Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Palo Alto, CA [Master Thread]

Old Apr 9, 2003, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Westin Palo Alto, CA [Master Thread]

I recently stayed at the Westin Palo Alto after acquiring a Starwood Amex that gave me complimentary Preferred Plus status and was disappointed with Starwood's communication system all around. First, I called the hotel directly on the day that I was to arrive to confirm late check-in and they told me they had a smoking room for me, in spite of the fact that my profile says I'm a non-smoker. When I told them taht I had a profile filled out with SPG, they told me that the recod did not automatically list my preferences, in spite of them being able to find my preferences after searching. Secondly, I told them I was a Preferred Plus and was hoping for an upgrade. They told me that I was upgraded to a "Preferred Room". When I asked them how it differed from a traditional room, they admitted that all the suites were occupied, so that an upgrade in this intsance would consist of a room with nicer bathrobes and a nicer brand of shampoos, soaps and toiletries. When I got to the hotel, they again told me the room was a "Preferred Room" but when I saw the room, it was just a standard. When I told the front desk about it, they brought up the higher-end Westin Molten Brown brand toiletries in a plastic bag, but told me that I would have to request it every day rather than housekeeping automatically cleaming my room with the correct features. What's the point of being a Preferred Plus guest when you have to manage every detail of your experience on your own?
Old Apr 9, 2003, 12:52 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
As far as I understand it, Preferred Plau memebers are not entitled to any sort of upgrades, other than preferred rooms. Isn't this reserved for Gold or Platinum? Can't just anyone become a Prefrred Plus member since it doesn not require any stays.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 1:01 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Starwood Lurker addressed the benefits of Preferred Plus and Corporate Preferred in this thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/005576.html

Indeed there is no mention of upgrades to suites other than Preferred rooms.
Mack2897, if this is your first experience with SPG, please give them a chance. They treat their elites very well sometimes even beyond the call of duty. I don't know if you've noticed him yet, but Starwood Lurker is a valuable asset to the Starwood board here on FT and he's here to assist you if you have any problems.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 5:23 am

It's a nice property, if there's a bad room there, I've never seen it .. you can occaisionally find relatively inexpensive weekend rates here, if your stay extends over a weekend night. Sometimes the weekend rates are applicable on Thursday night if you also stay Friday night. The Sheraton next door is much cheaper, but it's also not nearly as nice as the Westin.

-David
Old Apr 21, 2003, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

I was wondering if the computers and management at the Westin Palo Alto and Sheraton Palo Alto are linked (the properties are right next to each other). I need to travel to Palo Alto pretty often and would like to switch back and forth between the two based on pricing and was wondering if each of the hotels would know that I am a frequent guest. Thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 4:24 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mack2897:
I was wondering if the computers and management at the Westin Palo Alto and Sheraton Palo Alto are linked (the properties are right next to each other). I need to travel to Palo Alto pretty often and would like to switch back and forth between the two based on pricing and was wondering if each of the hotels would know that I am a frequent guest. Thanks.</font>
I believe that they use the same business office for both hotels, so it is very likely.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:15 am

Can someone direct me to the name and contact information of this property's GM? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:30 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
The database lists John C. Turner as the GM for this property. The hotel phone number is 650-324-4422 and the only published email address is for the reservations department at [email protected].

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:50 pm

Thumbs up Westin Palo Alto, CA [Master Thread]

I always check if I can find a rate at the Westin Palo Alto within my companies guidelines. I usually can't, and end up staying one night at the sister Sheraton next door to the Westin, but I was able to book refundable/cancellable one night rates at $139 for Thursday night stays in Feb and March.

Consider this a heads up. $139 is a great rate for this property.

-David
Old Feb 28, 2005, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; SPG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I always check if I can find a rate at the Westin Palo Alto within my companies guidelines. I usually can't, and end up staying one night at the sister Sheraton next door to the Westin, but I was able to book refundable/cancellable one night rates at $139 for Thursday night stays in Feb and March.

Consider this a heads up. $139 is a great rate for this property.

-David
David, How would you compare the two properties? I'll be staying at one or the other on award points. I notice the Sheraton has a free breakfast and evening appetizers, which I appreciate, but I imagine the Westin is a nicer hotel.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:11 am

Hands down no contest, the Westin is the one. It's very new, nicely appointed, nicely furnished large size rooms with the heavenly beds, big bathrooms, etc. They have some suites, but they are all non-smoking. They have a couple of suites on the ground level floor which have sliding doors that open to a small courtyard. If you're a smoker looking for an upgrade you can try for one of those rooms. I had a fireplace ground level suite one time. It was very nice. Gas fireplace .. flick the switch on and you have a nice fire. But even the regular rooms are great at this property.

The Sheraton is an older property. It does have the updated bedding. The Sheraton eliminated smoking rooms when they did their last soft upgrade. If you're a smoker, you can ask for a patio room or a balcony room. The only plus there is the club level lounge.

Both properties have excellent staff and good service. Both have pools/ The properties are literally right next to each other .. in fact they share the same parking lot.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Mar 1, 2005 at 3:18 am
Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I would agree that the Westin is much nicer.

That rate of $139 is awesome. I am trying to book in May and the best rate I can find is like $269. In order to get an extra stay over two nights, I am staying way the **** over in Newark at the W.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Without a doubt the Westin. It also has an underground garage vs. outdoor parking at the Sheraton. I don't think I've stayed at the Sheraton once since the Westin opened.

The nicest rooms at the Westin are either the fireplace suites that LIH Prem referred to (those also have a whirlpool tub and a shower for two, at least the one I stayed in did) or the "tower suites" which are at the corners of the hotel and have a huge outdoor patio. They're quite a hike to get to from the elevator, but well worth the walk, I think.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:31 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
These are great rates for what is definitely the preferable of the two hotels.

I even got these significantly lower rates at the Westin P/A to come up with the buy 2 get the third night free promo (free nights worldwide link that's been up on SPG for a while now http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot...promoCode=X3M). So you can bring this property down to about $100 a night for three nights. That's a great deal, considering i have just one night booked there next week and the best rate i can find is $260.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 2:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I stay at the Westin 6-10 times per year, if they aren't sold out when I am in Palo Alto.

On my last two stays I have received suite upgrades, once to a fireplace suite.(very nice) and once to a guest office suite (not bad, except the TV doesn't quite face the bed so unless you are an albatross, you can't really change channels lying down).

On the second of two recent stays, I was informed that I was being upgraded to a tower suite but that my room would take a few minutes to finish cleaning (I was told the room number). An hour later I was finally given my room keys to find that it was actually a guest office. Not bad, but for the hour back I would have taken a regular room instead. I was really looking forward to a tower suite so that I could claim a presence in all known room types at the hotel. It's the little things that make me happy

Matt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.