Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Amazing fares from Tahiti to everywhere. Example: $100 PPT-NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
[FARE GONE] Amazing fares from Tahiti to everywhere. Example: $100 PPT-NYC

On Travelocity, there are some AMAZINGLY low fares from PPT.

Some examples are under $150 fares to all major US cities, 140 to NCE or CDG, $170 to NRT and others.

The fares are on Air Tahiti Nui, Air New Zealand, AF, Hawaian, Quantas and JL, dependign on the market.

The fare only works from PPT, not in reverse.

Now, the big question is how to get to PPT without spending a fortune. Any ideas?

EDIT: Looks like some similar fares also exist from Noumea Tontouta, New Caledonia (NOU)

Last edited by yevlesh2; Jan 2, 2005 at 1:47 am
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:41 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
You're right -- pretty neat, too bad it doesn't go the other way!

1 adult Total: USD 205.95 (w/ taxes & fees)

Airline Logo Flight: Air France flight 71 on a Boeing 747 Jet

Depart: Papeete, French Polynesia (PPT)- Sat, Jan 08 9:35am
Arrive: Los Angeles, CA (LAX) - Sat, Jan 08 7:30pm
Connecting To

Airline Logo Flight: Continental Airlines flight 1803 on a Boeing 757-200 Jet
Depart: Los Angeles, CA (LAX)- Sat, Jan 08 9:55pm
Arrive: Newark, NJ (EWR) - Sun, Jan 09 5:47am

Airline Logo Flight: Continental Airlines flight 17 on a Boeing 737-800 Jet
Depart: Newark, NJ (EWR)- Sun, Jan 16 5:45pm
Arrive: Los Angeles, CA (LAX) - Sun, Jan 16 8:55pm
Connecting To

Airline Logo Flight: Air France flight 70 on a Boeing 747 Jet
Depart: Los Angeles, CA (LAX)- Sun, Jan 16 11:55pm
Arrive: Papeete, French Polynesia (PPT) - Mon, Jan 17 6:10am
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan; PriorityClub
Well, Expedia doesn't have them. And neither does Galileo, either as SITI or SOTO fares. Methinks Travelocity doth have a glitch.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:32 am

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
Question

Hello,
I was just wondering... I know it might not be totally legal, but couldnt you book two round trips from PPT and just use one half of each. What is that called, a basket or something. Sorry, I am not pro with the lingo!
This seems like too good of a deal to pass up, and I am wondering what problems I would have if I did this?

THANX
Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:43 am
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NWA_5479
Hello,
I was just wondering... I know it might not be totally legal, but couldnt you book two round trips from PPT and just use one half of each. What is that called, a basket or something.
No, because when you miss the first half of your trip, the second half will be cancelled. So, for example, if you book PPT-JFK-PPT with the intention of flying only the JFK-PPT leg, it will be cancelled when you miss the PPT-JFK leg.

Now, it's probably a good thing that I can't find a reasonable price to PPT, or I might be spending an extra 32 hours on planes in the next month or two.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:47 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by NWA_5479
Hello,
I was just wondering... I know it might not be totally legal, but couldnt you book two round trips from PPT and just use one half of each. What is that called, a basket or something. Sorry, I am not pro with the lingo!
This seems like too good of a deal to pass up, and I am wondering what problems I would have if I did this?

THANX
Your biggest problem would be getting to Tahiti. You could use the outbound half of a Tahiti - somewhere ticket to get back, but it is highly unlikely that you would be able to use the return half of another ticket to get there if you didn't fly the outbound segments.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 2:22 am

It looks like the exchange rate they have loaded for the French Polynesian Francs (XPF) is off by a factor of 10 because many of their hotels are pricing out at about 1/10 of the normal price. For example, the Sheraton Tahiti is showing $26.86 a night.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 2:29 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Let's see what happens.... just reserved a PPT-LAX-CDG-MUC r/t in unrestricted C (with rebooking at no penalty without fare recalculation) for USD 1043.60.

This could nicely be integrated in my RTW itinerary...
Old Jan 2, 2005, 2:34 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
OK, just received my e-ticket number

U.S. dollars
Price Per Adult: USD 1043.60
Price Breakdown
Base Price: USD 795.00
Taxes & Fees: USD 243.60
Service Fee: USD 5.00
Total: USD 1043.60
Billed to: American Express card number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Total amount due: $0.00 - PAID IN FULL
Ticket Numbers: 057xxxxxxxxxx

Class C
Old Jan 2, 2005, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by dogcanyon
It looks like the exchange rate they have loaded for the French Polynesian Francs (XPF) is off by a factor of 10 because many of their hotels are pricing out at about 1/10 of the normal price. For example, the Sheraton Tahiti is showing $26.86 a night.
Excellent detective work. This also explains why these fares are only for travel departing Tahiti.

They are under no obligation to honor mistakes like this, but feel free to try to game them.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:17 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by dogcanyon

But when you try to purchase, you're quoted the correct amount of XPF, rather than US dollars. Try fighting that battle!

FYI for those more adventurous types, Biz/First combos to NY price out at $1300ish per person all in. Them's full fare flights with 1.5 EQMs on AA if flying AA/LA.

Last edited by rpmkwpw; Jan 2, 2005 at 4:54 am
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by rpmkwpw
But when you try to purchase, you're quoted the correct amount of XPF, rather than US dollars. Try fighting that battle!
With hotels, I agree - this certainly won't work.
Airfare though is charged in USD (according to my e-ticket receipt).

Originally Posted by rpmkwpw
FYI for those more adventurous types, Biz/First combos from NY price out at $1300ish per person all in. Them's full fare flights with 1.5 EQMs on AA if flying AA/LA.
Are you sure this is from NYC?
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:54 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
Originally Posted by rcs85551
With hotels, I agree - this certainly won't work.
Airfare though is charged in USD (according to my e-ticket receipt).

Are you sure this is from NYC?

NO! I need sleep. Of course, I meant to say PPT-NYC. Oops!
Old Jan 2, 2005, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Found this glitch yesterday afternoon:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385300

I was trying to ticket PPT-BOB on VT. Travelocity kept spitting up on the final purchase page. When I called and they experienced the same problem on the phone, the help desk came back saying that VT was a self-validating carrier and they couldn't issue the tickets which is why the system returned a credit card error. I'd have thought they could just issue the tickets on AF ticket stock though.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 7:19 am

If only this fare would have been available to PPT and not from... I tried to price PPT-LON on NZ in biz and I got a fare of about 1000$ but in the end they changed it to over 7000$

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.