Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

SUMMARY THREAD - RESPONSES FROM THE OFFICIAL SKYMILES HELPER ON OUR QUESTIONS.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SUMMARY THREAD - RESPONSES FROM THE OFFICIAL SKYMILES HELPER ON OUR QUESTIONS.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2004, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Exclamation Summary Thread - Responses From The Official Skymiles Helper On Our Questions.

This sticky thread is a summary of the replies made by the Official Skymiles Helper on questions asked regarding the new Skymiles program. It will be updated whenever the OSH posts on the SKYMILES CHANGES Q&A thread.

Rssrsvp - Moderator
================================================== ===

Dec 16, 04, 10:10 am #154
Official SkyMiles Helper

Programs: Delta

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,

Let me begin by thanking you for your loyalty to Delta - your comments and suggestions have been extemely helpful. It's been a very busy 24 hours, so apologies for not getting back to everyone sooner.

Due to the high volume of responses, it will be difficult to answer questions in individual posts, so I'll try to post one response daily covering all questions received for that day.

Your comments and suggestions are being compiled daily and provided to our senior leadership. Although we've made some pretty significant changes, we will continue to look at the program throughout the year and implement changes where it makes sense for you the customer, and Delta.

I'm still working through the questions received yesterday and should answers to these around noon today. Each day, I'll compile all questions received by 5pm EST and have responses the following day by 12pm EST. There may be times when this may not be possible, however when I'm not able to post, I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks again,

Official SkyMiles Helper

================================================== ====

Dec 16, 04, 2:04 pm #168
Official SkyMiles Helper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for your patience. Listed below are the responses to questions asked through yesterday. Later this evening, we'll pull today's questions and will do all possible to have those posted by 12pm EST on Friday.

Although we'd love to be able to answer all questions related to Delta, I'm only going to be able to respond to those directly related to the SkyMiles program and recent changes. Also, I'll be unable to respond to those directed toward a private mailbox, so please keep all comments and questions on this thread.

Thanks again, and I hope this provides some clarity around recent changes. Keep the questions and comments coming!

Thanks,
Official SkyMiles Helper

MQM, SkyTeam, Award Tix/Upgrades
• Why didn't they entirely get rid of MQM's?

Our research, surveys and customer focus groups showed us that the qualification system implemented in 2003 does a good job of recognizing and rewarding our most valued customer and, more importantly, members like the MQM system. However, we did learn it was too complex. These changes will simplify the process, continue to reward members who choose to purchase higher fares and make our program more competitive.

• Will the mileage requirements for award tix and upgrades stay the same for next year?

Currently, we expect the award and upgrade levels to remain the same for 2005. As part of the simplification process, we are looking at simplifying SkyTeam and our other airline partner process to make it easier to request awards.

• Will complimentary upgrades between all three (DL, NW, CO) be happening anytime soon?

We are currently evaluating the situation.

• CO and NW both give 50% mileage bonus to Silvers. Why not DL?

While Delta considers the competitive landscape as it makes decisions regarding SkyMiles program benefits, we feel this benefit is right for Delta’s current situation . We will be considering elite-tier benefits as a package and not as an individual component. We believe Delta’s elite-tier benefits are competitive within the industry.

• I see that MQM chart for Continental now says "This chart applies only when traveling on Continental Airlines-coded flights." Previously, it indicated that the flight must be operated by CO. Last year, I flew on VS MCO-LGW on a CO ticket. However, since it was a CO flight number and VS operated I could earn neither MQM's or Skymiles. From the change in wording, it appears that now I will be able to get both MQM's and Skymiles. Is this correct?

You may earn MQM and SkyMiles on Continental Airlines-coded flights that are operated by any SkyTeam airlines. The info on delta.com will be updated soon.

• What will be the MQM earning on other Skyteam airlines in P,F, J, C, D etc.. ?

You will earn 1.5 MQM

For example: Will you still receive 2x MQM's for a paid P ticket on AF or will it be reduced to 1.5x ?

You will earn 1.5 MQM

• Official SkyMiles Helper.....Please tell us how DL will incentivize those of us that fly 150,000+ MQMs per year? Will there be a new level above Platinum with additional benefits?

There are no plans to establish another tier beyond 75,000 MQM, however, we will be continually evaluating the program to ensure we meet the needs of our customers. There may be times we offer select members unpublished benefits such as higher status, benefits or promotions based on 2004 flight activity.

PM Threshold - Fourth Tier
• Will there be another tier beyond 75k (i.e. 100 or 125k?) How else will they keep people loyal after 75,000 ?

There are no plans to establish another tier beyond 75,000 MQM, however, we will be continually evaluating the program to ensure we meet the needs of our customers. There may be times we offer select members unpublished benefits such as higher status, benefits or promotions based on 2004 flight activity.

PM Threshold for 2005?
• If a GM currently has 77k MQM in 2004 are they a PM in 2005?

No. The current threshold of 100,000 MQM is what determines PMs for 2005. If the GM accrues 75k+ MQM in 2005, they will be awarded PM for 2006.

• Where did S fares come from? As a result of a new lower fare bucket, will we see Y/B/M fares rise?

It is a rarely used existing fare class and does not represent a new lower fare bucket

Calendar Days
• Is "1 Calendar Day in Advance" 12:01 am the day before the flight or 24 hours prior?

It’s not exactly at 12:01, but all upgrades will be cleared shortly after midnight each night.

• On the "1 Calendar Day" prior would a Silver Medallion on a K fare still clear ahead of a Silver Medallion on a T fare?

Yes. Based on standard hierarchy, a K fare would clear ahead of a T fare if both customers are Silver Medallions.

PMU
• Will PMUs still be available?

Platinum Medallions will continue to receive the same amount of PMUs.

MQM Multiplier
• I've read 2 or 3 different things. Is a Y or M 1 MQM or 1.5 MQM??

This is easiest answered by referring to the chart below. As you can see, Y, B, and M class all represent 1.5 MQM

Class of Service Fare Class Medallion Qualification Miles & Award Miles Earned Example of Medallion Qualification Miles & Award Miles Earned on a 1,000-mile Flight
First, BusinessElite, Business and Full-fare Economy P, F, A, J, D, C, I, Y, B, M 150% of flown miles
Discounted Economy and Deeply-discounted Economy H, Q, K, S L, U, T 100% of flown miles 1,000

Small Business vs. Corporate Discounts
• Although I am aware and participate in the Skybonus program, it really does not address the small businesses who have individuals who fly weekly. Now that the overall new Sky Miles program announcement has been made, is Delta planning to address this issue?

There are no current plans to establish a corporate discount for small businesses.

Increased number of Platinum Medallions
• There seems to be a general consensus that changing the PM qualifying level from 100K MQMs to 75k MQMs will result in a whole raft of new PMs, making upgrades, etc more hard to come by. I am wondering if that is actually going to be true.

We conducted extensive research on this before making the change. We expect to see an increase in Platinum Medallion members since we made that level more attainable; however, we will be closely monitoring the upgrade rate to evaluate any impact.

Song – U/T Fares
• Do we get full MQM on Song U/T fares?

Yes. These changes apply to all Delta mainline, Song, and Delta Connection flights.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Dec 20, 2004 at 10:01 am
Old Dec 20, 2004, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

================================================== ==

Dec 16, 04, 3:48 pm #173
Official SkyMiles Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedehans
Great question.

I'd like to add a little clarity around this, as there seems to be some confusion. The new program is effective January 1, 2005 and therefore any miles accrued between January 1 - December 31, 2004 would be recognized for status in 2005. For example, if I've earned 77,000 miles this year, I will a GM in 2005. If I earn 77,000 miles next year, I will be a PM in 2006.

For those asking about exceptions, Delta is currently not providing higher status for those customers who are close to reaching Medallion by the end of 2004. However, we will review members' accounts in early 2005 with the possibility of offering select members higher status, benefits or promotions based on their 2004 flight activity. It's important to remember that these members will find it much easier to earn Medallion status in 2005.

Hope this helps!
ODH
================================================== ======

Dec 17, 04, 1:51 pm #218
Official SkyMiles Helper

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for your patience while we put together answers to all the great questions.

I also want to you let you know that we'll provide answers to all of today's questions on Monday afternoon. As we get closer to the holidays, we'll also be adjusting our schedules a bit but will be sure to let everyone know.

Thanks again, and hope you all have an enjoyable weekend.

-Official SkyMiles Helper

Change in Number of Platinum Medallions

How many new Platinum Medallion members is this change expected to add - either in raw numbers or percentages?

• We expect to see an increase in Platinum Medallion members, but we can’t share that sort of specific proprietary data.

Does Delta plan to expand Crown Room Clubs to accommodate all the new Platinum members?

• We currently have two expansion projects scheduled for 2005. Delta will be opening a new terminal in Boston in April, and expanding from one to two Crown Room locations. Also, in fall 2005 we will add a 6,800 sq ft. Crown Room on Concourse C in Atlanta. This is part of a $20 million renovation of the Atlanta airport's Concourse C and this will be the first Crown Room on the concourse.

We will continue to evaluate the quality and comfort of each club on an individual basis, recognizing that comfort is the primary need of our members.

It's clear that among the countless questions you've been asked, the one constantly recurring theme is people are concerned that there will be a ton of new Platinum Medallions because of the drop in level to 75k MQM (despite the elimination of 2x opportunities). Can you make any comment on what DAL expects in this regard?

• This is a repeat question from yesterday, but we understand this is a concern some of you have so we’ve included the answer below.

We conducted extensive research on this before making the change. It is important that we continue to provide our Platinum Medallion members with the most valuable benefits available to any of our members. For example, Platinum Medallion members have the highest priority on waitlists, standbys and upgrades. Platinum Medallion members also receive six Platinum Medallion Upgrades (PMUs) that are good for one-way upgrades on both domestic and international Delta flights. Delta is the only airline that continues to offer free lounge access to our highest tier.

In addition, for our Platinum members who significantly exceed 75,000 MQM each year, we plan to offer individualized, special additional incentives to reward their continued loyalty to Delta.

The SkyMiles program will continue to evolve as we strive to make the overall Delta experience more inviting for customers. We will carefully monitor program activity and customer and employee feedback to ensure these changes achieve the desired results – a simpler, more customer-friendly and efficiently run program.

MQM/Segment Questions

I thought the 750-mile minimum change last year was meant to help the higher-fare paying short-haul flyers [such as myself - most of my flights are around Florida] given that the changes the year before seriously impacted their ability to attain Medallion status. Delta's recent changes have again impacted those flyers - any plans to reconsider?

• The new increase in MQM awarded on deeply discounted L, U and T fares and the lowered Platinum Medallion qualification level (75,000 MQM) will significantly offset the new 500 MQM minimum. There are no plans to reconsider, however, we plan to analyze member activity and provide additional benefits and new promotions to loyal members who do not qualify under the published guidelines.

With 100% MQM credit, why in the world would anyone EVER purchase a HQK fare again? Can I get a credit for the K+ fares I have already bought for next year on this presumption?

• We will be unable to offer any refunds for tickets purchased prior to the announcement of changes to the SkyMiles program. However, keep in mind that HQK fares have fewer restrictions and are easier to upgrade (i.e. tie breaker vs same status member purchasing a LUT fare).

I think Delta has an ethical duty to honor the 2x MQM on tickets purchased prior to the date of the announced changes. I'm sure I am not the only one who bought tickets based on the MQM system in place at the time of purchase. While it's true that Delta inserted a * and disclaimer stating that MQM may change, I do not remember seeing that before a few weeks ago. I was certainly never told about the possibility of MQM changes when on the phone with SMS booking those tickets. Delta - You have a problem here. How are you going to handle it?

• These situations will be evaluated on an individual basis. Following travel, I would encourage you to forward your information to the link below for consideration. http://www.delta.com/emailus/servlet/EmailUs?cmd=go

Is Delta reconsidering segments as a means to achieve status?

With your program obviously aligning itself more with Northwest and Continental, why is segment credit not reinstated such as recently done at Northwest and continued at Continental?

• We did not reinstate segment qualification because it was not an effective measurement tool in determining Delta’s best customers.],. However, we plan to analyze member activity and provide additional benefits and new promotions to loyal members who do not qualify under the published guidelines.

Upgrade Questions

Will DL ever consider the return of SWU's (FT991's) for all Medallions (not just PMU's for PM's)?

• There are no current plans to implement SWUs, however, we plan to offer individualized, special additional incentives to reward Platinum Medallions for their continued loyalty to Delta.

Say there is a 16 F seat, but Delta only allows for 4 of them in V class. Does that mean that even if any Medallion buys a YBM at any point and those 4 are gone, that they will be ‘waitlisted’ or ‘On Request’ as it is now? How does the waitlist work then? Are there still A1 and A1R? Are PMs always going to be at A1 and FOs and GMs on Y or B at A1R to beat it? What about FOs and GMs on Ms? Is the time of purchase a factor in the tie-breaking process?

• The upgrade process will be based on Medallion level and the fare paid for each ticket. If an upgrade is not available at the time of booking, the customer will be placed into a queue and will be cleared based on these criteria, along with the time they requested the upgrade.

We are working toward automating the process from the queue to the airport stand by list to make the process seamless and hope to have this in place in late 2005.

Is their a hierarchy among PM’s, GM’s, and FO’s whereby those that buy the higher fares like HQK’s are given a slight jump on the same level Medallion who buys LUT’s? In other words, the five-day window opens for all PM’S on a given flight. Will the upgrades available be given on a random basis or will the various fares paid factor into the upgrade priority?

• Since all Medallions purchasing Y, B, M fares will clear at the same time (at booking) when available, those upgrades will be based on time of request. For all other fares, hierarchy for upgrade clearance will be based on elite level and the fare paid within each level. For instance, a PM in a H, Q, K class would clear before a GM in H,Q, K.

When will Medallions receive free domestic upgrades on CO & NW?

• This is currently being evaluated.

Last and most importantly, when will DL change their ridiculous policy regarding day of departure upgrades at the gate for international flights?

• We understand this is a concern and are continually evaluating opportunities to change policies to meet the needs of our premium customers. This is a policy that will be looked at closely in 2005.

Previously domestic mileage upgrades were only allowed on YBM coach fares. Since now Medallion members can confirm free domestic upgrades at the time of purchase on YBM fares, does that mean that I can start using miles to upgrade on lower fare classes? Otherwise what the heck is the point of the domestic mileage upgrade award for medallion members?

• There are two types of awards available for upgrading – full fare and select fares. These have not changed within the new program and will continue to be available for customers unable to use their free domestic upgrades.

Pre-Boarding Question

When will Song allow us full Medallion benefits including pre-boarding in all zones?

• At this point in time, there are no plans to allow full Medallion benefits on Song flights. We will continue to evaluate the Medallion program and its implementation within Song as we move forward.

Million Miler Program Question

Please comment on the Million Miler program - why the change from ‘Lifetime’ status to ‘Annual’ status? What does that mean? My card says ‘Lifetime Silver Medallion’, does that mean I have that status for the rest of my life? When I hit 2,000,000 miles, how long exactly will my Gold Medallion status last?

• To clarify, no changes were made to the Million Miler program in the most recent program announcement.

o As a 1 Million Miler, you will continue to receive complimentary Silver status each year.
o As a 2 Million Miler, you will continue to receive complimentary Gold status each year.
o As a 4 Million Miler, you will continue to receive complimentary Platinum status each year.

As we continue to evaluate the various benefits provided each level in the future, the change in wording simply clarifies that you will receive the benefits defined with each level of status on an annual basis. As such, if a benefit is added to the Gold tier next year, you will benefit from the addition. Likewise, if a benefit is discontinued, you will no longer receive that benefit.

Will the lifetime GM continue for 2MMs? (And lifetime PM for 4MMs?)

• Yes.

As a 1 Million Miler, you will continue to receive complimentary Gold status each year.
As a 2 Million Miler, you will continue to receive complimentary Gold status each year.
As a 4 Million Miler, you will continue to receive complimentary Platinum status each year.

Miscellaneous Questions

Does Delta have any plans to institute a greater-pitch coach seating area, either as a non-upgraded Medallion seating area or a MRTC (More Room Throughout Coach)plan?

• Delta does not plan to have a greater-pitch coach seating area for non-upgraded Medallions or as part of a MRTC program. It is important to note, however, that we are evaluating our entire product to determine how we can improve comfort for all passengers. In fact, you my have noticed we recently refurbished the interiors of some of our fleet already.

Does the website still allow International Mileage Reservations?
When will you allow us to book "international award" travel on the website?

• Although International Award redemptions are limited on delta.com, we launched the ability to book awards to Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean yesterday. Additional enhancements include the ability to redeem award tickets for family and friends who may not be traveling with a member and one-way or stop-over itineraries. Further enhancements, including more robust capability to book International awards, are planned for 2005.

Did the change fee really drop to $50?

• Yes, the change fee for award tickets has dropped from $100/ticket to $50/ticket. This fee will be assessed on both origin & destination changes as well as date changes on all SkySaver awards. SkyChoice awards on the other hand are treated as full fare tickets and will not be assessed a change fee. These changes align with the fees charged for revenue tickets.

Does Delta plan to offer a streamlined "comp" program to help customers transition from other programs? If no I suggest that they consider doing so?

• We do not have plans to offer a streamlined comp program to help customers transition from other programs at this point in time. However, we will review members' accounts in early 2005 and may offer select members benefits or promotions based on their 2004 flight activity.

Will there be any olive branch extended to former Platinums to do a challenge in the winter to regain PM status? Something like, ‘Earn 20,000 MQM prior to March 1 and we'll restore your former PM status’? … Have you considered, or will you offer, former elites a chance to requalify in expedited fashion for their former elite level using some sort of winter challenger?

• We do not have plans to offer this type of program at this point in time. We will review members' accounts in early 2005 and may offer select members benefits, or promotions based on previous flight activity.

Will fare class be used as a tiebreak when two people of the same status are competing for the last seat?

• Yes, fare class will continue to be used to “break ties” in determining priority for upgrades.
================================================== ====
Old Dec 20, 2004, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dec 17, 04, 4:16 pm #227
Official SkyMiles Helper

Originally Posted by akhullar
Hmmm ! Was this just a slip ? Did he/she in a hurry signoff as ODH instead of OSH ?

In the rest of the posts it was not the case

Sorry, slip of the fingers.

OSH (Official SkyMiles Helper)
================================================== ===

Dec 17, 04, 4:22 pm #230
Official SkyMiles Helper

Originally Posted by indufan
I am glad to see the frankness on questions that you simply can't answer...and on top of that, wow, it's so great to have you here.

Can you share with us how you arrived here? Did this come from the top? Did you seek the position?

I'm here temporarily to help answer specific questions about the recent changes to the SkyMiles program. As with any major change, there will be questions and we thought it would be best for our customers to be able to hear directly from the source.

I have other responsibilities within Consumer Marketing which is why I'm not able to answer most questions any quicker than within 24 hours.
================================================== =====

Dec 17, 04, 4:28 pm #231
Official SkyMiles Helper

Originally Posted by kesco
Hi OSH,

If I'm a GM and I purchased a ticket in M class in 11/04, and my upgrade status is currently listed as 'On Request' for a flight departing on 1/10/05, could this now clear on 1/1/05? If not, when could it clear?

Thanks!
Adam

Hi Adam,

That's correct. As of January 1st, the new hierarchy will be in effect and you should clear (providing space is available of course).

OSH
Old Dec 20, 2004, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Today, 11:38 am #290
Official SkyMiles Helper

SkyMiles Q&A - December 17th
Good Morning,

I hope everyone had a great weekend. Due to the high volume of questions received, we'll have responses to Friday's questions by 8am Tuesday morning.

We apologize for the delay.

Old Dec 20, 2004, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Today, 5:40 pm #297
Official SkyMiles Helper

Q&A - December 17th (Part I)
Good Afternoon,

I hope everyone had a great weekend. Below are answers to questions from Friday. As a reminder, due to time constraints we will be unable to provide answers to questions previously asked and answered. Therefore, please review the previous day’s posts and/or Rssrsvp’s summary thread (good idea, thanks!) to make sure you don’t ask duplicate questions. I’d also like to ask that questions remain relative to changes within the SkyMiles program to ensure timely responses. Please also recognize that we can’t provide complete answers to every question – some of our marketing efforts are confidential and cannot be disclosed.

As mentioned in my first post, we planned to have 2 threads, one specific to questions and another for comments. Given that several of you have already begun using the thread started by EchoVictor, we’ll continue to use this to capture comments.

Thanks again.

Medallion Qualification

You replied to a question about the reduction in MQM minimums from 750 to 500 by stating that the increase in LUT fares and the reduction in PM qualifying from 100k to 75k as a wash is not true for short haul flyers in the south.

I rarely, if ever see LUT fares available from PBI to other locations in the south. I usually purchased HQK fares, often times YBM fares and sometimes A fares. In those three cases, my MQMs are reduced anywhere from 33% to 50%.

Examples:

2004 short haul RT on YBM fare: 4500 MQMs (1125 * 4)
same trip in 2005: 3000 MQMs - decrease of 33%

2004 short haul RT on HQK fares: 3000 MQMs (750 * 4)
same trip in 2005: 2000 MQMs (500 * 4) - descreas of 33%

2004 short haul RT on A fare: 6000 MQMs (1500 * 4)
same trip in 2005: 3000 MQMs (750 * 4) - decrease of 50%

It is going to take me significantly more round trips in a year to make Platinum again.
So, for the Platinum short haul traveler, who rarely purchases LUT fares (which by the way, would be almost all of us, since you would have to have 66 round trips in one year using LUT fares to make platinum), this is far from a "wash."

Sorry to be so abrupt, but I hate when I am told something that is factually incorrect. It is not a wash if you did not purchase LUT fares and are platinum. And to make platinum under the old rules, you did not purchase many LUT fares. Care to readdress this? Or is this still Delta's stance?

• We recognize that each Medallion member may be affected differently by the changes and are aware that there is a small but very important population of Medallions who may be adversely affected by the program changes.

We have identified and are monitoring the groups of people who we think do not benefit from the changes and will address those populations with targeted promotions that best serve our customers’ needs.

Award Ticket Fees

What about the change in change fees? If I book an award ticket prior to 12/31/04, do I still get the no-fee change? Or, will the $50 change fee apply if I try to change it after 12/31/04?
• All fees are effective for bookings on or after 12/15/04. Please contact the number on the back of your card for any specific questions regarding your situation.

Why does the new $50 per ticket service charge for Award Ticket Redemption 14 days or less in advance apply for SkyChoice Award Tickets? They can be reissued for free--why not issue for free 14 days or less in advance as an additional perk?

• That’s a good idea and one we may visit in the future.

Does the $50 per ticket service charge for Award Ticket Redemption 14 days or less in advance apply for transactions at Delta.com? If so, why given that we are not contacting a reservation/sales agent by telephone?

• Yes. As a means to simplify, $50/ticket is applied to all award ticket redemptions 14 days or less in advance at all channels.

If you change origin, destination, date and/or time of multiple SkySaver award tickets during one phone call, will you be charged $50 for each ticket or $50 for one phone call?

• $50 per ticket.

Did the $50 change fee on award tickets come about because it was a way around the rapid redemption fees?

Why is Delta now charging a $50 fee to change only the dates of an award ticket?

• We looked to address fees on a holistic level. As such, we not only reduced a number of fees surrounding the award tickets but also aligned our fees with revenue tickets as a means to simplify. This reduces not only customer confusion but also eases the strain on our front line.

With regard to fees, award tickets are treated as the equivalent to revenue tickets. A SkySaver award is equivalent to a deeply-discounted revenue ticket and therefore incurs the fees that would be incurred on such a ticket ($50/ticket for date and/or origin and destination changes). A SkyChoice award (double miles) on the other hand is equated to a premium fare ticket and therefore does not incur change fees for origin and destination or date changes.

Is the regular $100 change fee now also $50 or is this just the fee for award travel that is being changed?

• The regular $100 change fee has also been reduced to $50/ticket.

I've found that often, additional SkySaver award seats are not released until 14 or less days in advance. Will that be moved up a few days to enable us to redeem miles without having to pay $50 for each SkySaver award ticket desired?

• We are looking into a number of options to address this issue.

Upgrades

Will Delta recalibrate load management to increase available upgrade seats during upgrade windows? Before I left for AA, one of my biggest frustrations as a Platinum Medallion was seeing First Class almost completely open, yet having to wait for upgrade clearance at the gate.

• We cannot disclose this information for competitive reasons but are continually evaluating opportunities to change policies to meet the needs of our premium customers.

Does the ‘Upgrade Confirmation (Y, B, & M fares)’ 2005 Medallion benefit include government fares?

• Yes, all fares falling within YBM classes are included.

The "Upgrade Confirmation (Y, B, & M fares)" 2005 Medallion benefit footnote states that upgrades are subject to limited availability and may not be available on all flights. How do we determine if an instant upgrade is available before we purchase a YBM ticket by phone? At delta.com? Through a travel agent (to include travel websites other than delta.com)?

• The footnote is in place because we recognize that there will be flights when first class may not be available and certain aircraft within our fleet are configured for coach class only. We will however, be enhancing delta.com in 2005 to provide enhanced functionality. If you want to be guaranteed first class, you can always purchase a first class seat.

I've got another upgrade question regarding the confirmed upgrade for Medallion at time of booking for Y/B/M -- will that only happen if I book a flight for 2005 after 1/1/05 or can I book now for a flight in 2005 to get the upgrade confirmed now? How can I see if an upgrade can be confirmed? Will it show up automatically on the website as "available" or some such instead of "request only"?

• The new hierarchy will take place after midnight (EST) on 1/1/05, therefore any flights booked in YBM after that may be upgraded if space is available. If your flight was booked in YBM prior to 1/1/05, it will be cleared in order based on time of booking. For example, if a Gold Medallion (do we need to clarify which Medallion status we’re talking about?) booked in M on 12/26/04 and a Gold Medallion who booked M on 12/27/04, the Medallion booking on 12/26/04 would clear first based on time of booking.

You may always check delta.com or call Special Member Services to verify if your upgrade has cleared. We are currently working on a system to automatically notify customers when their upgrades clear and hope to have this available in early 2005.

Is it true, based on your comments, that the fare category stratification as it relates to gate upgrade standby list processing has changed somewhat? In the past, there were two categories of fares: full fares (previously defined as Y or B only) and "discount" fares (which previously has been defined as anything other than Y or B). Under that system, anyone on Y or B would trump anyone on anything less than Y or B. At the same time, when it came to upgrade processing at the gate, all "discount" fares were considered the same -- i.e., a T fare was considered no differently than a K fare. In other words, a PM on a T fare would trump a SM on a K fare (but not an SM on a "full" Y or B fare).

Now, it would appear that fares have been stratified into three groups instead of two, and that the "full" fare category has been broadened. Specifically, it looks like under the new system that "full" fare will include Y/B/M, then there will be a second tier of H/Q/K, then a bottom tier of L/U/T. So, in this new system, a PM on a T fare at the gate would fall under an SM on a K fare. If so, this represents a significant change. Am I reading this correctly? Will there now be three different priority categories rather than two? Please note, I am talking about the gate upgrade process for those who did not clear in advance.

• While it’s difficult to detail the process, I can assure you that we are more closely aligning the upgrade process with elite status and fare paid.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Today, 5:41 pm #298
Official SkyMiles Helper

Q&A - December 17th (Part II)
Here's the second set of questions/answers from Friday - too many to fit in one post

Medallion Benefits on Song

Will we ever get elite pre-boarding on Song? That is one of the most annoying things about Song, which other than that, I like very much (as I've said here on FlyerTalk).

Is Delta going to allow Medallion status to be recognized on Song? We want to know if we will ever receive whatever Medallion perks we currently receive from mainline on Song? This includes the honoring of the free Medallion drink coupons that some Song FA's have already refused to take.

The Song issue is a major one for NYC based Medallions. … I'll be dammed if I have to deal with their utter disregard for Medallions on a 5-6 hour flight. I have stuck it out through 2004 and made GM again, but this could be a deal breaker for me in 2005. AA, CO & B6 are excellent choices for anyone that lives in NYC and frequently travels to both Florida & California.

BTW, when they finally announce upgrades on CO & NW, many NYC based Medallions will fly CO to Florida with the hopes of being upgraded and still earn MQM's. It is in DL's interest to address this situation now. So Official SkyMiles Helper, what is the answer to our question?

• At this point in time, Song remains a separate product. We are aware that you enjoy your Medallion benefits and would like to see them provided on Song flights, and we will continue to evaluate the possibility of providing Medallion benefits on Song in the future.

No further questions will be answered with regards to Medallion benefits on Song, as they don’t specifically relate to the recent SkyMiles changes.

General

Are enhancements to the delta.com website planned that will potentially enable us to change the origin, destination, date, or time of a SkySaver award ticket for free? (now a $50 service charge)

• As a means to simplify, $50/ticket is applied to all award ticket redemptions 14 days or less in advance at all channels, including Delta.com.

What is your plan to bring back the members that you lost over the last two years?

• Our marketing efforts are confidential and cannot be disclosed. However, I can tell you that we plan to create an overall customer travel experience that is comfortable, affordable, simple, stylish and inviting.

Are there really not going to be priority baggage tags for PMs?

• Priority baggage is a SkyTeam elite benefit that Delta is able to deliver on international flights 6 or more hours in duration, so priority baggage tags will remain for PMs.

Is the *VIP Verizon Airfone benefit really going away?

• This was not part of the recent SkyMiles changes.

When the previous program changes were announced DL finally held a meeting with four FT'ers to discuss that terrible program after SaveSkyMiles was formed and a frequent flyer protest was organized. This is a new regime, and I am not saying that the new program is good or bad. However, after the dust settles, will DL become more proactive this time and hold a meeting with a small group of us to discuss the new program, receive feedback and constructive criticism?

• Delta receives feedback from its customers through a variety of channels. In addition, extensive customer research is conducted before and after any programmatic changes are made. In fact, before we announced the changes to the program for 2005, we held a number of focus groups with our Medallion members nationwide. Combining the due diligence we performed in making these decisions with the fact that there are many opinions available to us via FT and our traditional channels of customer feedback, we do not foresee holding any additional FlyerTalk-only meetings. However, we will continue to meet with various customers on a regular basis to gather feedback and thank them/you for their business.

Although this doesn't relate to the recent SkyMiles change it does relate to a more recent feature of Delta travel so I am hoping that you can clarify something which probably doesn't affect many but is a source of confusion and uncertainty to some of us. I have generally believed that wholly domestic segments of an international itinerary are eligible for Same Day Confirmed, indeed I have used the facility in the past. By "wholly domestic" I mean a segment that is isolated from any international segments by a stopover - i.e. it isn't itself an international flight and it isn't a connection to an international flight. The web site says: "The Same-day Confirmed Program is not currently available for flights connecting to or from cities outside the applicable areas of travel. " That suggests that flights that are "wholly domestic" and isolated by stopovers should be fine.Two of my colleagues have recently been told that if the domestic flights are on the same fare basis as the international segments then they should not be allowed Same Day Confirmed and that SDC is only available on the wholly domestic flights of such an itinerary if the fare is broken. That isn't my experience, nor is it intuitive, nor is it what the web site says. Could you find out what is actually intended and ask if somebody could clarify the public description of the T&Cs accordingly?

• Same day stand by does apply to all domestic segments for Gold and Platinum Medallions. For example, if your itinerary was ATL-JFK-CDG, with a stopover in JFK for 2 days, you would be able to stand by on the ATL-JFK segment.

In addition, for our Platinum members who significantly exceed 75,000 MQM each year, we plan to offer individualized, special additional incentives to reward their continued loyalty to Delta. Quote from OSH’s answers - Would you please give us an idea of what these special additional incentives might be?

• Again, I wish I could but our marketing efforts are confidential and cannot be disclosed.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Today, 2:51 pm #317
Official SkyMiles Helper

Q&A - December 20th
Good Afternoon:

Below are responses to Monday's questions.

We will continue to provide Q&A through Thursday 12-23 and then will be off through the Christmas holiday. We'll return on Monday 12-27 and will pick up where we left off on Thursday.

Thanks!
Official SkyMiles Helper

Medallion Earnings

Will the Threshold Options for 2005 (miles accrued in 2004) still be available? Will Threshold Options be offered for 2006 (for miles accrued in 2005)?

• Rewards for the 2004 Threshold Program will be awarded in early 2005, but qualification threshold benefits will no longer be offered after that time.

Award Ticket Fees

Does the $50 change fee apply to waitlisted SkySaver tickets (i.e. I book one flight and waitlist onto a different flight at the same time -- am I assessed a charge if the waitlist clears)?

• No, the $50 change fee does not apply to waitlisted SkySaver tickets unless a change is made to the origin and destination. If origin and/or destination change, a $50 fee would apply.

Upgrades

So in 2005, will a Platinum Medallion on a T fare at gate standby for an upgrade clear before a Silver Medallion on a Y fare?

• See Q&A post from December 17th

Finally, I've been told by Delta numerous times that all fares below Y/B are considered the same from an upgrade priority standpoint and that elite status and time of upgrade request are then factors. Now you are saying that a higher fare like L will have priority before a T fare. Is this really going to be true? The system does not currently work this way

• See Q&A post from December 17th

Will companion upgrades for a Medallion Members still not be permitted on L, U, and T class fares as of 1/1/05? Are there any changes to the Companion Upgrade policy planned

Any planned change for the Companion Upgrade possibility. I have not seen anything about this feature. As has been discussed through the year, this is a benefit that has turned out to be of minimal value at best due to the fact that the upgrade window follows the companion's status. Since for all practical purposes, this means majority, if not all companions are general members, there will only rarely be seats left to upgrade into when all the other priorities have been satisfied. Why not let the companion upgrade within the primary Medallion’s window as that really IMHO is the only way this feature adds any benefit to Medallion members.

• There are no changes to the Companion Upgrade program for 2005, however this is a policy that will be looked at closely in 2005. Here’s a brief description of the program.

The companion upgrade confirmation window is based on the status of your companion and how your reservation was made. If you and your traveling companion have different reservation records with the same fare class, you will be cleared based upon when the upgrade was requested for each passenger and according to your individual member status. For example, if a Platinum Medallion member with an M class fare is traveling with a General Member with a K class fare, the Platinum Medallion member will confirm at the time of purchase, while the General Member will confirm 12 hours prior to departure.

If you and your traveling companion have the same reservation record, however, your upgrades will both be cleared based on the lower membership status. For example, if a Platinum Medallion member and General Member are both traveling with a K class fare, both the Platinum Medallion member and the General Member will confirm 12 hours prior to departure.

As the SkyMiles program continues to evolve, we will continue to evaluate all aspects of the program to ensure we make the overall Delta experience more inviting for customers.

For more information on the companion program, please see the link below.
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...x.jsp#companion

So just to clarify, my understanding is this: there is currently NO way to confirm a domestic upgrade at the time of booking on any fare class below M; coach tickets in M+ can be confirmed at the time of booking by Medallion for free, or with a mileage award by anyone. Is my understanding correct?

• You are correct. Medallions may use their complimentary upgrades at time of booking for YBM when available. There is no change to the mileage upgrade program, which is open to all SkyMiles members.

Additionally, do free Medallion confirmed upgrades for M+ come out of the same inventory as the mileage upgrade awards? In other words, is it possible that a mileage upgrade will be available but a confirmed Medallion upgrade will not, or vice-versa?

• Available upgrade inventory varies depending on market and the plane you are flying on.

General

Is DAL doing away with all priority baggage handling, except on international flights of certain duration? Does this apply to either or both Platinum Medallions and folks flying in FC? The footnote in the new program seems to indicate that, but in a more backhanded than direct way. And, if so, why?

• Unfortunately, we are not able to consistently fulfill this benefit. As a SkyTeam elite benefit however, Platinum Medallions will continue to enjoy priority baggage handling on international flights of 6 hours or more in duration.

What about the PM Exception? Does it still exist? If not, when does it cease - Dec. 1 2004, Jan. 1, 2005, or some other date. If the date hasn't past yet, can travel be booked to 331 days out with it? Is this a once a year or once in a lifetime exception? How long has it existed? Why the secrets on this benefit?

• This was a targeted, limited-time promotion and is not part of the recent SkyMiles program changes. We are continually evaluating opportunities to meet the needs of our premium customers.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Today, 2:32 pm #330
Official SkyMiles Helper

Q&A - December 21st
Good Afternoon,

Below are responses to yesterday’s questions. As a reminder, in order to respond in a timely fashion, we’ll only be answering those questions directly related to the recent SkyMiles changes and cannot speculate on future marketing initiatives.

Thanks,
OSH

_______
Award Travel Questions

OSH, previously you addressed the concerns of short-haul flyers who are trying to achieve PM status. You pointed out that the reduction of the number of MQM needed to reach Platinum Medallion and the elimination of the .5 multiplier on the extremely discounted fares, were specifically done to address that issue. There are a great deal of short-haul flyers who shoot for Silver or Gold each year (I offered my own travel patterns as an example in a previous post). Since the MQM levels for Silver and Gold haven't been similarly reduced, the effective ‘cost’ of Silver and Gold (for short-haul flyers) has gone up dramatically for 2005. Am I missing something here? Has something changed in the program that addresses this apparent discrepancy?

• We believe that raising the MQM multiplier on LUT fares should help offset the reduction in MQM minimum. We also recognize that certain Medallion members may be affected differently by the changes. We are monitoring these groups and will address those populations throughout next year.

Upgrade Questions

You made mention in a previous post that the upgrades would be processed at about midnight when someone asked how the term "calendar days" was being interpreted by DL. In the past the term "day" in relation to upgrades was based on the departure time & time zone of the flight in question. So if I had a 9 AM departure on a flight in NYC, the "day" reference for your upgrade window was determined by your Medallion status and based on that 9 AM time. Is this a change in the upgrade policy and 24 hours is not really 24 hours on the upgrade clock?

• Good question. The easiest way to understand calendar days is that it will be 1,3 or 5 days in between the window opening and your flight departing. Meaning, if you’re a PM and your flight leaves on Saturday (regardless of time – 6am or 6pm), your upgrade should clear shortly after midnight on Monday.

OSH, please clarify exactly how upgrades will be handled at the gate if we have not cleared in advance. I totally understand that a Platinum Medallion in an H, Q, K class would clear before a Gold Medallion in H,Q, K in advance. However, are there now three buckets of fares that are used to determine upgrades at the gate? YBM, HQK & LUT? So if I am a Gold Medallion on a B fare and check-in before a Gold Medallion on a Y fare, will I trump the Gold Medallion on the Y fare, or will the computer pick the Y over the B fare if we have the same Medallion status during the gate upgrade process? Basically what I am trying to understand is whether YBMs, HQKs & LUTs are three distinct buckets, and that the fares within each of these three buckets are considered equal for determining upgrades at the gate? Or is the computer going to consider each fare class on it's own, and a Y will trump a B, etc.

• For gate processing, all YBM upgrades will be processed first. The three remaining categories will be PM, GM & FO and the classes of service within each are considered equal.

General Questions

For several years I have been promised "additional" benefits for being a "big time" Delta flier. More specifically since the end of SWUs I was assured both in public (through pronouncements such as yours) and in private (if you don't know who I am, there are people in your department who know who I am) that there would be additional SWUs/PMUs whatever. Now to date I have received some nice things, but to my knowledge there has never yet been an implementation of further upgrades for either high mileage Plats, or for real bennies for those who live outside the United States (for whom all the domestic stuff is worthless). If you won't state what these benefits will be, could you at least state when they would kick in? If you do not care to do so publicly, I can be reached at [email protected].

I wish I could provide more detail, but I can’t at this time. However, we are in the process of evaluating benefits to keep members engaged beyond the 75k threshold. You’ll be hearing more about this next year.

Is there going to be priority baggage handling for Biz Elite passengers who are not PM? Will there be any priority baggage handling at all for domestic FC?

• Priority baggage handling will be offered for Platinum Medallions, SkyTeam Elite Plus and Business Elite customers. This does not include domestic first class.

Let's assume a PM is flying MXP-ATL-FLL, will he have priority baggage handling on the ATL-FLL segment or is it only to the gateway city?

• Priority baggage handling will only apply to flights 6 or more hours in duration (i.e. Europe, Asia, and most Latin America flights). In the example above, this would apply to only ATL as the gateway city.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Today, 2:38 pm #331
Official SkyMiles Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
OSH, I would like to clarify one thing for you regarding this forum so as to avoid any confusion on your end. There are four moderators on the DL board of FT. They are Canarsie, gleff, obscure2k and myself. Unless we identify ourselves as acting in our official moderator capacity by stating as such in a post, we are writing as private members of FT and also customers of your airline.

Rssrsvp - Moderator

Thanks. It took me a day or two, but I figured it out
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:56 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Q&A - December 22nd

Milepost #340 from the fifteenth milepost of Official SkyMiles Helper:

Hi Everyone,

Below are our responses from yesterday's questions. This will be our last Q&A before the holiday and want to extend our wishes for a safe and happy holiday. One minor change to our schedule...we will be returning to answer questions on Tuesday December 28th. This is a change from our initial schedule of Monday December 27th.

Thanks again and happy holidays.
Official SkyMiles Helper

UPGRADE QUESTIONS
… would you share with us exactly what the algorithm for gate upgrade processing will be? And, as Rssrsvp notes, the question is whether each fare bucket is considered individually, or are they organized into groups of buckets where all individual buckets in the group are considered equal?
  • As you all know, the current upgrade process is complicated, and we’ll be making several changes over the next year to make it more seamless, including the airport stand by list. For gate processing, all YBM upgrades will be processed first and based on timestamp, independent of tier. The three remaining categories will be PM, GM & FO and, within each tier for non-YBM purchases, they will be sorted by class of service
MILEAGE QUESTIONS
I've been reading FT discussions without posting for a long time, but today I have a question that I think hasn't been asked by anyone in this thread. I am wondering about actual miles, not MQMs. The Helper wrote this in an earlier thread: >>Class of Service Fare Class Medallion Qualification Miles & Award Miles Earned Example of Medallion Qualification Miles & Award Miles Earned. First, BusinessElite, Business and Full-fare Economy P, F, A, J, D, C, I, Y, B, M 150% of flown miles.<<On YBM? Isn't this a huge change? I assume award miles means actual miles, i.e. MUC-ATL in M 4801*1.5=7,201 miles? If so, what happens to the Gold/Plat mileage bonus? On top? I.e., 14,402 miles total? Please clarify.
  • When flying on a Y, B or M fare, customers will receive 150% of mileage flown towards qualification and award travel alike. This is new, as members previously received 100% of flown miles
  • Award miles does equate to actual miles, meaning these are the miles that may be redeemed for award travel.
  • There is no change to the current Medallion mileage bonus. For instance, in the example above (GM flying MUC-ATL in M class), you would earn 7201 miles toward elite qualification (4800 x 1.5) and 7201 (4800 x 1.5) toward award travel. Assuming you’re a Medallion, you would receive your respective Elite Tier bonus as well, which is calculated off the base miles. A GM or PM in this example would earn an additional 4,801 miles towards award travel.
May I follow up on the last question? It appears that class of service bonus and MQM "bonus" are identical; i.e., 1.0 for fares T through H and 1.5 for M through F. If so, why do we even need to retain MQMs anymore?
  • Correct, class of service and MQM bonus are the same thing. We continue to use the MQM system because you can earn miles for award travel through various other means (AMEX, Hilton, Elite Tier Bonus, etc). Those miles need to be in a different bucket because they are solely for award travel.
FEE QUESTIONS
ODH, glad to see Delta on the FlyerTalk board as I have worked in the past with Delta corporate customer care. I'm a Platinum Medallion with 150k MQM's this year (mostly international) and one of AirTran's most frequent flyers. I view the changes overall as a positive. Yet I'm very upset at one SkyMiles change near and dear to my heart: flexibility for award tickets. Delta really missed one big point when making these changes. Platinum Medallions like to be treated as an exception. If I give tremendous amounts of money to an airline, then the one time that I need help as a Delta customer is when I'm traveling personally. Adding $50 change fees on changing frequent flyer tickets hits Delta business customers where it hurts most: their pockets. While posting $50 change fees on their rules, AirTran absolutely will make exceptions for its Elite members. When they do, they make it clear that they're an airline that cares. My three questions are:
  • We are continually working to improve award seat availability, even though our record is one of the best in the industry. This announcement is just the beginning of our long-term plan to simplify our program and make it more relevant for members.
- Why did Delta elect not to waive the SkyMiles award change fee for their most loyal customers?
  • Customers and employees told us the old award ticket fee structure was confusing, so we’ve significantly simplified the new fee structure. Now the fees are uniform for General and Medallion members and in many cases the new award price is lower than the previous Medallion rate.

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 29, 2004 at 2:52 pm Reason: Formatted for clarity and easier access to information. I hope Official SkyMiles Helper does not mind...
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Tuesday December 28 update

Today, 2:01 pm #346
Official SkyMiles Helper

Good Afternoon,

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. Below are answers to questions received from Thursday December 23rd through Monday December 27th. As a reminder, we'll continue providing Q&A daily through Thursday December 30th and then will return on Monday January 3rd.

Thanks!
OSH

_________

So far, no mention has been made regarding any (possible) changes as it may effect/pertain to the old program's (Delta Frequent Flyer) mileage redemption opportunities. I hope there are none!

• The recent SkyMiles changes did not impact the old Frequent Flyer program.

Now, I'm even more confused regarding gate lottery. Did OSH just say that an FO on YBM with a purchase date before a PM on Y would get the upgrade before the PM?

Also, for non YBM, OSH is now saying that they will sort based on "class of service." So a PMH will be ahead of a PMT. This is not what he said before. As I have Y fares for next year that still haven't cleared, I am even more confused. I guess I will have to wait for the gate lottery and have the FOs that bought M tickets prior to my purchase of a Y ticket take the FC seats while I schlep to the back.

OfficialSkyMilesHelper, you've made contradictory statements here regarding aspects of the upgrade process. Please clarify, if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official SkyMiles Helper

Upgrade Questions

… would you share with us exactly what the algorithm for gate upgrade processing will be? And, as Rssrsvp notes, the question is whether each fare bucket is considered individually, or are they organized into groups of buckets where all individual buckets in the group are considered equal?

• As you all know, the current upgrade process is complicated, and we’ll be making several changes over the next year to make it more seamless, including the airport stand by list. For gate processing, all YBM upgrades will be processed first and based on timestamp, independent of tier. The three remaining categories will be PM, GM & FO and, within each tier for non-YBM purchases, they will be sorted by class of service

While earlier...
Quote:

Upgrade Questions

OSH, please clarify exactly how upgrades will be handled at the gate if we have not cleared in advance. I totally understand that a Platinum Medallion in an H, Q, K class would clear before a Gold Medallion in H,Q, K in advance. However, are there now three buckets of fares that are used to determine upgrades at the gate? YBM, HQK & LUT? So if I am a Gold Medallion on a B fare and check-in before a Gold Medallion on a Y fare, will I trump the Gold Medallion on the Y fare, or will the computer pick the Y over the B fare if we have the same Medallion status during the gate upgrade process? Basically what I am trying to understand is whether YBMs, HQKs & LUTs are three distinct buckets, and that the fares within each of these three buckets are considered equal for determining upgrades at the gate? Or is the computer going to consider each fare class on it's own, and a Y will trump a B, etc.

• For gate processing, all YBM upgrades will be processed first. The three remaining categories will be PM, GM & FO and the classes of service within each are considered equal.

And earlier still...
Quote:

I've got another upgrade question regarding the confirmed upgrade for Medallion at time of booking for Y/B/M -- will that only happen if I book a flight for 2005 after 1/1/05 or can I book now for a flight in 2005 to get the upgrade confirmed now? How can I see if an upgrade can be confirmed? Will it show up automatically on the website as "available" or some such instead of "request only"?

• The new hierarchy will take place after midnight (EST) on 1/1/05, therefore any flights booked in YBM after that may be upgraded if space is available. If your flight was booked in YBM prior to 1/1/05, it will be cleared in order based on time of booking. For example, if a Gold Medallion booked in M on 12/26/04 and a Gold Medallion who booked M on 12/27/04, the Medallion booking on 12/26/04 would clear first based on time of booking.

• We apologize for the confusion regarding gate processing. As you may know, we’ve had some challenges in making this a consistent & seamless process and are currently working to address this issue. My last post was correct in that all YBM upgrades will be processed first and based on timestamp, independent of tier. For example, a GM booking in M today would clear before a PM booking in Y tomorrow. The three remaining categories will be PM, GM & FO and, within each tier for non-YBM purchases (H-T), they will be sorted by class of service. So, a PM in H would clear before a PM in T, regardless of time stamp. As a reminder, all Y fares purchased prior to January 1st will begin being cleared on January 1, 2005.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 2:47 pm

Q&A - December 29th

Milepost #351 from the seventeenth milepost of Official SkyMiles Helper:

Hi Everyone,

Here's the lone Q&A from yesterday.

Thanks!
OSH

I know that this question has been addressed, but I'm getting conflicting information from a Delta Agent at the international awards desk:

Apparently, if you have an award ticket with some flights waitlisted, the waitlist cannot be held if you ticket over the phone (but you can be put back on the waitlist). If you ticket at a ticket office / airport, you can continue to hold your waitlists (however, through 12/31, there is a $75 per ticket fee to ticket at the airport - by reservation is on hold to 12/31). Two questions:

If I ticket at the airport and never leave the waitlist, does the $50 fee apply if/when the waitlist clears?

If I ticket over the phone, lose my waitlist, and then get back on the waitlist, do I get charged the $50 fee if/when the waitlist clears? (Phone agent said 'yes', which I believe is inconsistent with the information you've provided), but admitted that there is confusion as to when the fee does / does not apply.
  • The $50 change fee would not apply to either situation, assuming these are SkySaver tickets and there is no change to the origin and destination. If origin and/or destination change, a $50 fee would apply. We have also forwarded your comments to our frontline leadership to ensure we are delivering a consistent message. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 30, 2004 at 12:36 pm
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:35 pm

Q&A - December 30th

Milepost #353 from the eighteenth milepost of Official SkyMiles Helper:

Good Afternoon,

Please see the Q&A below from yesterday. As a reminder, this will be our last post this week. We'll be back on Monday January 3rd to answer questions from over the holiday weekend.

We hope you all have a safe and wonderful New Year.

Official SkyMiles Helper

OSH, one of the biggest gripes that many of us have with both the old or new FF program is the lack of SkySaver award inventory that is being made available to us. It is disgraceful to be offered a 2 or 3 flight itinerary to fly LGA-FLL/PBI on a SkySaver award (and that's if we are lucky to find a SkySaver award). The Song non-stops are rarely offered as SkySavers, as the majority of the time they appear as a SkyChoice award. Only DL knows what the outstanding mileage figure is that we all have banked in our SkyMiles accounts. The number must be staggering to say the very least. I understand that a test with no capacity controls on any award was held by DL a few months back for a two week period. By this time, I am confident that you know the results.

When will DL do the "right thing", open up more award inventory and let us redeem our miles without the SkyChoice surcharge?
  • We understand this is a concern and are continually working to improve award seat availability, even though our record is one of the best in the industry. This announcement is just the beginning of our long-term plan to simplify our program and make it more relevant for members.
Originally the MQM system was implemented to reward high-paying travelers, the more you paid for a ticket, the higher the MQM multiplier, pax and Delta were happy. While I fully understand the reasons for making no MQM distinction between MBY and discounted First (A) or BC (I) fares, I fail to see the reason to put full fare F and J fares into the same multiplier as the discounted F/C fares / full MBY fares. With a difference in pricing of $5,000 - $7,000 for an International itinerary confirmed in BC depending on whether it is in I (approx. $2,500) or in J (approx. $8,000) I am at a loss as to why Delta would not at a minimum keep the x2 MQM multiplier for the significantly higher revenue tickets. For those of us who have access to both these buckets (I/J), I would think that whatever Delta can do to push us towards the J fare should be done whereas now with the reduction in MQM's from the full fare, it pushes us more towards spending that day or two extra in Europe and go for the I-fare. What possible benefit to Delta is retreating from rewarding their very highest fare payers by reducing the MQM's obtainable in 2005 compared to 2004?
  • High-revenue customers are still very important to us, but trends in the last two years have shifted toward lower fares. Also, customers and employees told us the old MQM multiplier was confusing, so we’ve simplified the system. Moving forward, we will continue to provide richer benefits to high-revenue customers while making our program more attainable for customers who purchase lower fares. Our total value offering will continue to improve once we roll out more elements of our transformation plan.
When the high-mileage PM's, like myself, have whined bitterly over the new changes seemingly bringing nothing new or additionally to us, but instead potentially taking quite a bit more of these benefits away, we are told there will be "targeted benefits offered to our very high-mileage customers". Having flown often, far and high most of 2004, I have yet to receive a single targeted benefit for my efforts over 150K MQM's. Thus this statement means nothing to me unless it can be specified, either here or in a PM, exactly what we can expect as such targeted benefits, as it could encompass anything from a "thank you card" (and thank you for your good wishes in the Christmas Card you sent me this year!!!) to meaningful certificates or exemptions. I recommend this be communicated to us soon as otherwise some of us will start to diversify by keeping our minimum 75K on Delta to maintain PM and the rest (100K+) to build top-tier level on another airline as there appears nothing lost doing that and thus with this all of a sudden being much more attractive to the detriment of Delta.
  • Again, I wish I could provide specific details but our marketing efforts are confidential and cannot be disclosed. We do, however, plan to review members' accounts in early 2005 and may offer select members benefits or promotions based on previous flight activity.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 3:15 pm

Q&A - Monday, January 3

Milepost #365 from the nineteenth milepost of Official SkyMiles Helper:

Good Afernoon,

Below find our answers to questions submitted before the new year holiday. I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season.

Best regards,
OSH

• There are no changes to PMUs for Platinum Medallions. They continue to be valid for travel on most Delta flights worldwide. For travel within or between the 50 United States, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean, and Mexico, upgrades are valid on any published fare booked in Y, B, M, H, Q, or K class. For all other international travel, upgrades are valid on any published fare in Y, B, or M class.
Will 75 segments qualify next year for platinum also will Silvers and Golds ever get upgrade coupons to Europe and Asia every 20k like before?
  • Platinum Medallion qualification for 2006 will be based on 75,000 MQMs (Medallion Qualification Miles) earned between January 1 – December 31, 2005.
  • There are no current plans to implement system-wide upgrades based on flight activity, however, we plan to offer individualized, special additional incentives to reward Medallions for their continued loyalty to Delta.
Can you stand by on award tickets on a different day with no fee?
  • No, however, if an earlier or later Delta flight has seats available you may be confirmed for a $50 fee.
...My last post was correct in that all YBM upgrades will be processed first and based on timestamp, independent of tier. For example, a GM booking in M today would clear before a PM booking in Y tomorrow. ....

I think this is a terrible policy. Why would Delta clear an FO on a M fare before a PM on a Y fare? Can you explain Delta's thinking of not doing this? I would suggest you consider putting the Medallion tier before timestamp. All other airlines I know of do this.
  • We reviewed every aspect of the SkyMiles program and spent months reviewing extensive customer and employee feedback, including customer and employee focus groups. As a result, we felt it was important to provide all Medallion members purchasing higher fares with the ability to upgrade at the time of booking.
The application for the Platinum Amex SKyMiles card no longer mentions the 10,000 miles awarded every year if you charge over $25,000 let alone indicate that these are MQM. Has this benefit actually been lost? My renewal date is in April. As I renewed my card last April because of this benefit, will I receive the 10000 MQM this one last time? Does this only apply to new applications now and renewals after our next renewal date? Comparing 2004 to 2005, the PM qualification level dropped from 100K to 75K. HOWEVER, losing the carryover (15K last year), the Amex 10K, AND decreasing the 750 minimum back to 500 seems to make it a lot harder for us southeast short haul flyers to make PM in the future. Was this the intention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq
OSH:

The application for the Platinum Amex Skymiles card no longer mentions the 10,000 miles awarded every year if you charge over $25,000 let alone indicate that these are MQM. Has this benefit actually been lost? My renewal date is in April. As I renewed my card last April because of this benefit, will I receive the 10000 MQM this one last time? Does this only apply to new applications now and renewals after our next renewal date?

Comparing 2004 to 2005, the PM qualification level dropped from 100K to 75K. HOWEVER, losing the carryover (15K last year), the Amex 10K, AND decreasing the 750 minimum back to 500 seems to make it a lot harder for us southeast short haul flyers to make PM in the future. Was this the intention?

Marc

I second these questions.....I would like to hear what OSH has to say re the Plat Amex card 10,000 mqm annual credit ....I think this is a 2005 Delta issue, not just an Amex issue......Note in link below how it says 10000 SKYMILES, NOT MQM.......http://www66.americanexpress.com/ca...02090716192/0/n. I also agree that the new program has made it more difficult for the short haul flyers to regain Plat status for 2006-7....echoing Marq....Was this the intention?
  • American Express
    • There have been no changes to the American Express SkyMiles program so you should continue to receive the same benefits as 2004. We have passed this information along to the appropriate parties to ensure we are providing consistent information to our customers.
  • PM Status for Short Haul Flyers
    • We recognize that each Medallion member may be affected differently by the changes and are aware that there is a small but very important population of Medallions who may not benefit from the changes. We are monitoring these groups and will address this situation throughout next year.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 3, 2005 at 5:04 pm
Old Jan 12, 2005, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wednesday January 12th update

Today, 5:21 pm #374
Official SkyMiles Helper

Hi Everyone,

We’ll continue to answer questions for the next week or two; however, replies will be posted every couple of days since the frequency of questions has settled down. Also, we’ve heard you loud and clear about having a permanent representative on the Delta boards, and we’re looking into the possibility. Stay tuned.

I understand that being a Gold Medallion member will earn 100% bonus miles. Will this also apply NW/CO flight (not DL coded)? or any other partner airlines flights? Please advise. Thanks.

• As a Gold Medallion, you will earn a 100% elite-tier bonus on all SkyTeam marketed and operated flights. For all other partner airlines, you will earn a bonus on the Delta marketed flights only.
OSH, my question is a SkyMiles service question, and I would appreciate a logical explanation.

When I have a SkyMiles program problem, I call SMS and they usually put me on hold to contact the SkyMiles Service Center for a response. AA lets you speak to the AAdvantage desk, NW lets to speak to the WorldPerks desk, why doesn't DL do the same and let the specialist handle the problem?
Isn't it a terrible waste of manpower to have two people involved in a transaction that should only require one? One would logically assume that there could be a huge cost savings involved if less manpower is needed for these inquiries. Many times the SMS agent doesn't even comprehend the nature & the complexity of the question and I have been put on hold several times while they repeat the same question over and over again without getting to the point. I would like to speak to the horse's mouth, not the tail. What is being done, if anything to correct this shortcoming at the SkyMiles department?

• The Special Member Services program is designed to work with our premium customers directly. Depending on the complexity of the questions and agent experience, however, they may seek assistance to resolve an issue. We agree that as a premium customer, you deserve specialized service on the SMS line and although it's our understanding that these situations are exceptions, we have directed your comments to the appropriate parties to ensure we are providing consistent excellent service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.