Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Five Segments, 27 Hours, and Lunch in Manhattan.

Old Dec 13, 2004, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K

Continuing in my quest for UA 1P status, I spent another 27 hours in airports, airplanes, and cities far from home.

With the help of the double EQM promotion, and a tip from letoile regarding cheap L class fares out of OAK I had booked the following:

12/10/04 UA797 OAK-LAX Departs 1954 Arrives 2109
12/10/04 UA168 LAX-BOS Departs 2230 Arrives 0645
12/11/04 US2119 BOS-LGA Departs 0900 Arrives 0906
12/11/04 UA245 LGA-DEN Departs 1707 Arrives 1930
12/11/04 UA505 DEV-OAK Departs 2005 Arrives 2147

I was a bit worried about changing terminals in BOS, but I talked to Violist who told me that there was an airside shuttle bus that would remove the need to cross security. I was still a bit worried about it running as early as I was traveling.

I tried searching for info on it but got nowhere – Google, UA’s website, US’s website, nor even the airport website had any info that I could find. I even tried calling the airport’s info number where the nice lady on the phone explained that there was no such shuttle bus, and never was. This cheered me up as while I felt it was possible that they had taken the shuttle bus out of service since violist last used it, I did trust him that at one point it did exist and therefore the phone lady could be ignored.

I then tried calling the RCC at BOS where after a series of busy signals, and visits to the voicemail system, I talked to someone who confidently explained that it would be running and where to catch it.

In the meantime, my friend Nikki had passed along some soon to expire upgrade vouchers so I could enjoy four out of five of the segments in style (I was still stuck in Y for the US segment). Thankfully all upgrades cleared prior to the day of departure.

I left work around 1700 on Friday and dropped TravelKhatt at home. I quickly packed up my travel toys (I had purchased an iPod so that I would not feel embarrassed if I were mugged in NYC and had nothing good to give up). I then tried checking in online and could not - either due to the upgrades, the US segment or possibly both (the message was a bit unclear). I was on the road about 1800, a little later than desired (especially without being checked in) and a bit concerned about hitting traffic crossing the bay.

Traffic was actually pretty light most of the way, and I was able to detour around some congestion at the 92/880 interchange so I was more or less on time by the time I parked my car and hopped on the shuttle to the terminal.

After waiting for a bit in the short but very slowly moving first class check in, I handed over the certs and received all BP’s for the UA segments and a card instructing me where to find the shuttle bus in BOS to get to the US terminal (so much for the wasted time on the phone and web).

12/10/04 UA 797 OAK-LAX 2D
I was the first to board and quickly settled in. I had brought along a visual aid for my usual habit of following along on Channel 9: Airport diagrams for the various airports I would be traveling through. This way I can follow along on the ground while we taxi to the runway (otherwise the various instructions like Foxtrot3-Charlie-hold short of Whisky are pretty undecipherable). Ok, I am a geek. I admit it.

The pilot and ground controller managed to get us to the runway with my assistance and soon we were heading towards LA. About now I realize that I never had dinner and wasn’t holding out much hope for any decent food on this short haul, or the redeye for that matter. Hmm, in fact it seems like I am only going to get one real meal out of all my segments – dinner on the midcon tomorrow. C’est la vie. I quickly came up with a contingency plan of grabbing some food at Wolfgang Puck’s at LAX.

Having traveled through LAX a month and a half ago I knew exactly where to go to grab my dinner, smuggle it into the RCC, grab a beverage and quickly enjoy it before heading to my departure gate.

Upon landing I used my handy dandy diagram of LAX to follow along as we made our way to the gate. The ground controller at LAX seemed far more harried than any of the ATC controllers on the entire trip.

Unfortunately upon arrival at LAX I had a twilight zone moment where nothing was the way I remembered it. I walked up and down the terminal and it was very different than I had remembered. I did a quick sanity check (This was LAX –check. I was here a month ago – check. Am I drunk? No. – check. Early onset dementia – always a possibility). I basically gave up and asked a gate agent where the RCC was. She explained it was in the next concourse, and I would need to cross security to get there.

Drat! I went to security to eyeball the line and determine if I could make it. I was talking to a TSA employee about how long the wait was likely to get when I noticed a hall leading in the right direction. Eureka! I have found the Northwest passage to Terminal Seven. I grabbed a mushroom and spinach pizza to go and did a quick time check. I did have time to go to the RCC and get a drink. The pizza carton was not seen (or perhaps ignored) by the concierge and bartender. I quickly got my drink and found a discreet location to inhale the pizza. I was careful to leave no evidence of outside food at my makeshift dinner table, and threw away the carton, etc. before heading back out into the terminal.

I made it to the gate just as boarding was beginning. Perfect!

12/10/04 UA 168 LAX-BOS 3D
I was pleasantly surprised to be served a small but surprisingly yummy deli plate (roll and coldcuts).

Realizing that getting some sleep on this flight was critical for me to be able to function in NYC the next day, I had taken a Benedryl and followed it with a Jack and diet Pepsi in hopes of getting myself drowsy. But sleep was slow to come. I watched half of a terrible movie (First Daughter) which left me bored but not drowsy. I played with my iPod and was amused to notice a large number of them in the FC cabin. Perhaps if we crash they could identify the bodies based on the music the passengers were listening to.

I finally caught a couple of hours of fitful sleep, waking up when I could see the sky in front of us start to lighten.

We landed and managed to navigate the taxiways to the gate. We got in after seven so I was quickly off of the plane in search of the CS station where I had been told that I could find the shuttle bus. Unfortunately the desk was empty. I asked a UA employee who told me I should probably double check with a gate agent as sometimes the shuttle isn’t punctual.

I briefly considered checking with the RCC concierge, but had a flashback to my previous dealing with the very slow man behind the counter (see my last trip report), so I checked with the agent who was boarding folks at gate 19 (there was no line), and she told me he was on his way but didn’t seem very concerned or interested.

I went back and waited with two other pax as it got later and later – none of us had actually checked in with US at this point and the flight was about to board. I went back to the agent at C19 to explain the situation, (hoping for perhaps some expediting of the bus, or perhaps a call to the US gate to hold the plane). Instead she was singularly unpleasant explaining that he was on his way and “he can’t fly here”.

I walked back to the desk just before the driver appeared and brought us out to the bus. After signing the log (why we had to log in for the ride is beyond me, but it was faster to do it than argue), we were quickly shuttled to the US terminal where all of us started running to our gate.

The gate agent checked me in and I scored 21 F (next to last row) on the mostly full 737 shuttle.

12/11/04 US 2119 BOS-LGA 21F
I was one of the last to board and settled in. 21E was empty, but I had a seat mate in 21D. But 22 was completely empty, so after climb out, I moved back a row and stretched out, catching another half an hour or so of sleep. Upon landing I was not looking forward with waiting for everyone in the plane to clear out, but as luck would have it they opened the aft exit, and we were allowed to go down the stairs and avoid the traffic jam. Score!

Once inside the airport, I thought it would be a good investment in time to familiarize myself with the UA terminal location - which apparently is in a different building. Luckily, there was a shuttle bus for the surprisingly long trip between terminals. BTW this seems like a good option for plane spotting as the trip takes you past many airplanes. And no pesky log to sign in on!

I arrived in the UA terminal and quickly figured out the likely location of my departure gate. Next, I exited security and took a quick look at the LGA RCC. I had a snack and rehydrated a bit. Then I was off to the newsstand to purchase a day-use metro card for getting into the city.

I tried to stop by the ground transportation desk to ask where to board the bus and get advice on which was faster for getting to Midtown. There was unfortunately a long queue, so I grabbed an MTA map off of the desk and went in search of the bus stop. I didn’t have to wait too long before a Q33 bus came along so I hopped on and rode to the Roosevelt Ave/Jackson Heights station. Along the way I gave TravelKhatt a wake up call and described the fascinating parts of Queens I was enjoying (for example, I never knew that there was a “Queens Culture Trolley”, perhaps it gives Dan Hammer’s Brooklyn tour competition).

I boarded the F train and rode to Rockefeller Center. Now in full tourist mode, I took some pictures of the Christmas Tree and pushed through the crowds to 50th Street. I hung a left and continued walking to Seventh Avenue in search of honest to goodness New York Deli food.

I should take time to explain that living in Northern California there are certain things that can not be obtained for love nor money. For example: Kreplach Soup and Half Sour Dill Pickles. Technically I do know of two places in the bay area that do claim to sell Kreplach soup, the first uses won ton wrappers, and the second is a bit more authentic, but it is still of marginal quality at best. But I digress . . .

So it was 11 am and I figured the line wouldn’t be too long for the Carnegie Deli (never been there, but it has a good reputation and the menu has kreplach soup). It did have a line but it wasn’t too long. Being a solo diner I did not have to wait at all once I got to the front of the line, and I was plunked down at a table with a party of five (they seem to like to fill every seat).

I ordered a pastrami sandwhich and a bowl of kreplach soup with extra kreplach. I would have liked to order a side of kishka (stuffed derma) but it was only available as an entrée. I managed to down about dozen half sour dills during the meal. They were perfect.

The kreplach were a tiny disappointment. Although fresh and having fine filling, the wrappers were rolled way too thin, becoming more of a thin noodle than the thick bite of pasta that I was longing for. The broth was very nice if a bit plain. It was certainly better than the bowl of kreplach I had on my last trip to New York at the place across the street (it's the deli with the big sign telling you not to wait in line and eat there instead).

The sandwich was good, pastrami piled high on real delicatessen rye bread. The Pastrami was not the best I ever had (a bit dry), but was pretty good nonetheless.

I took the second half of the sandwich to go, paid the bill and left. Overall, while a good meal, I left with the opinion that it was overrated and decided to give the almost equally famous Stage Deli down the street a chance on my next trip.

I continued down Seventh Avenue to Times Square where I gawked like a tourist while listening to Joni Mitchell’s Miles of Aisles on the iPod (I think I fit in). I remembered that I had packed a cigar (a nice one, albeit a bit worse for wear after the indignities it had suffered while stuffed in my backpack on three segments of dry recycled airplane atmosphere), and walked over to a sundry shop on Eighth avenue to procure a lighter. I wandered around the Port Authority happily puffing away (and trying to avoid the occasional raindrop) while deciding what to do for the next couple of hours.

Looking at my handy dandy Manhattan map, I decided on ground zero as it was a single train ride away and I remembered that TravelKhatt had no real interest in seeing it.

I entered the Port Authority subway Station and made my way on to the E train getting off at the WTC station. I wandered around for a bit, at first disappointed in the view afforded by the viewing fence, until I followed it along and got a better view from around the corner.

I was now feeling the effects of lack of sleep so I decided to head uptown and catch the M60 back to LGA. I went down into the Cortlandt Street station to catch the R Train. Unfortunately this is one of those stations that there is no way to get from the downtown platform to the uptown platform with out crossing the fare gates – and I had entered on the downtown side. So I make my way over to the other side where the turnstile informed me that my metrocard had just been used and refused to let me enter for 18 minutes.

I tried appealing to the transit worker at the fare window in hopes that she would let me enter via an exit door or jump the turnstile, but I needed to wait in line behind three tourist ladies who were screaming at her because somehow they had been double charged for entry at a previous station. Of course by the time they left the woman behind the counter was in no mood to cut anyone any slack, so I waited until my 18 minutes were up. Fortunately they were having delays and I did not miss a train.

I rode up to Union Square and transferred to the 5 train for the ride to 125th street. Having not spent much time in NY in the last few years, I was a little wary about waiting on the street in Spanish Harlem as I was not sure how rough of a neighborhood it was these days. It did not seem dangerous once I was on the street (while obviously not an affluent neighborhood, it did not seem to have the signs or the vibe of a dangerous one).

Last edited by VPescado; Dec 13, 2004 at 5:07 pm
Old Dec 13, 2004, 8:39 am
Original Poster

The M60 bus came after a few minutes and I was able to find a seat and rest a bit on the ride over, the trip seemed faster than the Q33 and I would recommend it for a pretty quick way to and from the airport. Sitting next to me was a US airline employee obviously running late for a personal flight. She kept having cell phone conversations with her boy friend with phrases like (“Are they boarding?”, “Tell them I am almost there and see if you can fill out the jumpseat form for me”, and “What do you meant there is someone with more seniority that is getting the jumpseat instead of me?”).

Eventually we got to the main terminal and I went to the RCC. I was pleasantly surprised when I asked if the bar was open and was told that not only was it open but that they thought it was free on Saturdays. Then they decided that they weren’t sure, but I should ask.

I headed over to the bar and ordered a Jack and diet Coke. I was then informed that they only serve beer and white wine on Saturdays. OK lessee. . .I can imagine what the white wine would be like. . .so I look at the beer taps. They must think of themselves as pretty cosmopolitan because I see that they are serving both kinds of beer (Bud and Bud Light). I just say “Thanks, anyway” and get a cup of ice water.

I decide to finish off the half sandwich left in my bag - although I am a bit concerned about losing my appetite for dinner. I do some quick calculations and determine that I will be able to eat by the time I get served my first class dinner (for those of you less worldly with literary devices – this is foreshadowing).

I charge my iPod for a bit and check in with TravelKhatt, who seems to finally be getting out of bed. It makes me realize just how exausted I am.

With about 45 minutes until my flight, I head out of the RCC, cross security and get to my gate.

12/11/04 UA 245 LGA-DEN 5D
I take my seat and am soon joined by a gentleman who is interested in my airport diagrams. Turns out he is a student pilot. He has even brought along his Garmin aeronautical GPS – kind of like the streetpilot, but it shows VOR’s, rate of climb, restricted airspace, etc, etc.

Finally we climb to cruising altitude and the FA’s begin serving. It seemed to take forever for them to deliver the cups of nuts and take drink orders. . . 4 more rows. . . my eyelids are getting very heavy and I continually catch myself falling asleep. . . 3 more rows . . . I was going to mention to my seat mate to wake me for drink and meal service, but he was already asleep. . . 2 more rows. . . .

I wake up to see the cart delivering dinners to the second row. I look around - lots of empty drink glasses around us and a cup of nuts next to me. They are cold. I must have been out for more than a few minutes. Drat.

By the time they get to me I don’t even get a choice of salad dressing, let alone entrée. Apparently it was a choice of some sort of chicken that looked tasty or the fish abomination. I enquire about getting a meal from coach. They say it is supposed to be BOB but they will let me have it for free. Until they discover that they have sold out. I was ready to cry. They have me try the fish anyway and it was quite bad – dry with a nasty crust.

I tried not to let my disappointment show too much as I quickly realized:

1) There was nothing else that could be done.
2) The crew was trying their best to accommodate me.
3) It was my own fault.
4) I was probably more cranky from lack of sleep than disappointed about dinner.

I had a chocolate chip cookie for dessert and was given a second one upon request after they finished serving dessert.

Afterwards I did some catching up on my sleep.

Soon we were landing in DEN.

I made a quick pit stop at the West RCC and then moved on to my gate, which very soon began boarding.

12/11/04 UA 505 DEN-OAK 2D
I’ve always heard complaints about the F cabin in a 737, and so was not expecting much. However I was pleasantly surprised by the purser who was wonderful. He always brought me a fresh cocktail when mine was empty without any prompting or needing to remind him what I was drinking. I had enquired about food service, and he was apologetic when he explained that it was just a fruit and cheese plate. But when he served me he mentioned that they had extras onboard and when I finished my plate he was there with a second asking me if I would like it. I understand that none of this is particularly heroic, but he made me feel appreciated as a customer.

I dozed a bit, and finally we were landing in OAK. I followed along on my airport diagram as we taxied to the gate. Then the door opened and I sped to the bus stop to catch the parking lot shuttle bus. The driver and one other passenger had a good laugh hearing about my trip.

Three more weeks and I’ll be 1P - but first I'll need some sleep.

Last edited by VPescado; Dec 13, 2004 at 5:12 pm
Old Dec 13, 2004, 1:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Entertaining story. Sorry about your less-than-stellar
reception at BOS. You should have gone into the RCC anyway:
the slow grumpy guy (hair now dyed blond, ludicrous) is
pretty harmless, especially when he's not there. I see
him mostly on Saturdays.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by violist
Entertaining story. Sorry about your less-than-stellar
reception at BOS. You should have gone into the RCC anyway:
the slow grumpy guy (hair now dyed blond, ludicrous) is
pretty harmless, especially when he's not there. I see
him mostly on Saturdays.
There was no way I was going into the RCC after my experience last time.

First, I would not have been able to glance back down to see if the driver appeared without going back through the doors. And at a minimum, the guy would want to see my BP's for the entire trip. No - stepping in the RCC would certainly have meant missing my connection. It was Saturday so he was likely there.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA, HA regular member, HH, HGP, SPG, Prince Preferred, Budget Fast Break
what types of equiptment?

Besides your last segment (DEN-OAK) being a 737...what were the other types of equiptment that operated the segments?
Old Dec 13, 2004, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyboyHNL
Besides your last segment (DEN-OAK) being a 737...what were the other types of equiptment that operated the segments?
IIRC:
OAK-LAX 319,
LAX-BOS 320,
BOS-LGA 737 (US shuttle),
LGA-DEN 757-200,
DEN-OAK 737
Old Dec 14, 2004, 5:39 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Great trip reports, except next time in NYC, skip the midtown delis and go to the lower E. side, direct to the "Second Ave" for your authentic NY deli fix.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 5:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by VPescado
I boarded the F train and rode to Rockefeller Center. Now in full tourist mode, I took some pictures of the Christmas Tree and pushed through the crowds to 50th Street.
We were probably within a few feet of each other when you were there. If I only knew to look for you It was quite crowded this Saturday. I was there the week before on a Friday and it was much easier to get around, and got some great photos.

Agree with you about staying awake on the flights home--it can be a challenge on these overnight trips. I slept through the dinner ordering process, though they came back and got me just before service started, and had my choice of entree left in F (on an AA nonstop JFK-SFO).

Last edited by tom911; Dec 14, 2004 at 5:58 pm
Old Dec 14, 2004, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Great trip reports, except next time in NYC, skip the midtown delis and go to the lower E. side, direct to the "Second Ave" for your authentic NY deli fix.

Ahh...I had thought of that. But I was going to be there on a Saturday. As I recall most of the authentic deli's on the Lower East Side are closed on Saturday.

I suspected that Katz's might be an exception. The good news is that they were open on Saturday (it's a shonda, I know). The bad news is that they weren't serving Kreplach (they are adding it to the menu soon though).
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:04 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Some of the kosher delis are closed on Shabbat but 2nd Ave. is open every day.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Some of the kosher delis are closed on Shabbat but 2nd Ave. is open every day.

Unfortunately they are closed for passover. So much for my Kreplach fix on the freddies weekend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.