Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Compensation for Comair debacle--Delta's response

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

This merits a thread of its own, methinks, as we try to get Delta to step up with reasonable compensation for the Comair debacle.

I sent an email to DL customer service, and in three or four sentences asked for compensation for my out-of-pocket expenses relating to having to extend my stay.

Delta's response: shameful. See below. I emailed a reply thanking DL for the response, and indicating that I bought my ticket from DL and expect DL to provide the requested compensation.

Any suggestions on what to do from here?

Dear [Mikey likes it],

Thank you for your e-mail to Delta Air Lines.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced and
appreciate hearing from you. Comair is one of our Delta Connection
partners, and is also a wholly owned subsidiary of Delta. Comair,
however, operates as a separate company. Since the circumstances you
are requesting compensation for involve Comair's operations, please
direct your request for compensation to:

Customer Relations
Comair Inc.
77 Comair Blvd.
Erlanger, KY 41018

Please accept our apology for the unfavorable impression you received
in this instance. We very much appreciate your Medallion loyalty to
Delta and will always welcome the opportunity to serve you.

Sincerely,

Last edited by Mikey likes it; Dec 27, 2004 at 2:07 pm Reason: to call it a "debacle" instead of a "disaster." Bad connotation.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Legally they are probably correct. However from a customer's viewpoint this is terrible. They probably know how much compensation they are willing to part with, so why not send you a response saying that on behalf of Comair we will be giving you a certain amount of money. They are probably giving you a Delta Dollars certificate anyway, so this is a sham.

BTW, what would they be doing if this was a Song flight? Tell you to sing for your money?
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Very poor.

Like the ASA agents who declined to rebook me on Saturday, saying "Delta got you here late, go talk to Delta."
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
Legally they are probably correct. However from a customer's viewpoint this is terrible. They probably know how much compensation they are willing to part with, so why not send you a response saying that on behalf of Comair we will be giving you a certain amount of money. They are probably giving you a Delta Dollars certificate anyway, so this is a sham.

BTW, what would they be doing if this was a Song flight? Tell you to sing for your money?
The flight is a Delta-marketed flight, so they are at least Comair's agent in the transaction. I suspect that, as is customary, DL pays Comair a flat fee to fly a plane from hither to yon, so in that respect DL is subcontracting its obligation to pax.

The contract of carriage probably makes the fare paid the extent of liability, except where additional liability inures by operation of law.

Nits aside, I expect that the carrier I bought my ticket from and that I have status on will take care of me when its contractor (or principal, as the case may be) blows it.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:34 pm

Programs: Former 16 year Gold Medallion
Wow, that's an absolutely pathetic response. If you haven't considered it yet, then print out the email and forward it to Mr. Grinstein and copy the newspaper.

Quite frankly after the fiasco with the catering recently, and now this incident, Mr. Grinstein should be all over the TV telling the country how he takes personal responsiblity for ALL of Delta's companies and what he's going to do to correct the situation.

With the big schedule realignment day fast approaching the air line CANNOT afford another big PR fiasco with this kind of response.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:38 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
While the travel was on Comair, you booked through Delta and Delta is bound to their contract of carriage, whatever they may be.

I'm not a lawyer, however. Good luck.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:59 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
I do not know what the process is where you are, but here in Pocahontas county it cost $50 to file a law suit in small claims court and the court clerks will walk you through the entire process. My guess, DL would pay what ever you asked as long as it was reasonable, and here they are required to pay the $50 is they loose the case. There is no other way to deal with DL when they reply with an email like they did.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Rssrsvp

Maybe they'll give out Comair dollars instead of DL dollars!
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by rd7242
While the travel was on Comair, you booked through Delta and Delta is bound to their contract of carriage, whatever they may be.

I'm not a lawyer, however. Good luck.
Class action, perhaps... what is the value of missing Xmas with your family?
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:34 pm

I missed a connection on Delta to PHL once because of a late Comair flight from HSV to CVG. The Delta agants refused to rebook me and said it was Comair's fault and Comair said they couldn't rebook a Delta flight. I walked to the US counter and fortunately they accommodated me. It was a full Y ticket.

Jay
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:45 pm

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 2007 at 8:30 am
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:51 pm

Programs: CO Plat, DL Million Miler
Anyone who thinks DL will accept any responsibility for Comair's fiasco is totally naive.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by tarmacsitting
Wow, that's an absolutely pathetic response. If you haven't considered it yet, then print out the email and forward it to Mr. Grinstein and copy the newspaper.
What exactly is pathetic about the response? Comair is handling the compensation issues. It's not like DL told him no compenstation would be forthcoming and to pound salt.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:00 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by outtolunch
What exactly is pathetic about the response? Comair is handling the compensation issues. It's not like DL told him no compenstation would be forthcoming and to pound salt.
but as the OP sent in the request as an email, Delta could of at least sent it onto the right people at commair.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:18 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by RobertS975
Class action, perhaps... what is the value of missing Xmas with your family?
H3ll, I guess I'd pay around $1,000.00 or so to have a good excuse to miss Christmas with some of my family

Last edited by underpressure; Dec 27, 2004 at 4:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.