Wiki Posts
Search

Worth it to join AC?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors
Worth it to join AC?

For those with an Admiral's Club membership, are you glad you joined? Did it seem worth the cost to you? Many times I get to the airport early after finishing business for the day and it seems like it would be nice to have some place to hang out and get the email done and so forth, so I am inclined to join at this point. Any thoughts?

Also, any place I can find a discount membership sign up. I don't want to use miles.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:35 am

Do a search in the AA forum for "QANTAS club." Joining the QANTAS club costs less than the AC, allows access to ACs when flying AA, and also allows access to US and BA clubs when flying those airlines. Of course you get QF club access too.

Also, QF club members get 2 free drinks when using ACs (paid AC members do not get this).
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:43 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I'd join if my membership wasn't complimentary via QF Gold status. (and the Qantas Club option wasn't available)

The AC AAgents have helped me out of many a jam. Also, it's well worth having a comfy place to usually get a t-mobile signal and have clean restrooms and often showers available.

Last edited by Spiff; Jan 31, 2005 at 10:49 am
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:46 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LTRS
Any thoughts?
Yup. Check out this thread, found using search.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...t=Join+Admiral

Cheers.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 11:23 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
For those with an Admiral's Club membership, are you glad you joined? Did it seem worth the cost to you? Many times I get to the airport early after finishing business for the day and it seems like it would be nice to have some place to hang out and get the email done and so forth, so I am inclined to join at this point. Any thoughts?

Also, any place I can find a discount membership sign up. I don't want to use miles.
Given the plethora of threads on can I use it based on fare/destination...etc. (or can I jsut use it because I am inconvenienced) , and since it costs about what one short flight costs, to get away from the throngs in the general waiting areas makes it worth twice its cost.

The first time you arrive at 6 a.m. from South America or Hawaii and have a shower and shave and change in a clean, private bathroom you will agree. Or when you are faced with a 4 hour delay on top of a 2 hour layover, e.g. if you ever use MIA to connect.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HHonors-Gold, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
Yes.

I try to spend money carefully when it comes to things like memberships. I want to make sure I'll actually use the benefits and that I'm getting a good value for the price.

I have found my AC membership to be worth it. I like it for the business services and the wireless internet access, and I like being able to find an atmosphere that is suitable to do some work if I need to, or to relax if I am able. For me, it makes a big difference to duck into what is usually a quieter place than the gate areas. (Those beeping carts driving around all the time drive me batty.) In an airport where there isn't one, I miss it. (MCO)

And, as others have said, when you find yourself on one of those flights to one of those destinations on one of those days where weather isn't cooperating and the cancellatings are rolling, it's far nicer to stand in the line for the AC agents to help re-book than to have to go back to the ticketing area with 'everyone else.'
Old Jan 31, 2005, 1:04 pm

Since you are AA PLT, you'll receive a discounted rate for joining the AC.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors
Originally Posted by ExtrAAordinaire
Since you are AA PLT, you'll receive a discounted rate for joining the AC.
Okay, I'm convinced. I went ahead and bought it. Looked into Quantas, but since it's now up to $500 US and I get the PLT discount for AA I just went with AC. I can buy my own drinks (or wait and get them free in F)

Thanks to all of you for your help (and sorry I didn't find the previous discussions with my search -- search on admiral's club brings up so many threads I couldn't find it).
Old Jan 31, 2005, 1:47 pm

Okay, I'm convinced. I went ahead and bought it. Looked into Quantas, but since it's now up to $500 US and I get the PLT discount for AA I just went with AC. I can buy my own drinks (or wait and get them free in F)

Thanks to all of you for your help (and sorry I didn't find the previous discussions with my search -- search on admiral's club brings up so many threads I couldn't find it).
The first year in the QF club includes a joining fee. Subsequent years will run about $250. Throw in US and BA club access (only way to purchase BA club entrance I believe) and QF club is a winner. When I joined 4 years ago it was closer to $175 US each year. I sometimes wish that I had gotten a lifetime membership, but I keep on going for 2 year renewals since the QF/AA agreement could always end.

Anyway, I'm sure that you'll enjoy the ACs. As others have mentioned, they are great when you have a delay or when your flight is cancelled. Last spring I was flying BRU-ORD-IAD and the ORD-IAD flight was cancelled (all ORD-IAD flights were cancelled). The gate agent told me (I was AA gold at the time) that there were no other option that night and that I should go get a hotel room (on my dime because the cancellation was due to weather). I then went to the AC and asked for help. I was prepared to fly into PHL, LGA, BWI, etc. and just take a train to DC. When asked what airport was best for me, I didn't think they were asking DCA vs. BWI, but they were. The AC agent gave me a few options and I got to DCA about 2 hours after I was supposed to get to IAD. I used the extra time to shower at the AC. I'm convinced that I would have had to pay for a hotel room had I not had access to the AC.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 3:18 pm

Programs: American Airlines
If you fly more than twice a month and can afford it, airline lounges are quite useful and convenient to help pass the time in airports.

Originally Posted by johnep1
The first year in the QF club includes a joining fee. Subsequent years will run about $250. Throw in US and BA club access (only way to purchase BA club entrance I believe) and QF club is a winner. When I joined 4 years ago it was closer to $175 US each year. I sometimes wish that I had gotten a lifetime membership, but I keep on going for 2 year renewals since the QF/AA agreement could always end.

Anyway, I'm sure that you'll enjoy the ACs. As others have mentioned, they are great when you have a delay or when your flight is cancelled. Last spring I was flying BRU-ORD-IAD and the ORD-IAD flight was cancelled (all ORD-IAD flights were cancelled). The gate agent told me (I was AA gold at the time) that there were no other option that night and that I should go get a hotel room (on my dime because the cancellation was due to weather). I then went to the AC and asked for help. I was prepared to fly into PHL, LGA, BWI, etc. and just take a train to DC. When asked what airport was best for me, I didn't think they were asking DCA vs. BWI, but they were. The AC agent gave me a few options and I got to DCA about 2 hours after I was supposed to get to IAD. I used the extra time to shower at the AC. I'm convinced that I would have had to pay for a hotel room had I not had access to the AC.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 4:58 pm

The only problem with the QF membership is you have to be flying AA to use the AC. I have found many times I use the AC when not flying on AA.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
AC member since 1988. Cannot tell you how many times it has come in handy. Besides, it's a haven of civility in a world being taken over by low-fare mentality.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, UA, WN, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott Gld

Since I joined last year, I haven't been happier. It comes in handy for those business trips and MR. If planned well it is money well spent. It beats waiting at the gate now.(Just remember to leave 5 to 10 min before boarding time).
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:25 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tango
The only problem with the QF membership is you have to be flying AA to use the AC. I have found many times I use the AC when not flying on AA.
I have a Qantas Club membership and don't find this to be a problem. Most of the time, when I'm not flying AA, there's no Admiral's club in the terminal where my planes land and take off, anyway.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
It depends on how much you travel and how much time you spend in the terminal. I have very similar situations to yours and typically book the evening flight out and get to the airport around two hours early on many occassions. The AC makes the 2 hours productive, whereas sitting in the terminal for long periods of time frequently can make travel a burden.

I'd recommend purchasing a day pass the next time you find yourself in this situation. You can apply the cost of the day pass to your annual fee if you choose to purchase a membership within the first 30 days of getting your day pass.

Also, I've noticed by comparison that the AC varies in quality a good bit, but is usually better than the Delta CRC (fled from Delta last fall)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.