Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

$5 Telephone Charge and $10 Ticket Office/Airport Ticket Charge

$5 Telephone Charge and $10 Ticket Office/Airport Ticket Charge

Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Exclamation $5 Phone/ $10 Airport Tckt Charge: What Should Delta Do?

I posted this on another thread as a reply to another poster's comment, but thought the topic needed its own thread.

Northwest imposed the new fees first.
Then AA did.
Then US.
CO followed.
And then UA matched.

In an industry that plays "follow the leader" only time will tell if DL will follow. Today's announcement included this tidbit though:

"Expanding delta.com functionality to include fare search, refund and reissue transactions. Delta's goal is to migrate 50 percent of its customer transactions to delta.com by the end of 2005."

Do you think Delta should match in order to lower distribution costs, or not charge the fee in hopes on earning more $$ from new customers upset with the other 5 airlines?

I am not a sanctioned representative of Delta on these boards, just an interested participant. I'm only here trying to shed light on DL issues brought up on this board and to provide my opinion and/or to try to answer Qs. I do work for Delta, but I don't represent DL's final word when answering a question (in any capacity). Please e-mail Customer Care with your questions to get a corporately-supported reply. www.delta.com/email
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
DL is in a unique position here since they've off-shored some of the reservations sales agents' positions. In fact, even NW said part of the reason they need to recoup fees is that they're not outsourcing this function. Seeing that DL has already outsourced some reservations services to India, they are realizing savings, and you can argue they don't need to charge the same fee as everyone else.

It's bad enough having to pay $5 to talk with one of NW's grumpy agents. If you think I'm going to pay $5 to talk to some contract Delta imbecile in India who can't even do the job, let alone understand what I'm saying, you gotta be out of your mind.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:59 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
"It's bad enough having to pay $5 to talk with one of NW's grumpy agents. If you think I'm going to pay $5 to talk to some contract Delta imbecile in India who can't even do the job, let alone understand what I'm saying, you gotta be out of your mind."

Isn't that the whole point, drive you to just do it yourself on the web?
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:02 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by UnofficialDLHelper
Do you think Delta should match in order to lower distribution costs, or not charge the fee in hopes on earning more $$ from new customers upset with the other 5 airlines?
This is one of those bizarre fees that are immensely unpopular with pax. By DL not following the others in lockstep and implementing the fee, it says a lot about their commitment to being customer friendly.
So I say....skip the $5 charge and make it up with new customers who would sell their first born to save a few $$'s on a ticket price.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: NW Plat, UA 2P, DL FO, HH Silver, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by channa
some contract Delta imbecile in India
Nice to see your cultural sensitivity kicking in. As opposed as I am to moving jobs offshore, I wouldn't resort to calling them names.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:16 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Cholula
This is one of those bizarre fees that are immensely unpopular with pax. By DL not following the others in lockstep and implementing the fee, it says a lot about their commitment to being customer friendly.
So I say....skip the $5 charge and make it up with new customers who would sell their first born to save a few $$'s on a ticket price.
I could not agree more with Cholula's assessment.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by crimguy1976
Nice to see your cultural sensitivity kicking in. As opposed as I am to moving jobs offshore, I wouldn't resort to calling them names.

Gee, I wonder if the Indian call center imb...., er employees, are part of the 6-7K jobs to be cut?????????????
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: NW Plat, UA 2P, DL FO, HH Silver, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by mikey1003
Gee, I wonder if the Indian call center imb...., er employees, are part of the 6-7K jobs to be cut?????????????
Real mature!!!!!!
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
In rare agreement with crimguy1976

Originally Posted by crimguy1976
I'm sure the "contract imbeciles" in India have their own choice names for rude, overbearing Americans with delusions of superiority .
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:10 pm

I might be prepared to pay $5 if all my calls are processed in SLC. ^

More seriously, I tend to agree with Cholula. If I need an international itinerary that can't be booked on delta.com then charging for the necessity of talking to somebody in reservations seems inappropriate. After all, if I wander off to expedia.com I might find a better deal elsewhere so it is in Delta's interest to encourage me to call them first!
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

The 1,000 bonus SkyMiles for every round-trip I book at www.delta.com (500 bonus SkyMiles per one-way trip) was incentive enough for me to rarely ever call for a reservation unless absolutely necessary.

I have been taking advantage of this ongoing bonus since it was first introduced by Delta Air Lines.

Perhaps Delta Air Lines should further investigate temporarily boosting the incentive for a limited time — perhaps 2,000 bonus SkyMiles per round trip booked at www.delta.com — and include it in their advertising to get the word out, as well as use other means of spreading the word, such as on the screens in the kiosks...

Additionally, further improving www.delta.com to include more functions and features would further eliminate the need to call an 800 number.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie
The 1,000 bonus SkyMiles for every round-trip I book at www.delta.com (500 bonus SkyMiles per one-way trip) was incentive enough for me to rarely ever call for a reservation unless absolutely necessary.

I have been taking advantage of this ongoing bonus since it was first introduced by Delta Air Lines.

Perhaps Delta Air Lines should further investigate temporarily boosting the incentive for a limited time — perhaps 2,000 bonus SkyMiles per round trip booked at www.delta.com — and include it in their advertising to get the word out, as well as use other means of spreading the word, such as on the screens in the kiosks...
Along those lines, if I were Delta, rather than instituting new "fees", like the other airlines have done, perhaps Delta can advertise $5-$10 DISCOUNTS for booking on-line. It would achieve the same end result, but "sound" better (everyone likes a discount, but nobody likes paying a fee).
Old Sep 12, 2004, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by jimrpa
Along those lines, if I were Delta, rather than instituting new "fees", like the other airlines have done, perhaps Delta can advertise $5-$10 DISCOUNTS for booking on-line. It would achieve the same end result, but "sound" better (everyone likes a discount, but nobody likes paying a fee).
They already do that on certain Internet-only fares, but it would be nice if your idea were implemented on all fares booked at www.delta.com at all times, jimrpa.

In other words, I agree with your idea.

I just booked an Internet-only fare on www.delta.com and saved more than US$50.00 while also gaining bonus SkyMiles...
Old Sep 12, 2004, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
Post Fee removed?

Originally Posted by UnofficialDLHelper
I posted this on another thread as a reply to another poster's comment, but thought the topic needed its own thread.

Northwest imposed the new fees first.
Then AA did.
Then US.
CO followed.
And then UA matched.

In an industry that plays "follow the leader" only time will tell if DL will follow. Today's announcement included this tidbit though:

"Expanding delta.com functionality to include fare search, refund and reissue transactions. Delta's goal is to migrate 50 percent of its customer transactions to delta.com by the end of 2005."

I am not a sanctioned representative of Delta on these boards, just an interested participant. I'm only here trying to shed light on DL issues brought up on this board and to provide my opinion and/or to try to answer Qs. I do work for Delta, but I don't represent DL's final word when answering a question (in any capacity). Please e-mail Customer Care with your questions to get a corporately-supported reply. www.delta.com/email
It is my understanding that these fees are extremely unpopular with the customers of these airlines. I remember reading somewhere that NW or CO had already removed these fees shortly after implementing them.

I do hope that DL does not decide to "monkey-do" on this. I agree with Canarsie on the 1000 SM bonus - I've already received 4 or 5 of these bonuses so far this year (tho they are very slow to post) and expect to book several more.

JavaJunkie
... a true caffiend
Old Sep 12, 2004, 5:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Delta has got to do something to set itself apart from its legacy airline competitors. This would be one good place to do it. I would publicly declare this fee off limits and declare so in my advertising, e.g., At Delta, you'll NEVER pay a fee to talk to one of our agents!

At the same time, however, you aggressively improve your website to the point that it can handle virtually every transaction that is routinely done, then offer either discounts or mileage bonuses to people to use it.

For example, I hate to think how many thousands of hours are spent each year with customers trying to find award seats on international or partner itineraries that can't be booked online. This is a dead waste. This is fixable. Spend the programming time and money needed to add this functionality, and many of us will seldom have to call a res agent again. This would pay for itself in the first month.

If I can go through the Sabre availability tool to look for award seat inventory on South African Airways, then that tells you that Delta could add this functionality to its website, plus the ability to book that itinerary and ticket it. Given that this is a transaction whereby the airline derives no money (i.e., it's an award ticket), this is the very first type of transaction to drive away from res agents and to the internet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.