Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Denied F on Purchased Tix (Oversold), Offered Only $100 Delta Dollars

Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

* I was traveling on a purchased First Class ticket (an “A” fare booked within “D” and “Y” buckets due to the equipment operating my flights).

* Upon checking in, I was presented with a “Seat Verification Card” tagged as “CONFIRMED.” Apparently DL relinquished my previously assigned seat.

* 15 minutes before departure, and nearly 30 minutes after the flight began boarding, I was informed DL would not be able to accommodate me into the First Class cabin as it had been oversold. Instead, I would be offered an “equivalent” seat [crew rest on a BE-763ER] but with Coach service. For my “inconvenience” I’d be offered a voucher for a one-way, one-class upgrade (valid within the USA, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean - not valid to Hawaii). I appealed the “solution” but was told F was unavailable for the rest of the day, the compensation being presented to me was more than fair, and the flight was waiting for me - if I did not board immediately, I’d waive my flight coupon. So I relented.

* On board, other coach passengers had moved into my assigned seat. A FA tells me “it’s nothing to get upset over... a seat is a seat... there’s one available in the back.” But no overhead storage space, so I had tp check my carry-on.

* I appeal the situation to DL consumer service, only to be told ‘we’re sorry this happened - we don’t normally oversell First - but your boarding indicates you had an upgraded seat [never mind the FA didn’t care it was occupied] vs. our standard product, and we compensated you fairly.’ They offered to trade the upgrade certificate for a $100 Delta Dollars voucher.

Am I wrong to think that in paying nearly OW$400 CASH for an upgraded seat, only to be hassled and sit in a standard seat, is only worth a $100 voucher (DL’s value, not mine)? Or do others agree with me that DL’s compensation sucks?

Last edited by Bagels; Jan 4, 2005 at 9:55 pm
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:19 pm

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
did you get your money back?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Bumped by a sky marshall?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Smaug
Bumped by a sky marshall?
I agree.

For me, since the upgrade is all about the seat, I would have taken the crew rest seat and not asked for anything.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by indufan
For me, since the upgrade is all about the seat, I would have taken the crew rest seat and not asked for anything.
The crew rests (row 15 - yes, they're similar to BE but there does appear to be quite a bit less leg room) are sold as standard economy (complete with standard service -- e.g. meals/drinks/headsets for sale, etc.) on domestic BE-763ER flights (and maybe intl less than 8 hours). ANYBODY can claim these seats on the day of departure (as I found out when coach passengers had moved up & grabbed my seat).

So you'd pay $400 more for a First Class seat, go through a lot of hassel, not be allowed to board until the last minute, have to check your carry-on... and accept the crew rest - sold as a standard seat that ANYBODY could claim - without compensation?? Not to mention paying $4 for each drink, $2 for a headset and $10 for a meal... Or are you trying to defend Delta?

In the words of The Simpson's great Comic Book Guy, "Please [Delta], take my money -- I don't want it!!"

(*And as I mentioned, the seat they assigned me had been claimed by another passengerr, anyway... and no, DL won't refund my $$).
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Bagels
The crew rests (row 15 - yes, they're similar to BE but there does appear to be quite a bit less leg room) are sold as standard economy (complete with standard service -- e.g. meals/drinks/headsets for sale, etc.) on domestic BE-763ER flights (and maybe intl less than 8 hours). ANYBODY can claim these seats on the day of departure (as I found out when coach passengers had moved up & grabbed my seat).

So you'd pay $400 more for a First Class seat, go through a lot of hassel, not be allowed to board until the last minute, have to check your carry-on... and accept the crew rest - sold as a standard seat that ANYBODY could claim - without compensation?? Not to mention paying $4 for each drink, $2 for a headset and $10 for a meal... Or are you trying to defend Delta?

In the words of The Simpson's great Comic Book Guy, "Please [Delta], take my money -- I don't want it!!"

(*And as I mentioned, the seat they assigned me had been claimed by another passengerr, anyway... and no, DL won't refund my $$).
For Me...and that's just me, it's all about the seat. The hassle would have bothered me a bit. If overhead bin space was not available, I would have kindly explained the situation and asked if it could be stored in the closet. I wouldn't have paid $4 for a drink because I think Coke is still free back there. I keep a set of Delta headphones in my carryon and carry the Bose ones usually. There are days that I wish I was paying the $10 to eat the food in coach, in reality, I did this once even when I was sitting up front.

And I defending Delta? No. Do I think a Air Marshall took your seat, yes.

Now, what I would be pissed about is someone sitting in my seat...that one I would have made a serious scene about if it was needed. THEREFORE, since you didn't even get the crew rest seat, I think they should give you more than $100. Otherwise, I would think that it would have been more than fair.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:07 am

Programs: Delta MM
Obviously something unusual transpired to cause you to lose your seat. Those instances are rare, and therefore the system is less equipped to deal with it. These situations get tricky. They can't give you what they originally agreed to give you and what you paid for. If anything, they should be a little bit more than fair as they clearly violated the original agreement (Price X for seat Y).

That said, the days of spending twice the fare for a seat up front because you are willing to pay for a differentiated class of service are long gone. They know that and so do you. A is a discounted first class ticket where they are just trying to squeeze a few extra dollars out of someone who would otherwise have to pay for a Y class anyway instead of giving that last first class seat away for free to a Silver Medalion (who should be happy to get a bag tag and shouldn't expect an upgrade with any regularity *humor intended*). Anyway, you are still right that they violated your agreement but from their perspective, you just paid a few bucks more for the discounted seat so they are replacing your $250 seat with a $230 seat. The fact that the $230 seat sells for $100 when you book way in advance is irrelevant.

All of that is just a long way of saying, if they give you an equivalent seat with a coach class of service plus a coupon that guarantees an upgrade on a future flight (meaning you get it at the time of booking and don't have to play the lottery to win it) then I would say you were treated reasonably fairly. Essentially, you pay for a discounted first class seat and a discount coach seat (this flight plus the one you eventually upgrade with the coupon) and you receive one first class seat and one upgraded coach seat. All-in-all, that's fair. Personally, I would have liked to see them do just a bit more. Two upgrade coupons would be better since it was them and not you who breached the agreement and they should overcompensate (plus those coupons cost them nothing as it just steals an upgrade seat from a FF who will be disappointed but who will get over it). But asking for large cash compensation is asking for too much in my mind.

All of that, of course, is only one guy's opinion. Take or leave it as you please.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:36 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
I don't understand why you agreed to sit in a seat other than the one assigned to you. It's obviously clear to anyone who looks at the seat that the crew rest seat in a 763ER is NOT just another seat. It's substantially nicer, and, more importantly, it happens to be yours. I would have demanded the FA reseat the jerk that stole your seat into their properly assigned seat. If they produced a boarding card with the same seat, I would then have asked for the ground agent who bumped you to deal with the situation. (By either reassigning the other passenger or offering you additional compensation.)

There's nothing I hate more than a passenger who thinks they can just plop down in whatever seat they like and then assume the person who had that seat will find something else. Happens to me all the time, as I generally have the best seat on the plane. Thats not by accident folks! You too can have that seat if you book ahead of time. You can't have it because you sat down first. (That said, I almost always relinquish my seat if someone asks politely after I've arrived.)
Old Jan 5, 2005, 1:53 am

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Originally Posted by John C
Obviously something unusual transpired to cause you to lose your seat. Those instances are rare, and therefore the system is less equipped to deal with it. These situations get tricky. They can't give you what they originally agreed to give you and what you paid for. If anything, they should be a little bit more than fair as they clearly violated the original agreement (Price X for seat Y).

That said, the days of spending twice the fare for a seat up front because you are willing to pay for a differentiated class of service are long gone. They know that and so do you. A is a discounted first class ticket where they are just trying to squeeze a few extra dollars out of someone who would otherwise have to pay for a Y class anyway instead of giving that last first class seat away for free to a Silver Medalion (who should be happy to get a bag tag and shouldn't expect an upgrade with any regularity *humor intended*). Anyway, you are still right that they violated your agreement but from their perspective, you just paid a few bucks more for the discounted seat so they are replacing your $250 seat with a $230 seat. The fact that the $230 seat sells for $100 when you book way in advance is irrelevant.
Believe it or not,there are still some of us who book far in advance and will still purchase an A fare to have the flexibility of having a fully refundable FC ticket. I would be VERY upset if this scenario happened to me if I booked an A fare 30 days in advance for $400 more than an L class to have this flexibility and comfort and then be stuck in coach!
Old Jan 5, 2005, 1:59 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Gate procedure for involuntary downgrades is a free r/t upgrade (domestic) as well as a refund of the fare difference.

If you want additional compensation (which should be due for a paid premium class pax), you have to go through customer care.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bagels
* On board, other coach passengers had moved into my assigned seat. A FA tells me “it’s nothing to get upset over... a seat is a seat... there’s one available in the back.” But no overhead storage space, so I had tp check my carry-on.
The middle two seats in row 15 are the pilot's rest station for international flights. They are true B/E seats. The window & aisle seats in row 15 are enhanced Y seats for the FA's on International flights. They are slightly superior to a regular Y seat. If you had been assigned one of the middle two seats, and someone had decided to take it, I would have made a major stink over it and demanded that the FA get the GA that assigned you that seat. BTW, was this a JFK-LAX transcon on the 763?

Incidentally, I agree that you were bumped for a FAM.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:39 am

Programs: No More Loyalty
Originally Posted by John C
That said, the days of spending twice the fare for a seat up front because you are willing to pay for a differentiated class of service are long gone. They know that and so do you. A is a discounted first class ticket where they are just trying to squeeze a few extra dollars out of someone who would otherwise have to pay for a Y class anyway instead of giving that last first class seat away for free to a Silver Medalion. ... Anyway, you are still right that they violated your agreement but from their perspective, you just paid a few bucks more for the discounted seat so they are replacing your $250 seat with a $230 seat. The fact that the $230 seat sells for $100 when you book way in advance is irrelevant.
This doesn't mirror my experience at all. The relevant price comparison is a discounted first-class seat (A) vs. a discounted coach seat. When an upgrade looks unlikely, and I really want that first-class seat, a full-fare coach seat nevers enters the equation. The choice is between ensuring a first-class seat with an A fare or settling for coach but saving money by buying a heavily discounted ticket. So the price difference for A often times is double the price of coach.

I can understand that DL has a pecking order for displacing first-class passengers, and that someone on a discounted A fare would be below someone on a full fare. But I have to wonder if there were upgrades riding in first that should have been bumped before the paying A customer?

I agree with others that the OP only has himself to blame for letting that premium coach seat slip away. But I also think he will have success in getting better compensation if he contacts customer service.

Last edited by Sirecca; Jan 5, 2005 at 10:26 am
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:42 am

Programs: No More Loyalty
Originally Posted by RunawayNFly
Believe it or not,there are still some of us who book far in advance and will still purchase an A fare to have the flexibility of having a fully refundable FC ticket. I would be VERY upset if this scenario happened to me if I booked an A fare 30 days in advance for $400 more than an L class to have this flexibility and comfort and then be stuck in coach!
I don' think I have ever seen a refundable A fare. Do they exist?
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:47 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Sirecca
I don' think I have ever seen a refundable A fare. Do they exist?
Every A fare I have ever purchased has been fully changeable and fully refundable.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
I am a little confused by this situation... you say you purchased an A FC fare. However, in your response from DL Customer Care, they say you purchased an upgradable seat... if you bargain for FC and purchased a FC ticket and DL did not deliver a FC seat to you, then they are clearly in breach of the bargain for exchange. They should have compensated you the difference in value of what you could have purchased a discounted lowest coach ticket for on the day you made your A fare purchase.

I find it inexcusable to bump somebody from 1st and put them in coach. If they assigned you a ticket with a seat number on it and it was a crew rest seat and someone was in it, I would have made a bigger stink to get them out of the seat. The reason you were being given this seat was because you purchases a FC ticket. No one has the right to take a seat they were not assigned to, plain and simple...

I think you should write a letter to DL corporate customer care. They tend to be a little better at solving these issues and apparently have a little more power to compensate you than the general customer service people you get when you write in from the DL website.

GOOD LUCK!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.