Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

PLEASE READ FIRST: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Anything To Do With Delta

PLEASE READ FIRST: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Anything To Do With Delta

Old Nov 3, 2004, 8:58 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

FORMER “STICKY” THREADS___________________________________

The first thirteen mileposts of this all-encompassing thread are designed to answer as many questions as possible, to reduce the number of “sticky” threads in the Delta forum, and to contain as much information as possible pertaining to Delta Air Lines, the SkyMiles program, and the Delta forum on FlyerTalk. Anything after that is up for discussion, suggestions, comments, constructive criticism, requests, questions, queries, ideas and anything else that will further improve this thread, which would be greatly appreciated — please post them in the “Sticky” Thread Comments, Suggestions and Ideas thread. After all, this thread is for you!

With the assistance of FlyerTalk members who will hopefully recommend a thread or Internet web site (along with a description of that thread or Internet web site), this thread contains links to threads and other resources pertaining to Delta Air Lines, SkyMiles, and the Delta forum on FlyerTalk itself.

Delta SkyMiles Information
SkyTeam Partners: Information and Experiences
Fare is Fair — Everything You Need To Know About Delta Air Lines Fares
Delta Forum
Delta Air Lines Company Information
Interact Directly with Kevin Pinto, Otherwise Known as Kevin_SkyMiles Promotions
SkyMiles Partners: Information and Experiences
SkyMiles Medallion Information and Experiences
All About Medallion Qualification MilesBusiness Elite, Business Class and First Class
Minimum Connection Transfer Times
Delta Sky Priority
Delta Sky Clubs and Lounges
Delta Air Lines Flight Information
Delta Air Lines Destination Information
Information Pertaining to the Now-Defunct Delta Air Lines Frequent Flyer Program
Compensation
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

MiscellaneousPlease note that if this thread becomes too cumbersome, I may possibly maintain it by one or more of the following methods:
  • Deleting ancillary mileposts
  • Separating the remainder of this thread after milepost 13 (except for this milepost) into its own thread
Please note that the following mileposts are not in any specific order as of yet — I am simply proposing and reserving mileposts for their intended purposes. Reorganization will be at a later date...

How to improve your reservation experience

Obsolete Threads

Interact Directly with Jeff Robertson, Otherwise Known as RealDLInsider
Interact Directly with www.delta.com Personnel DeltaWebDev and Josh Weiss, also known as DeltaWebGuy
Interact Directly with Frank Wrenn, Otherwise Known as DeltaCustomerInsights

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 18, 2012 at 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Delta SkyMiles Information

Here are some answers to some of the basic questions about the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles frequent flier program:
  • Can I combine my SkyMiles with SkyMiles from another SkyMiles member’s account to claim an award ticket?
    No, but for a fee SkyMiles may be transferred from one member’s account to another.
  • Can I combine my SkyMiles with my miles from the account of a SkyTeam member?
    No.
  • Can I transfer or convert my SkyMiles into miles or points in another program?
    No.
  • Can I use my SkyMiles for a hotel stay?
    No. Please click here for further information.
  • My SkyMiles Medallion Elite status has changed. When will it be updated? The update usually occurs during the weekend.
The Definitive “How To Earn Delta Air Lines SkyMiles” Thread — Are you concerned that your SkyMiles are about to expire? Do you need a few thousand more SkyMiles to claim an award? Where can one get the necessary SkyMiles? For everything you need to know about earning Delta Air Lines SkyMiles, including the advice and opinions of Delta forum FlyerTalk members, this thread is a must-read...

The Definitive “How To Redeem Delta Air Lines SkyMiles” Thread — Many FlyerTalk members ask about redeeming, bartering, trading and even selling Delta Air Lines SkyMiles. Read this thread for everything you need to know about redeeming Delta Air Lines SkyMiles, including advice on the best, most efficient ways on how to use the SkyMiles in your account. One can even redeem SkyMiles simply to keep the remaining SkyMiles in one’s account from expiring.

The Definitive “How Do I Extend the Expiration Date of My SkyMiles” Thread — This is the original of the “definitive” threads on the Delta forum, launched by andymo99, which addresses what is probably the single most popular request in the Delta forum on FlyerTalk. Because Delta Air Lines SkyMiles no longer have an expiration date, this thread is no longer relevant.

Help!!! My Delta Air Lines SkyMiles Have Already Expired! What Should I Do? — Your Delta Air Lines SkyMiles have already expired and you want to re-instate them. Is this possible? If so, how can it be done? If not, what alternatives are available?

What Will Happen to Our SkyMiles? The Uncertainty of the Future of Delta Air Lines — Delta Air Lines is currently undergoing some difficult times financially. Are your SkyMiles going to disappear? Is it safe to book an award trip to Hawai’i for next year? Will Delta Air Lines still be in business tomorrow? Is there really a reason to panic and feel sorrow? Did anyone appreciate the poetic license displayed here? Join in on the discussion...

How To Handle the SkyMiles Account of a Deceased Relative — Unfortunately, nobody is immune to the untimely passing of a loved one or a relative. For the answers on what happens next to the SkyMiles that still exist in the account of a deceased relative or loved one, please look no further than this thread...

HELP - What should I do about expiring Delta Skymiles on 12/31/04??? — What if it is December 10 and you need to act now to keep your SkyMiles from expiring on December 31? How do you prevent permanently losing your SkyMiles forever?

For information on miles earned during the now-defunct Delta Air Lines Frequent Flyer Program, please click here.

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 15, 2011 at 1:00 pm
Original Poster

SkyTeam Partners: Information and Experiences

SkyTeam Updates Including MQM Charts For KLM — Sorry, but I had to change the look of the title, as it was all capital letters...

SkyTeam Awards — Can one fly on Air France, Korean Air and Northwest Airlines on the same award ticket? Find the answer to this and other questions about using SkyMiles for SkyTeam award tickets...

Will Northwest allow Delta GMs to request upgrades? — This has been a popular question on the Delta forum for some reason...

Earning Miles on Continental flight operated by Virgin Atlantic — If one purchases a Continental Airlines ticket but the flight is operated by Virgin Atlantic, can one earn Delta Air Lines SkyMiles?

MQM on CO operated by Virgin — If one purchases a Continental Airlines ticket but the flight is operated by Virgin Atlantic, can one earn Delta Air Lines Medallion Qualification Miles towards Medallion status?

CSA Czech Airlines Information — This is an all-encompassing thread which contains information, opinions and experiences by FlyerTalk members on CSA Czech Airlines.

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 26, 2005 at 9:36 am
Old Nov 3, 2004, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Fare is Fair — Everything You Need To Know About Delta Air Lines Fares

Fare Class — What is the difference between a J fare and an I fare? In what cabin can one find an M fare? What in the world is a V fare? Did you know that Delta Air Lines has an O fare? Find out more in this excellent, informative chart. (I would like to give credit to the author of this chart — is the author R. Pollak?)

The Definitive A Fare Thread — What is an A fare? What are the rules associated with A fares, as well as D fares? Whether or not you think you know the answers, review this thread which has all of the information one needs to know about A and D fares — and then some...

Denied F on Purchased Tix (Oversold), Offered Only $100 Delta Dollars — This is a controversial topic, complete with a debate as to what exactly constitutes a first-class fare and what one’s rights are when involuntarily bumped from a premium cabin seat.

"I" Fare on International travel???? — This thread contains information pertaining to I fares. If you are unsure as to what is an I fare, please read...

What to do with 2 Biz tickets to FCO? — Okay, so perhaps you do know about I fares and purchased one. However, what can you do with it if you cannot use it after all?...

Changes to fare downgrade and fare upgrade policy — Information about what happens if one decides to upgrade to a more-expensive fare or downgrade to a less-expensive fare...

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 15, 2005 at 1:14 pm
Old Nov 3, 2004, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Delta Forum

This milepost is dedicated to gleaning information and posting in the Delta forum.

Who posts on the Delta Forum? — Are you sure you want to find out?...

The Delta Forum Glossary“PMU, FO, GM, SSM” ... What the Delta is everybody in the Delta forum saying? If you are having a difficult time figuring out the “language”, you need to look up the terminology in this thread...

Poll on New Changes — This is a poll concerning the changes to the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles program for 2005. If you have not voted yet, you may do so.

Big Thanks to Delta Forum Members — If you are thankful for the assistance you have received from the FlyerTalk members of the Delta forum and wish to publicly express your gratitude, you may do so in this thread. The FlyerTalk members of the Delta forum will truly appreciate it!

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 19, 2005 at 1:52 pm
Old Nov 3, 2004, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Delta Air Lines Company Information

Delta Air Lines — This is the official Internet web site of Delta Air Lines. One can do such things as purchase tickets, request award tickets within the United States, view one’s SkyMiles account, find out company information and news, or even apply for employment.

Customer Care Contact

Ticket Change Fees — How much will it cost to change your Delta Air Lines ticket?
  • For travel within the 48 contiguous United States (including Simplifares™), the fee is US$50.00.
  • song® is US$25.00.
  • For travel to/from Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands and between the United States and Canada, the fee is US$100.00.
  • For all other locations, the fee is US$200.00 but can vary based on location and fare type. Changes are usually permitted only to the return portion of an international itinerary.
$5 Telephone Charge and $10 Ticket Office/Airport Ticket Charge — Exceptions where the fee does not have to be paid can be found here. Otherwise:
  • For purchasing a revenue or award ticket via telephone, the fee is US$5.00.
  • For purchasing a revenue or award ticket in person, whether at an airport or at a Delta Air Lines ticket office, the fee is US$10.00.
Compensation for Comair debacle--Delta's response — This thread, originally launched in response to the cancellation of Comair flights in December 2004, eventually becomes a debate as to which company is legally responsible — Comair or Delta Air Lines? If the answer is Delta Air Lines, to what extent can it legally be held responsible for the actions of Comair?

Delta SkyBonus — This is a rewards program based on points rather than miles for businesses and companies rather than for individuals. This program is completely independent of the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles frequent flier program. An individual who is a Delta Air Lines SkyMiles member that flies on a Delta Air Lines flight, for example, can earn SkyMiles for himself/herself while also earning points for the company by which he/she is employed. For input from FlyerTalk members concerning the SkyBonus corporate incentive program, please refer to the SkyBonus Incentive Program for Small Businesses thread.

Partner Program of Delta.com — Affiliate Marketing

Last edited by Canarsie; Sep 24, 2006 at 4:59 pm
Original Poster

SkyMiles Partners: Information and Experiences

This milepost is reserved specifically for information concerning partners of the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles program that are not SkyTeam partners.

DL Award Tix to South Africa — South Africa is a popular destination on the Delta forum. How is the availability of award tickets to South Africa using SkyMiles?

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 15, 2005 at 7:31 am
Original Poster

SkyMiles Medallion Information and Experiences

Benefits at a Glance — This easy-to-peruse chart by Delta Air Lines instantly addresses the differences in benefits to each tier of SkyMiles membership, from General to Silver Medallion to Gold Medallion to Platinum Medallion. Additional information can be found in the Medallion Program Updates area.

Is it worth the effort to become a Platinum Medallion? Can a Gold Medallion member use an international lounge? How often can a Silver Medallion member expect to be upgraded? Answers can be found in the following threads:

Platinum MedallionGold Medallion

Silver MedallionOther Medallion Status Topics

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 14, 2009 at 11:27 pm
Old Nov 3, 2004, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

All About Medallion Qualification Miles

Medallion Qualification Miles (or MQMs) is a tracking system implemented by Delta Air Lines for the sole purpose of gaining SkyMiles Medallion status for the next year. Currently, on most flights operated by SkyTeam airline members, one can earn:
  • 1.5 Medallion Qualification Miles for each mile flown in First Class, Business Class, or full-fare Economy/Coach Class fares (such as Y, B and M on Delta Air Lines or Y, S, W, Z and I on Korean Air, for example) with a minimum amount of 750 Medallion Qualification Miles earned per flight segment;
  • 1.0 Medallion Qualification Mile for each mile flown in Economy/Coach Class travel (other than full-fare Economy/Coach Class fares, such as Y, B and M on Delta Air Lines or Y, S, W, Z and I on Korean Air, for example) with a minimum amount of 500 Medallion Qualification Miles earned per flight segment, and
  • 0.5 Medallion Qualification Miles for each mile flown on discounted Q, I, S, W, T, X and L Economy/Coach Class fares on Continental Airlines, as well as discounted L, U and T Economy/Coach Class fares on Delta Air Lines-coded flights on Continental Airlines. Both scenarios earn a minimum amount of 250 Medallion Qualification Miles per flight segment.
NOTE: Earning Medallion Qualification Miles on Delta Air Lines applies only when traveling on Alaska Airlines-coded flights operated by Alaska Airlines or Delta. Alaska Airlines code-share flights on American Airlines aircraft do not earn Medallion Qualification Miles. Earning Medallion Qualification Miles on Delta Air Lines applies only when traveling on Continental Airlines-coded and Northwest Airlines-coded flights operated by SkyTeam partners, as well as KLM Airlines-coded flights.
A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most MQMs? — If you need to get additional Medallion Qualification Miles to achieve the next level of SkyMiles Medallion Elite status for next year, this thread is the one to read. If you have found an inexpensive way to collect more Medallion Qualification Miles, please post in this thread.

What's the best "A" fare route? — This is a thread with a different route (my apologies — I could not resist!) on maximizing the collection of Medallion Qualification Miles to one’s account.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ld-reward.html — This

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 28, 2009 at 1:40 am
Original Poster

Business Elite, Business Class and First Class

Ah, yes — that vaunted forward cabin, which is usually the premium cabin. What is the difference between Business Elite and regular business class? How does First Class domestically compare to Business Class internationally?

Update on DL First Class Meal Service — Get the latest information pertaining to meal service in the premium cabin.

FC Upgrade Rule Change On Hawaii Flights — There is nothing like getting upgraded on a flight to Hawai’i, but are you aware of the rules?

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 5, 2004 at 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Delta Sky Priority

You want to get away from it all when you are at an airport. How does one gain access? How much does it cost? Which are the best and worst lounges? Where is the next new lounge opening? What Delta Sky Club is closing?

SkyMilesInsider update: Sky Priority is HERE… — Find out all about Delta Sky Priority and how it works.

Last edited by Canarsie; May 23, 2010 at 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Delta Sky Clubs and Lounges

You want to get away from it all when you are at an airport. How does one gain access? How much does it cost? Which are the best and worst lounges? Where is the next new lounge opening? What Delta Sky Club is closing?

Crown Room Club Locations — Find out here if there is a Delta Sky Club at your destination...

How to Become a Crown Room Club Member — One’s membership of the Delta Sky Club can be paid for financially or with SkyMiles. The cost of membership depends on one’s SkyMiles Medallion status. Additionally, one can receive a one-year Delta Sky Club membership for 1,250 SkyBonus points.

Favorite / Worst Crown Room Clubs — Read this thread to find out the personal favorite Delta Sky Clubs of Delta Forum FlyerTalk members — and which ones did not exactly make the cut...

Can I access CR or not??? — You are flying on an international business class on Delta Air Lines, but there is no Business Elite lounge at the particular airport where you are currently. Are you therefore allowed to access a Delta Sky Club? Find out in this thread...
Old Nov 3, 2004, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Delta Air Lines Flight Information

SeatGuru.com — Place your cursor over “Delta” in the column on the left-hand side after accessing this site to get information about the seating on virtually any Delta Air Lines aircraft.

Seats on Delta Air Lines’ Flights by Ben Edelman — Type in the Delta Air Lines flight number, Date (month, day), Origin (3-letter city code), Destination (3-letter city code) and Flight Type. Next, click on the View Seat Map button to see the availability of seat assignments for that particular flight. Thanks to FlyerTalk member bedelman for providing this invaluable resource.

List of overhead bin dimensions — If you have ever wanted to know what are the dimensions of the overhead bins on the different types of aircraft in use on Delta Air Lines, this thread is for you.

ATL to ATL with no stopovers? — In other words, how can there be at least two separate flights with the same flight number? Find out here for more information and discussion...

Automated Voice Recognition Telephone Reservation System — Find out what other Delta forum FlyerTalk members think of this system when calling a Delta Air Lines agent via the telephone. This thread is complete with instructions on how to bypass the automated voice recognition telephone reservation system by using the touch-tone keypad on the telephone...

Same Day Confirmed FAQ

Throw-Away Ticketing and Skipping Legs: The Definitive Thread — Is it possible to skip one or more legs of a flight itinerary for the purposes of convenience and saving money? This thread has all of the answers for which you are searching.

The Definitive IFE/In-Seat Power Thread (for both DL and NW) — This thread is about in-flight entertainment and in-seat power on Delta Air Lines.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 6, 2009 at 12:56 pm
Old Nov 3, 2004, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Miscellaneous

Airlines Whose Frequent Flier Members Earn Miles on Delta Air Lines Flights — If you are a member of a frequent flier program on another airline and want to find out if you can earn miles in that program by flying on Delta Air Lines flights, please review this thread.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 30, 2006 at 9:46 pm
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:28 am

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
THE "sticky"

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Okay — please start posting your suggestions and ideas!
Make this THE sticky thread for the DL forum. Since the current two sticky threads are referenced, it "cleans" things up a bit.

Outstanding idea. I really like the range of topics.

On organizing: I would suggest general info first, followed by fares/miles/mqm, then medallion benefits / crown room / skyteam. This may require splitting some of the mileposts that you have already set up.

Thanks for the great work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.