Wiki Posts
Search

Admiral's Club (Value For Money?)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AS MVP, BA SILVER,
Admiral's Club (Value For Money?)

I need to know if joining the Admirals Club is value for money? I also have a few questions:

a) Can I use it even if I'm not flying on American (i.e. I'm flying United because of work reasons but want to use the lounge?)

b) Does anyone know if I arrive at LHR whether I can access the Admirals Lounge before I leave the airport so that I can shower and freshen up.

If the answer to both of these is yes then this becomes a much better deal than getting priority pass as I already have a Platinum Amex which gets me into Delta and Continental.

Any advise here will be most welcome.

Thanks,

James
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by colbornjames
I need to know if joining the Admirals Club is value for money? I also have a few questions:

a) Can I use it even if I'm not flying on American (i.e. I'm flying United because of work reasons but want to use the lounge?)

b) Does anyone know if I arrive at LHR whether I can access the Admirals Lounge before I leave the airport so that I can shower and freshen up.

If the answer to both of these is yes then this becomes a much better deal than getting priority pass as I already have a Platinum Amex which gets me into Delta and Continental.

Any advise here will be most welcome.

Thanks,

James
A) Yes, if you are a member you can use the lounge whenever...only problem is that if you are not "Authorized" via a boarding pass to enter the terminal, you need to call ahaed so that they put you on a list.

B) I think you should be able to, you would just have to go before you go through immigration.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice... I think I'll purchase it. I know that the major airports that I travel to i.e. LHR, BOS etc have an Admirals Club.

Thanks again,

JC
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Thanks for the advice... I think I'll purchase it. I know that the major airports that I travel to i.e. LHR, BOS etc have an Admirals Club.

Thanks again,

JC
One more thing to bear in mind, instead of a membership, you can use the LHR Arrivals lounge for a fee of $35...
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
While you can use most Admirals Clubs whether or not you're flying, the issue is going to be access and convenience. As FlyA02 has pointed out, for those Admirals Clubs that are inside security, you will need permission to get through security. A UA boarding pass might work (especially if you have your Admirals Club membership card to show); otherwise, you will need to call the club a day in advance and have them put you on a special list. Also, in many locations, the club will not be convenient to the UA gates.

Travelers cannot access the Admirals Club upon arrival at LHR. (From the AA website: Per Customs and Immigration regulations, only ticketed passengers departing on the day from Terminal 3 are allowed access to the Admirals Club.) You should check with AA, however; perhaps Admirals Club membership is sufficient to access the AA arivals lounge at LHR without paying the daily fee. (Of course, if you are flying in F or J, there is no fee in any event.)

Last edited by Blumie; Nov 2, 2004 at 2:27 pm
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Blumie is still correct- AC access at LHR only allowed if departing LHR from T-3. If you are PLT or EXP AC membership is not necessary (worth it) when traveling internationally- you get access based on status. AC membership is most valuable (worth it) if you connect alot domestically through DFW, MIA or ORD.

Last edited by pauleeepaul; Nov 2, 2004 at 3:22 pm
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Arrivals Lounge - Brilliant!!!

Thanks for the suggestion of the arrivals lounge... that is perfect and just what I need as I'm going directly to a Wedding and will need a shower.

I am most grateful for all of your advise.

Thanks,

J.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
Travelers cannot access the Admirals Club upon arrival at LHR. (From the AA website: Per Customs and Immigration regulations, only ticketed passengers departing on the day from Terminal 3 are allowed access to the Admirals Club.) You should check with AA, however; perhaps Admirals Club membership is sufficient to access the AA arivals lounge at LHR without paying the daily fee. (Of course, if you are flying in F or J, there is no fee in any event.)
If you are an AC member (with or without status) you can get to the AC as far as I can tell after arrival. When I flew into LHR last week I was able to walk to the AC. I did not go in as I did not have the time and I dont know whether they would have refused me entry has I asked to go in.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajacpril
If you are an AC member (with or without status) you can get to the AC as far as I can tell after arrival. When I flew into LHR last week I was able to walk to the AC. I did not go in as I did not have the time and I dont know whether they would have refused me entry has I asked to go in.
You do walk right by it when walking from the gate to immigration and customs. However, FTers have reported in prior threads that the AC staff is very strict about enforcing this rule. You certainly could try to get in, but I don't think I'd purchase an AC membership with the expectation of getting in.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Use miles to purchase your membership. They're worth next to nothing these days anyway.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spyder
Use miles to purchase your membership. They're worth next to nothing these days anyway.
As someone who just used 125,000 miles for a last minute BOS-GIG trip in F, I strongly disagree with this statement.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
As someone who just used 125,000 miles for a last minute BOS-GIG trip in F, I strongly disagree with this statement.
I agree... I just used mine for an upgrade for myself and my partner down to the Caribbean and it was definately worth the arse-breaking hours I've travelled in coach!

JC.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
AC membership does NOT get you in to the arrivals lounge. J or F BP or a fee, not sure how much......

Spyder,

If your miles are not worth anything, why not share with a FT brother? ME! . I'll pay the transfer fee!

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 2, 2004, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA lt gold, HH Diamond, marriott pl
Just want to make sure that I understand correctly...I can access AC at oversees airports without membership because I am platinum? Was considering buying a membership primarily for overseas travel, but if this is the case will save the $$.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 4:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Krysia
Just want to make sure that I understand correctly...I can access AC at oversees airports without membership because I am platinum? Was considering buying a membership primarily for overseas travel, but if this is the case will save the $$.
Your PLT status gets you into any Oneworld lounge* as long as you are traveling on an itinerary that includes Europe, Asia, South America, or Africa. You have access at any club along your itinerary, provided you are connecting to an international flight (i.e. that you are not stopping over in any city in NA/Caribbean/Hawaii).

*(The BA MIA lounge is a notorious exception to this rule.)

Last edited by RChavez; Nov 2, 2004 at 4:54 pm Reason: more specific wording on qualifying itineraries

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.