatable.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Westin Disney Swan

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Walt Disney World Swan Hotel Guestrooms Redesigned by Acclaimed Architect, Michael Graves

As Part of an Overall $75 Million Expansion and Enhancement Plan, The Guestrooms are Undergoing a Design Transformation --

From Whimsical To Modern Luxury

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., Oct. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- For well over a decade, the Walt Disney World Swan Hotel has amazed adults and children alike with its "whimsical" guestroom design. Michael Graves -- the original architect of the hotel -- has been commissioned again to implement a new look that transforms the hotel's design from whimsical to a fresh, contemporary style described as modern luxury.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20021017/FLTH009 )

The centerpiece of the guestrooms is Westin's popular Heavenly Beds(R). Guests have praised Westin's innovation with these new beds that promise an unforgettable sleeping experience. The beds feature a custom-designed pillow- top mattress set; a cozy down blanket; three crisp sheets with thread counts between 180-250; a comforter; a duvet and five of the best pillows in the industry. The headboards are accented by original Michael Graves artwork, topped by picture-wash lighting that also provides incremental reading light.

The Westin features are incorporated into the design as part of the hotel's management agreement with Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide. According to Bill McCreary, complex general manager, "This customized bed has hotel guests all over the world raving about its sleek look and most of all, its comfort. With our integration of the already popular Heavenly Beds(R) into the Graves design, we're offering an even more spectacular product for our guests to enjoy."

Custom-designed carpeting and draperies, accented by a Graves-designed insignia, complement new designer wall coverings. A sleek, maple wood bureau with frosted glass accents replaces existing armoires in the guestrooms, providing ample drawer space for guest belongings.

A 27" color television replaces the current 20" models in a contemporary- designed bureau that connects to a large desk and work area. King rooms feature a pullout sleeper, while the double rooms offer a customized lounge chair and ottoman. The bathrooms feature the Heavenly Bath(SM) treatment, which includes broad-width shower curtains and signature in-bath amenities.

The redesign project will be conducted in phases to avoid any interruptions in guest service. The entire hotel will be completed by January 2003.

American architect Michael Graves has been in the forefront of architectural design since he founded his practice in Princeton, New Jersey in 1964. As a Robert Schirmer Professor of Architecture, Emeritus at Princeton University, where he taught for almost 40 years, Graves is an influential theorist as well as a diversified and prolific designer. Since the early 1980s, his work directly influenced the transformation of urban architecture. Among his numerous projects, he is also noted for designing the Walt Disney World headquarters building in Burbank, California, along with numerous hotels in Japan and Egypt. Graves also produced a wide range of furnishings, artifacts, jewelry and dinnerware for companies such as Walt Disney World Company, Alessi, Steuben, Phillips Electronics and Black & Decker. He has teamed with Target stores to bring his signature style of design to a larger public in a wide variety of product categories.

Graves continues to make an indelible mark on the architectural community with notable projects worldwide. He was recently honored by the American Institute of Architects (AIA) with the AIA Gold Medal award. The highest honor the AIA confers to an individual, the Gold Medal award recognizes an individual whose significant body of work has had a lasting influence on the theory and practice of architecture.

"I'm looking forward to revisiting the Walt Disney World Swan Hotel after 13 years. This will be an exciting venture," said Graves. He continued, "We are about to embark upon an intriguing transformation from whimsical to modern luxury, encompassing the unique design concept of the Walt Disney World Swan with Westin's Heavenly Beds(R), accented by a contemporary approach that will continue to set the standard in guestroom design."

McCreary added, "We're pleased to continue our partnership with Michael Graves, to ensure we remain true to the original concept of this hotel."

The Walt Disney World Swan Hotel will continue to amaze guests from both the outside and inside. The new modern luxury design will be an extension of the hotel's outstanding decor and ability to pleasantly surprise the guests behind every door of the building.

The multi-award winning Walt Disney World Swan Hotel, located within the Epcot(R) Resort area, is a Four-Diamond rated hotel, located in the most magical place in the world. In addition to a wide selection of rooms and suites, there are 16 restaurants and lounges, offering such cuisine as: Italian, sushi, family dining and steak and seafood at the renowned Shula's Steak House -- "One of the Top 5 Steak Houses in America."

Recreational facilities include five swimming pools, two health clubs, and five nearby championship Walt Disney World golf courses. Centered inside the Walt Disney World(R) Resort, the hotel provides ideal proximity to the 100 Years of Magic Celebration at all four Walt Disney World Theme Parks -- nearby Disney's Animal Kingdom(R) Theme Park and Magic Kingdom(R) Park, and accessible to Epcot(R) and Disney-MGM Studios via water and walkway. The hotel offers an array of special Walt Disney World benefits, including: complimentary transportation to all Walt Disney World Theme Parks and Attractions; a Disney ticket desk in the lobby; Disney Character Caravans, offering meet-and-greet sessions with the loveable Disney characters and Disney character dining in select hotel restaurants for breakfast and dinner. The Walt Disney World Swan Hotel can be found at www.swandolphin.com . Guests can receive e-mail updates and on-going special hotel deals by signing up at www.swandolphin.com/postcards .

The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel is owned by a partnership between Tishman Hotel & Realty Corporation -- an affiliate of New York-based Tishman Realty & Construction Company, Inc. -- and Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. Tishman Hotel Corporation is one of the world's premier developers, builders, brokers, and real estate managers, founded in 1898. The hotel is managed by Westin and Sheraton, members of the Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide portfolio.</font>
Old Oct 17, 2002, 3:25 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
[b]
As Part of an Overall $75 Million Expansion and Enhancement Plan, The Guestrooms are Undergoing a Design Transformation -- </font>
boy, is this overdue or what? sounds great.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.