Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE: Wigwam, Phoenix [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2000, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Arrow GONE: Wigwam, Phoenix [Master Thread]

Anybody know what this is. It just showed up (I think) in the free weekend menu for Arizona. It is a Category 5 luxury collection property. We were looking to go over to AZ for a free weekend, and we usually go to the Sheraton El Conquistador outside Tucson which I like very much. But I thought we'd do something different, and since the Phoenecian was blocked from this promo, I was looking at some pretty lackluster choices in Phoenix or the very nice Westin in Tucson. Then all of a sudden something pops up on the list, without even a name listed by it, just saying an address (just west of Phoenix) and that it was cat 5 luxury collection. They don't even seem to have a website up for the hotel yet, though we were able to book, and to choose from a wide selection of rooms. On some dates, it even allowed you to select a suite! We'll be there Labor Day weekend if business doesn't interfere... Would appreciate any info about this property!
Old Aug 2, 2000, 12:20 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Out of season there as you know steffo, and really quiet and peaceful out of the way location too, but an excellent property generally. Nearly 100 years old and known for good food, service and 3 golf courses, I believe! Hope this helps!

In response to below:
I believe it was possibly independent and that Starwood acquired it late last year. I also think this is the resort originally built by Goodyear just after the turn of the century and only opened to the public during the Great Depression years. Incidentally, it's been awhile since I was here (~8 yrs), so I hope it is not in need of serious refurbishment or something!

[This message has been edited by doc (edited 08-02-2000).]
Old Aug 2, 2000, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks Doc. Has this been a Strwood property for long? I just don't remember ever noticing it, but of course that is possible. There are a couple of hotels in Phoenix I really like (the Buttes, and the Biltmore) but no Starwoods that I like yet. I'll be happy to give this Wigwam a try. Peace and quiet is most of what I want on my free weekends!
Old Aug 2, 2000, 5:52 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I was there a few years ago, and it is just west of the city. But it is a beautiful property with great golf, nice rooms & casitas. I would definately go for this site as a Free Friday given the choices, even if the Phoenicon were available. While not as 'glitzy' as that property it is very comfortable and laid back--more like a western style Biltmore.
Old Aug 2, 2000, 10:25 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I have been thinking about staying at the Wigwam too. They do have a website:
http://www.wigwamresort.com/

The room photos look a little less luxurios than level 5 luxury collection to me, but often photos don't capture the true spirit of a place...
Old Aug 3, 2000, 1:09 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Highly recommend the Wigwam. Great golf, great food, great amenities. When I lived in Tucson, we did our Arizona State Recreation Convention there. Man, what a show they put on. I hope to get back for a repeat performance in the near future!
Old Aug 3, 2000, 6:14 am

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
I, too recommend - great place! great golf!
Old Aug 3, 2000, 8:15 am

Was there last February for a corporate retreat. Very nice but does not measure up to places such as the Phoenician and Boulders (parden my spelling). My collegues said the golf was great. Rooms were good but not excellent. (Not quite up to level 5). Lots of available activities (take a desert tour). Staff very friendly. Just look out for large corporate conventions/groups which could spoil the peace and quite. I stayed 1 day past our meetings and the pool went from busy to very peaceful.
Old Feb 13, 2001, 8:28 am

I just returned from a stay there and I would have to agree with dcpremex. I'm a Platinum with Starwood and had a reservation for this past Sat. I checked in around 1 pm and was told I was upgraded to a 'very nice room'. I was then given a map of the property and told to check with the 'bellman' for directions. He pointed me to the right and told me to follow the roadway (no offer of assistance or ride in the empty carts at the bell stand). Ten minutes later, I was still wandering around looking for my room. A cleaning woman told me I was actually located on the other side of the resort! Finally found my room, behind a dark wall/staircase. It was small, dark and facing one of the tennis courts. I don't play tennis, but obviously from the crowd & noise outside, everyone else did. I called and asked for a room change. The desk clerk said fine & would call back with my new room number. She then called again, and said if I could wait an hour, the Executive suite would be available. I said 'great'. Sure enough, this time the bellman showed up with a cart to take me to my suite. It was on an upper level, facing the smaller pool. While not luxurious in the strictess sense, it was very nice with 1 1/2 baths, whirlpool tub, a fireplace in the living room & another one on the terrace, and caswell & massey amenities. I went out for dinner, and upon my return I found a basket of Arizona/ mexican products including chips, salsa, candies and nuts in my room.
So, while I had no real complaints, my only question pertains to the treatment of Platinum. Upon check in I was given a fairly standard room, with no special treatment. Only when I complained did I get a better room. Also, I noticed my SPG account today did show the posted stay, but instead of credit for the $309 I was charged, I received only 108 SPG Points???--with my bonus of 54 points for being Platinum. Not sure why, but I figured I'd call later on today to ask.
Old Feb 13, 2001, 8:39 am

I liked it very much although its not absolutely luxurious.It has an old fashioned charm and the staff are very friendly.The pool area was nice,the food was good.Is it absolutely top end of the range? No.Is it slightly different,very relaxing and worth a visit?Yes
Old Jan 8, 2005, 1:46 pm

Phoenix Wigwam?

Anyone stay here in the last year? Are they good about upgrading Plats?

Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2005, 12:35 am

Yes to both questions!
Old Jan 9, 2005, 9:17 am

About a year ago, as I Platinum--on a one night stay, I was given a small, dark room on the ground floor, directly opposite the tennis courts. I guess that would be ok if I played tennis (I don't), and didn't mind hearing balls being loudly whacked back & forth all day long (I did). So I called and asked if I could have a room change. (PS- As a Platinum, I rarely ever ask to change rooms, and I've never ever asked at check in at any hotel anywhere for a suite upgrade). I was told if I could wait an hour or so, they'd call back and see what they could do. 90 minutes later, a staffer shows up at my door with a golf cart to take me to my new accomodations. I was driven to one of the casita suites with a working fireplace, small kitchen, large bedroom & living room with gigantic terrace (also with a firepit)!! Wow and here I was on a discounted corp rate.
So in answer to your question about Plat treatment, I'm not sure?? As a Plat my first room was definately not a good one, but the second one sure made up for it
Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:53 pm

I stayed there a few months back and received a wonderful upgrade and fantastic service. And I'm only Gold status.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 12:49 pm

Wigwam Trip Report

I was at the Wigwam for a one night stay 1/29/05. Check-in did not go well as I asked for a upgrade after finding out they had me in a regular room. I was told they were only 60% full and that the computer was down and I would have to come back later if I wanted an upgrade because they didn't know what they have available. I came back at 3:30 and they told me I was upgraded to a superior king. I told the clerk I needed a king and pullout and she made a change. We got to our room after carrying our bags thought the pouring down rain to find out the sofa had no pullout. We loaded all the bags up again and back to the desk we went. The clerk then says oh yea you did ask for a pullout didn't you. I get to the new room to find not an upgrade but a old room with worn out furnishings and a tired bathroom area. I called down to have pillows sent to the room for the pullout. Two hours after I get to the room I had to call down and ask where the Platinum amenity and pillows were and at this point I am told it is in my room already. I then tell the clerk I have not left the room and they are not here,she states she will check in to it and get back with me. One more hours pass and I call again and ask for the MOD to witch the clerk asks if theres anything she can do? I told her I was leaving the room soon and wanted my things before I go out. At this point she tells me the MOD is busy checking in guests and the hotel is very busy. I tell her to have the MOD call me when they get a chance. Five minutes later when my wife and I are getting dressed here comes my things without a knock the guy walks in and hands me the amenity. I am still waiting on a call back from the MOD and at this point I don't think its coming. The $15 resort says it covers high speed Internet but the room does not have it and when I asked I was told I could go to the business center and use the computer there. This resort has many people running around but the service at this hotel is the worst I have encountered at any hotel I have stayed in. The outside areas of the resort are nice but it does not make up for the many service failures at the Wigwam. I asked for a late check out and they would only give me to 2:00 PM. If your looking for a place to relax and be catered to this is not the resort! If you are a Plat don't expect anything special at this hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.