Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

One Hour Twenty Minute International Domestic Connection at JFK

Old Nov 23, 2004, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

Okay, I'v ebeen searchi for I fares ex-BDL on AA.com and fond one to BRU for $1069 leaving 12/31 returning 1/2.

From a mileage/2005 status perspective it is great, as the return is routing me BRU-JFK-MIA-BDL, but the catch is a 1 hour 20 minute connection at JFK.

I did a search of AA.com and found that the 9:55 a.m. departure from LHR is scheduled to arrive at JFK 5 minutes before my BRU flight, which could mean a longer wait than I've ever experienced at JFK Immigration.

Adding to the concern is that the next JFK-MIA flight is at 6:20 p.m. and arrives after my flight to BDL has left.

What do you think, is this connection pushing it too much?

Thanks!
Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Okay, I'v ebeen searchi for I fares ex-BDL on AA.com and fond one to BRU for $1069 leaving 12/31 returning 1/2.

From a mileage/2005 status perspective it is great, as the return is routing me BRU-JFK-MIA-BDL, but the catch is a 1 hour 20 minute connection at JFK.

I did a search of AA.com and found that the 9:55 a.m. departure from LHR is scheduled to arrive at JFK 5 minutes before my BRU flight, which could mean a longer wait than I've ever experienced at JFK Immigration.

Adding to the concern is that the next JFK-MIA flight is at 6:20 p.m. and arrives after my flight to BDL has left.

What do you think, is this connection pushing it too much?

Thanks!
I'm not an expert in these things but I do know sometimes AA.com gives (and will even ticket) connections that will later be deemed to be illegal. You might want to call and ask AA. And, of course, no matter what they tell you, be prepared for the slight possibility that you'll have to wait around to 6:20pm.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I decided to book it.

Worst case scenario is a misconnect in JFK and a flight on the 777 operated 6:20 p.m. flight. This will mean an overnight in MIA, which could be worse. As the only non-stop to BDL leaves at 8:23 p.m., I could even leverage it into a whole day in Miami. Hello Joe's Stone Crabs!
Old Nov 23, 2004, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PresRDC
I decided to book it.

Worst case scenario is a misconnect in JFK and a flight on the 777 operated 6:20 p.m. flight. This will mean an overnight in MIA, which could be worse. As the only non-stop to BDL leaves at 8:23 p.m., I could even leverage it into a whole day in Miami. Hello Joe's Stone Crabs!
I think that is, in fact, a legal international connection at JFK and I also think that you'll probably make it no problem (no checked bags, I assume?) I'd also take the risk, you'll probably end up making it pretty comfortably. Good trip!
Old Nov 23, 2004, 2:30 pm

To be honest I have found JFK to be one of the fastest airports to process inbound international flights. I am usually outside the terminal heading for Manhattan having cleared immigration, retrieved my checked luggage and cleared customs about half an hour after the plane has touched down. I've had one international connection at JFK when I arrived from LHR and flew out to YUL with about an hour and a half between flights and even with a customs inspection and rechecking my bags I made it.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've always been processed very fast, but I have never been on a flight arriving at the same time as another flight. If that LHR 777 gets in on time, half its pax could be off before I get out. I am an extremely fast walker and have no doubt that I'll be the first from my flight to reach Immigration, but those other people will be in my way.

No offense to any of you who may be traveling on the 9:55 a.m. departure from LHR on Jan 2, but here's wishing you a nice long mechanical delay in LHR or a inoperative jetway at JFK!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.