Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Guilin China [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Guilin China [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton Guilin China [Master Thread]

I'm not a regular Sheraton customer, but I stayed at the one in Guilin, China recently. It is a very decent property, of the "atrium" variety. Quite a few celebrities and dignitaries have visited it. The service and rooms were of a very good standard and the hotel is perfectly located. The tour guides on staff deserve especially high marks.

There's a "coffee shop" restaurant out the side enterance (past the hotel gift shops) and across the street that has excellent food and excellent service for very little money -- especially the hot pots and the local fish steamed in foil.

Last edited by SpuddBrother; Dec 29, 2004 at 12:49 am
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:33 am

I second that Sheraton Guilin is a wonderful property, perhaps the best in town. There is a street right behind the hotel where one can find varieties of yummy local food.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll "third" that! A very comfortable and nicely-maintained hotel. As I recall, the restaurant around the corner and across the street is actually part of the Sheraton -- it had pretty good food for a hotel-operated "gweilo" restaurant.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

A Guilin specialty is a Taro and Pork dish. The one I had was alternating layers of pork and taro baked into a loaf pan with gravy and then turned out onto a dinner plate before serving. Wow! Very tasty, but I had to cut away some of the fat that the Chinese like to eat.

Also, don't forget to try the Osmanthus fish cooked in foil. It was an A+ also.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:49 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Do they upgrade platinum to a suite? What's the best choice of rooms?
Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Gold (current Platinum), Hilton Diamond
Anyone stayed recently?

I'm hoping someone who stayed here more recently can give some insight as to the condition of this property? I'll be in Guilin Nov. 6-8 and my traveling companion is headed to the Waterfall Hotel instead. I think I want to stay at the Sheraton and earn points, but not if this hotel pales in comparison to the Waterfall! Thanks for any info.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:01 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
I actually stayed there between 10/1-10/3, it is a very good hotel, the staff there are very friendly. however, I need to remain you one thing, do your currency exchange at bank, not hotel front desk or anywhere else. I got one fake RMB100 from them, I didn't realize until I try to spend them at other places, they refuse to take that biil.

I think it is not hotel's fault because they take a lot of cash everyday, they probably didn't notice that there one fake currency among others.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Gold (current Platinum), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yyliu88
I actually stayed there between 10/1-10/3, it is a very good hotel, the staff there are very friendly. however, I need to remain you one thing, do your currency exchange at bank, not hotel front desk or anywhere else. I got one fake RMB100 from them, I didn't realize until I try to spend them at other places, they refuse to take that biil.
Thanks for the tip! We're headed there tonight after a lovely stay at Sheraton Towers Hong Kong.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UAL 1K, QF, SPG-G, HILTON
Guilin China

Anyone going to China should not miss Guilin, it is one of the most beautiful places I have seen. The trip down the river is spectacluar.

The Sheraton hotel is in a great location and the staff are so helpful and kind. it makes the trip worthwhile.

I spent 3 days here and I wish I would have stayed longer.

The food is great at the hotel and everyone is so helpful.

I hope you enjoy your stay at this hotel.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Thanks for the post and glad you enjoyed your trip. You may consider writing a trip report in the Community section of FT and/or a review on TripAdvisor, to better serve other travelers.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 2:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sheraton Guilin about to be rebadged?

The only problem is as I was attempting to book the Sheraton Guilin for May/June 2009, no dates are available. An agent source tells me the hotel will be rebadged as a Daewoo property. (The SPG pages have nothing about this, but I'd appreciate any light that can be shed on this issue.)
Old Aug 11, 2008, 7:28 pm

it's a hotel in an excellent location, but i thought it was a bit of an odd mix of nice and old fashioned.

the rooms were just ok, the breakfast area somewhat dated, but the bar area very nice. And the staff couldn't have been nicer.

Last edited by MrAOK; Aug 12, 2008 at 5:06 am
Old Aug 11, 2008, 7:44 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
Originally Posted by JDiver
The only problem is as I was attempting to book the Sheraton Guilin for May/June 2009, no dates are available. An agent source tells me the hotel will be rebadged as a Daewoo property. (The SPG pages have nothing about this, but I'd appreciate any light that can be shed on this issue.)
This hotel has been named Sheraton Daewoo hotel for long long time because Daewoo Corp is the owner. I don't think hotel is leaving the SPG, it just has loaded any date yet.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 8:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'll hope that's it. The agent who contacted me with a proposal for Shanghai - Guilin - Shanghai in May 2009 said:

Overnight at Daewoo Hotel (former Sheraton Hotel)

I'll do some more research, and see when dates become available - and post back.

This hotel has been named Sheraton Daewoo hotel for long long time because Daewoo Corp is the owner. I don't think hotel is leaving the SPG, it just has loaded any date yet.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 1:07 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi all,

No news on the property leaving Starwood either. The rates for year 2009 are not uploaded as well, probably due end of the year.

Any member who needs to confirm their non-award reservation for next year may write to the property directly for assistance.

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.