Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Custom made women's suits - Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Custom made women's suits - Asia

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2004, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver Elite, Hilton Blue
Smile Custom made women's suits - Asia

Does anyone have any tips on places to travel in Asia where my girlfriends and I can get well-made business suits? I've traveled to HK, Singapore and Thailand where I've had dresses done, but never a business suit. Any specific tailors we should check out? We're planning on traveling in December/January (when we have collective time off) and would appreciate any tips.

thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2004, 11:54 pm

My Hong Kong Tailor is Mode Elegance at the Peninsula Hotel. I have jackets that are 10 years old I still wear. They are expensive but the workmanship is beautiful. They make a swing through the US every spring visiting large cities, so you don't have to go to Asia to get new clothes made.

If I can make a suggestion; no matter who you decide to use, take along your favorite skirt, pants, jacket or suit and your tailor can copy it. It will usually turn out better than the original
Old Nov 21, 2004, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Lanikai
They make a swing through the US every spring visiting large cities, so you don't have to go to Asia to get new clothes made.
Do you have more info on this? How does this work? Thank you!
Old Nov 22, 2004, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by KSAN
Do you have more info on this? How does this work? Thank you!
Mode Elegante
Peninsula Hotel, Salisbury Rd., Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, China
Phone 2366-8153

Call them and have them put you on their mailing list. They come through the US every spring. I am not sure if they go to San Diego...but they do go to LA. Moda Elegante operates out of hotel rooms in the US. Make an appontment and take a friend or two if you feel at all uneasy about being in a hotel room alone with two men.

I took a suit which fit well. They measured it and drew it up, then measured me. They also bring along a closetfull of samples and fabric swatches if you want to chose something different. Order what you like and they will ship it to you (can't remember how long it takes but under 2 months). If there are any fitting issues they have a local tailor to make adjustments (my things fit perfectly so no need for that).

I have two friends who have used them for years. I have ordered three times from them...once they have your measurements you are good to go.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I'm a big fan of Raja's International in BKK for suits, blouses, dresses, etc.

For leather goods (purses, wallets, custom shoes), I cannot rave enough about Mayer Shoes in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in HKG.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat UA 1P Hilton Gold CO dirt
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but my wife and I are heading to Hong Kong soon, and she want to get some "work" clothes made there. I'm looking for price ranges for shirts/blouses, suits at Mode Elegante and any where else any of the ladies here have used in HKG.

Jantzen has a picture of a woman's suit on their website, and they are reportedly on the lower end of the price range, at least for men's suits (~4000HKD). How much is Moda Elegante? Also, WW Chan also has a ladies "division" in house, has anyone used them? How are the prices at WW Chan?

Thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I used Irene Fashions part of WW Chan who has a great reputation. They were definitely more expensive than I expected, but what they produced was top quality. They also visit the US once or twice a year if you want anything new, once they have your measurements you'd be all set regardless if you can make one of their stops or not.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 3:34 pm

Programs: SPG Plat UA 1P Hilton Gold CO dirt
Originally Posted by GoingAway
I used Irene Fashions part of WW Chan who has a great reputation. They were definitely more expensive than I expected, but what they produced was top quality. They also visit the US once or twice a year if you want anything new, once they have your measurements you'd be all set regardless if you can make one of their stops or not.
Do mind saying roughly how much suits and blouses at Irene Fashions cost? You can pm me if you don't want to post them Thanks!

I don't want to go in there, and have my wife like what she sees, and then say its out of our price range
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue Elite Plus, *A Gold Elite, American AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt Platinum
I've had suits made in Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam. The Thai suits were made in Pattaya at about $60 each and without a doubt are the best. However I do not recommend Pattaya as a travel destination, too sleazy for my liking.

Wasn't impressed with the stuff I got made in Malaysia but the Vietnamese stuff is amazing. Only got one suit there but fabulous evening dresses for $30 each and I've often been asked if I paid more than $500 for them! I got them made in Hoi An at a number of different tailors.

Most I've ever paid for a suit in Asia is $80.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:03 pm

There are shops in Seoul that will make custom suits. I don't have any experience with them, but some women I work with have and they were happy with the results.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 8:23 am

Red face Custom clothes

I second Vietnam as my favorite place to get clothes made. Hoi Ann is a lovely little town that gives you plenty to see and do as you are waiting for your clothes to be made. I reccommend Yaly. A little more expensive than other places in town but great workmanship, plenty of fabrics to choose from and very professional. My husband and I actually had to buy another bag to take everything home in!

I also agree with the poster saying the workmanship and quality in Malaysia while not bad, wasn't even close to Vietnam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.