Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive “How To Earn Delta Air Lines SkyMiles” Thread

Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:38 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

There have been many threads devoted to earning Delta Air Lines SkyMiles either to:
  • Top off a Delta Air Lines SkyMiles account for an award, or
  • Keep a Delta Air Lines SkyMiles account active to prevent the account from being closed, thereby forfeiting all of the points that were in the account.
This thread is devoted to offering all of the different ways to earn Delta Air Lines SkyMiles, including limited-time-only special offers. This way, all of the other threads pertaining to this topic — especially future ones that will not have to be launched — will not be necessary.

Much of what is posted here can be found at the official Delta Air Lines SkyMiles Internet web site, where more details can be found about each offer.

Any assistance from fellow Delta Air Lines SkyMiles FlyerTalk members would be greatly appreciated.

I will update this first post as necessary to keep the information in this thread up to date.

Note: Underlined topics are links to pertinent Internet web sites.

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 29, 2004 at 2:38 pm
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Links To Other Mileposts In This Thread

LIMITED TIME OFFERSAIRLINE PARTNERSMileage will be credited under the following terms:
  • Class-of-service bonuses are awarded based on the fare purchased.
    Exception: Flights not offering Business or First Class service earn coach credit.
  • Valid and/or invalid classes are subject to change without prior notice.
  • Delta/Delta Connection: Mileage credit is applicable only when ticket reflects a DL-designated flight number.
Mileage credit will not be given for the following:
  • Refunded, forfeited and unused tickets, including nonrefundable tickets.
  • Airline employees, travel agents, tour conductors, and/or other persons traveling on a non-revenue basis or travel industry/cargo customer discount fares.
  • Certain fares, including, but not limited to Priceline fares.
  • Free tickets of any kind (e.g., tickets awarded in this program, tickets received in exchange for a Delta transportation voucher).
  • Tickets purchased to carry excess baggage such as musical instruments or to provide extra space for the primary passenger.
  • Delta Charter flights.
  • Bookings made through some Internet sites as described at those sites.
HOTEL & TIMESHARE PARTNERS and
LIMITED TIME OFFERSCAR RENTALS and LIMITED TIME OFFERSTRANSFER OPPORTUNITIES
    RETAIL & OTHER PARTNERS and LIMITED TIME OFFERS
      CREDIT CARDSFINANCE & REAL ESTATEPURCHASE DELTA AIR LINES SKY MILES

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 21, 2010 at 11:30 pm
      Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:39 pm
      Original Poster

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Pertaining To The Earning Of SkyMiles

This milepost is reserved for frequently-asked questions about earning Delta Air Lines SkyMiles.

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 29, 2004 at 1:56 pm
      Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:42 pm
      Original Poster

This is a millpost, which is not to be confused with a milepost...

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 29, 2004 at 1:43 pm
      Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:15 am

Great idea! Should be a "Sticky"
      Old Jun 14, 2004, 6:56 am
      In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
      Excellent idea, Canarsie....and thanks for all the hard work it took to create this! And for the work yet to come in maintaining and updating it. The information contained above is the primary purpose of FlyerTalk and I'm sure many of us will find this a very useful glossary.
      And I too agree and recommend this should be a "sticky" as it answers many of the questions that folks come to this forum to research.
      Old Jun 14, 2004, 7:01 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
      All I can say Canarsie is WOW . Thanks for all that work. ^ ^
      Old Jun 14, 2004, 7:12 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
      "diamond?"

Thankyou!

I have one question.....what is a "Diamond" VIP? I seem to have missed this one....
      Old Jun 14, 2004, 7:28 am
      In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
      Originally Posted by dedehans
      Thankyou!

I have one question.....what is a "Diamond" VIP? I seem to have missed this one....

In addition to his Herculean effort on this thread, Canarsie also launched a similar thread in the Hilton Forum. The "Diamond VIP" reference was probably a remnant from that thread which will soon be corrected here.
      Old Jun 14, 2004, 7:34 am
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
      Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
      I hope I speak for many other flyers with this REQUEST. Though we all thank you deeply for this posting, the real value will be lost if we fill it with response of thank yous, attaboys, editorials, etc.

Can we keep this just for postings in keeping with the original poster?

Thanks to everyone.
      Old Jun 14, 2004, 8:45 am
      Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
      I hope I speak for many other flyers with this REQUEST. Though we all thank you deeply for this posting, the real value will be lost if we fill it with response of thank yous, attaboys, editorials, etc.

Can we keep this just for postings in keeping with the original poster?
      Not only do I agree with NoStressHere, I would also like to add that — unless the information is pertinent enough to be posted here — if there are any errors, corrections, thank-yous, etc. that fellow FlyerTalk members either send a private message to me instead or, if the comments should be made public, post comments to this thread.

While I truly appreciate the accolades, that is not the reason I launched this thread. I launched this thread to help reduce the amount of ancillary “How do I save my SkyMiles account from expiring?” and “What is the cheapest way to earn Delta SkyMiles?” threads, as well as to make it easy to have this information at a glance, although much of it is available at the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles Internet web site.

Posts containing obscure (not the esteemed moderator, of course) offers and innovative ways of earning Delta Air Lines SkyMiles would especially be appreciated.

If this thread eventually gets too long, that will not be a problem. I will simply post links to individual posts in one of the first three posts in this thread for easy access.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jun 16, 2004 at 7:48 pm Reason: To add a link to the thread launched by obscure2k.
      Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:03 am
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
      At the suggestion of several board members I believe that this thread deserves to become the DL board's first sticky thread. Canarsie, thanks for all of your hard work that we will benefit from.

Rssrsvp - Moderator
      Old Jun 16, 2004, 6:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
      More ways to earn miles

I followed this link: http://www.smarterliving.com/ff/ and found a "few" more offers. I'm actually taking advantage of the e-loan offer which I did not see anywhere else.

Hope this helps.

Amir
      Old Jun 16, 2004, 6:17 pm
      Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Opening a new thread to reply to Canarsie's "Definitive Thread"

Canarsie has done the FT DL Board a great service by posting the first thread which Moderators have deemed sticker-worthy.
      I am going to start a new thread in which FT'rs can submit their comments.
      Regards to all.
      Obscure2k
      Old Jun 22, 2004, 11:23 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
      Any chance we could have a companion "How to Earn/Maximize Delta MQMs" thread?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.