Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

A question about switching seats between BF an Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2004, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler

So, I am flying from EWR-ZIH (Ixtapa, Mexico) with a connection in IAH on 12/25. I am going with my girlfriend and her family, they are paying for the whole trip. The tickets are full fare H, so I had a feeling I was going to get upgraded having just made Platinum. Needless to say, last night I got my upgrade email for both legs of the outbound trip.

I am obviously not going to sit in the front if the bus when my girlfriends parents are paying for the trip, so my question is this: Can I give my boarding pass to one of her parents when we get one the plane and just switch seats? I dont want to do it at the gate because I am sure I can't officially switch it and I don't want to lose the upgrade. Also, If I put in for a companion upgrade and get it, can I get both of her parents in BF while I sit in Y? I know this is pseudo sneaky, but I dont really care.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 8:35 am

Programs: United 1K
Yes. Once you've boarded the plane you can give your seats to your family including a companion upgrade if it clears.. I've done this before when I was married and I've also given my BF upgrade to a friend who had never flown in BF. The family will love you for it.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 8:57 am

Are you sure its BF and not F? Upgrade on a ERJ?

You can give your seat to whoever but you may let the FA know what your doing as a courtesy. Hope your companion upgrade clears.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 8:58 am

BF to Mexico?
Old Dec 22, 2004, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
BF to Mexico?

I am sorry, here is the deal:

We are flying from LGA-IAH on a 738 and then IAH-ZIH on a 735. I got my upgrade notification for both flights yesterday. This is on 12/25.

No RJ on any of the outbound flights.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:37 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
This is simply domestic F. As long as there is no seat conflict and there is a name for that seat, the FAs don't care. If they call you by the name on the boarding pass, just say we swapped seats.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
I am sorry, here is the deal:
The deal is that there is no BF to Mexico. Period.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:56 am

I was ug'd on MCO-CLE and CLE-PHL last week. I let my 21 yr-old daughter sit upfront on the first leg and my 16 yr-old on the second, while my wife, 12 yr-old son and I sat in back. I just switched boarding passes with them on the jetway, although I like BigBoofer's suggestion of letting the FA know as a courtesy. Good luck.

Last edited by johnky; Dec 22, 2004 at 11:02 am Reason: grammar
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:58 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Unless you are using a US airport that asks for photo id when boarding the aircraft, you can just give your boarding pass to her parents, and if you get a companion upgrade either at the gate or prior, do the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.