Wiki Posts
Search

SKYMILES CHANGES Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Exclamation SKYMILES CHANGES Q&A

Hello. I’m a member of Delta’s Consumer Marketing team, and today we’re announcing changes to the SkyMiles Program that we believe will make our Medallion program more attractive to current and prospective members. We recognize that FlyerTalk members follow our program closely, so we wanted you to be among the first to learn of the new developments.

Here are the highlights:
• Full MQM credit on L, U and T fares
• Domestic upgrades simplified
• The Platinum Medallion qualification level reduced to 75,000 MQM

More information on the changes is available at www.delta.com/skymileschanges.

The website should answer most questions about the changes, but I’ll be here (with help from others at Delta) for the next couple of weeks to address specific questions about the changes. We recognize anytime we make changes each member is impacted in a different way. Our hope is that with this announcement, we addressed the issues that are the most important to the most Medallion members. I look forward to answering your questions and hearing your feedback.

I will visit this thread once or twice per day to gather questions and respond as quickly as possible-- hopefully within 12-24 hours. I can’t guarantee a response to every question, but we’ll do our best to answer relevant questions quickly.

We’re also going to start a second new thread to capture your opinions about the changes. Let us know how you like them!

Feel free to respond with questions. Thanks.

================================================== ======

THE MODERATORS WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR ASSISTANCE.

In order to assist the Official Skymiles Helper:

1) Please refrain from copying the text from the original post and also the text of the email from DL that we have all received in this thread unless it is absolutely needed in order for you to ask your question.

2)Official Skymiles Helper has requested that we place our questions pertaining to this new program on this thread. He then goes on to say that he will start a second thread for you to express your opinions. Therefore it would be appreciated if you would only place your questions in this thread, not your opinions.

If you cannot wait until this second opinion thread is started by the Official Skymiles Helper, you can temporally use this thread started by EchoVictor to express your opinions.

The Official Skymiles Helper is here to assist us and we should attempt to make this task as easy as possible. Therefore the moderators will be editing existing posts that include the original text of the Official Skymiles Helper's post and/or the DL email that was sent to all of us so that this will become a "user friendly" thread for all to read.

Finally, please be patient in waiting for the Official Skymiles Helper's replies as there have been many questions asked, and Delta’s Consumer Marketing team will be reviewing them in order to give us the correct response.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

Rssrsvp - Moderator

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Dec 17, 2004 at 6:40 am Reason: THE MODERATORS WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR ASSISTANCE.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
They're here at last... PM devalued, more competition for upgrade seats... or ^ ?
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:32 am

Fantastic and Welcome. We've needed an official helper for some time. Please stick around.

and I see from the link that CRC will continue to be comp for PMs.

Hopefully this is all a first step in welcoming many people back to the "Delta Family"
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:34 am
jvs

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Edited to remove the original text from the Official Skymiles Helper.

Rssrsvp - Moderator

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Dec 16, 2004 at 7:58 am Reason: Removed the original text from the Official Skymiles Helper.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:35 am
jvs

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Queastion

If a GM currentlt has 77k MQM in 2004 are they a PM in 2005?
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:38 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to the Delta Forum, Official SkyMiles Helper
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:47 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
The simplification is much appreciated.

I wonder what Delta's thinking was regarding the new MQM multipliers since it makes it less of an incentive to buy the more expensive fares.

Mileage runs are back!
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
These changes qualifiy as HUGE...and in a positive way. This will actually position the SM program ahead of Continental and NWA. Finally, some common-sense has invaded the halls of Virginia Avenue and the ghosts of Mullin et al have been exorcised. Adding a 50% threshold bonus for Y/B/M is the proper way to go - a 'carrot' incentive to pay up and earn faster, rather than a 'stick' punishment against those who have no choice but buy LUT because of corp. travel policies.

Now let's hope the elimination of MQMs forces CO's hand - they will look foolish holding out on this.

However - given that Platinum on DL will offer alot more than competing programs (CRC membership, SWUs), I think the threshold probably should have stayed at 100,000 - now you will have a flood of new Plats and probably alot of competition for the upgrade seats remaining after P/G/S members paying YBM have been processed. Anyway, however you look at it, it's a huge leap in the right direction.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:56 am

Programs: DL DM
ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!

Excellent changes, and it is great to have an official DL voice in the forum. I have a few minor questions...

Question 1: Where did S fares come from? As a result of a new lower fare bucket, will we see Y/B/M fares rise? (ANSWERED: Apparently they are international consolidator fares for anyone else who was curious. Odd to see DL spefically mention it though, since I don't ever recall seeing it before on the MQM page - Thanks DeltaAgent!)

Question 2: Is "1 Calendar Day in Advance" 12:01 am the day before the flight or 24 hours prior?

Question 3: On the "1 Calendar Day" prior would a Silver Medallion on a K fare still clear ahead of a Silver Medallion on a T fare?

Thanks!

Last edited by NHFL9; Dec 15, 2004 at 3:35 pm
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Times they are a changin'

First of all, welcome, Official SkyMiles Helper. I'm delighted to see Delta has decided to have a formal presence on this board. Unfortunately, the way I see it, you are the bearer of ill tidings for those of us who really are high-mileage business flyers.

Basically, you've brought SkyMiles in line with CO/NW, which makes sense, given their entry into SkyTeam. Unfortunately, whether we like it or not, AA/UA really represent the upper crust of US airlines in terms of catering to the business flyer. The lack of 100,000 mile tier surely is just a harbinger of the lack of SWU/PMUs. Let me be the first to predict there will be no PMU issuance next year. I also don't see how continuing to offer free CRC will be tenable in the alliance at the same level, as NW and CO flyers would be silly not to switch to DL if you ever get the upgrade reciprocity worked out (which I expect these changes will go a long way towards making happen).

So, I suspect this is a win for a large group of customers. Unfortunately for those of us who can attain a 100K elite level, I think it's dark news.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jvs
I'm guessing that you (and I with just over 75k MQMs in 2004) will not be given PM status in 2005, but it would be a nice addition to the threshhold options.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:15 pm

Thanks for joining us, Official Skymiles Helper. Your presence should be very helpful. As I've said on another thread, these changes will benefit me since I rarely fly F and only occasionally YBM. The upgrade in MQM value of LUT fares overall is a very positive move in my view. I was wavering on moving away from DL in 2005 but this series of changes will make me reconsider. It really is a "simplification" unlike some of the other "enhancements". Also, just a reminder to monitor the other "DL changes" threads on FT so that you won't miss any of FTer's thoughts. Again, welcome aboard.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA-Silver; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Gold
What will be the MQM earning on other Skyteam airlines in P,F, J, C, D etc.. ?

For example: Will you still receive 2x MQM's for a paid P ticket on AF or will it be reduced to 1.5x ?

Never mind. I answered my own question. The website is updated for 2005. Only 1.5x MQM for the other Skyteam airlines too.

Last edited by TMOTEE; Dec 15, 2004 at 12:27 pm
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:25 pm
Jib

Programs: DL 5MM+/FC/DM through 2022, UA PEX, Marriott PPMLT, Starwood PM, Hertz PM
Official SkyMiles Helper.....Please tell us how DL will incentivize those of us that fly 150,000+ MQMs per year? Will there be a new level above Platinum with additional benefits?

Edited to remove the original text from the Official Skymiles Helper.

Rssrsvp - Moderator

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Dec 16, 2004 at 7:59 am Reason: Edited to remove the original text from the Official Skymiles Helper.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:26 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jvs
I HOPE NOT! I paid extra money (beyond what i would have normally spent for travel) this year to make sure i got 100k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.