Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online Booking Bonus going to expire?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2005, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Online Booking Bonus going to expire?

We are all so entralled by Ding and other features and benefits that it seems like the online booking bonus is going to expire without another extension?

It seems like less then a year ago we were getting 4 credits for online booking of roundtrips, now...unless I have missed something we will be getting the same 2 credits regardless of how we book.

As long as there are other ways to get the credits and work towards CP I can live, but it is soooo much more fun to book when you feel like you are getting something extra for it.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:18 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
WN: Straighten up and fly right!

The fate of online bonus credit has not yet been decided. Such indecision, repeated at each expiration date, is very much out of corporate character for Southwest.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:34 pm

Or maybe it has been decided and it's a big fat NO!!!!! That would be absolutely terrible. Maybe that's why they're giving such great Ding deals right now, to divert our attention away from complaining about online booking bonuses.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:54 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Just got a "RAPID REWARDS E-MAIL UPDATE". Guess what?

Nope. Not a word on extending the online booking bonus. This is getting depressing...
Old Mar 10, 2005, 11:08 am

Programs: Amtrak slumbercoach value club
It's also no longer on the main Rapid Rewards page online under "what's new" - you have to click on "promotions" to find it.

Indeed, things are not looking good.

Originally Posted by nsx
Just got a "RAPID REWARDS E-MAIL UPDATE". Guess what?

Nope. Not a word on extending the online booking bonus. This is getting depressing...
Old Mar 10, 2005, 1:08 pm

I think WN LUVS U doesn't want to be the bearer of bad news so he/she's not saying anything!! Please tell us it's not so WN LUVS U!!!!
Old Mar 10, 2005, 1:53 pm

I fly WN alot, but eliminating these bonuses will probably make me think twice about using sw...I barely re-earned my companion pass this last year, and will not this year if these expire. Like many business travelers, I have great latitude in choosing where to spend my travel dollars...I think southwest may be getting complacent with regards to keeping its customer base happy.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 9:12 pm

Programs: CO Plat, DL Million Miler
I barely got my CP after SW cut the RR credit from 4 to 3 per R/T. If they reduce it further, I know I won't earn CP status again, so I'll just quit flying them.

The RR program is great, but being able to earn miles for international reward travel on some other airlines is great, too. And I'm at the point where I'd like to do more travel outside the US anyway.

I really like SW, but if they de-value the RR program, than I have to de-value SW...it cuts both ways.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 6:49 am

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
Let me just add my voice to the chorus and say that if the on-line bonus disappears, I would definitely reduce my flying on WN. I'm sure I'd still fly them some, but with UA giving lots of bonus mile and elite qualification offers, they'd definitely win more of my business....as long as they're still around. Frankly, I'd rather see a small fare increase than losing the on-line booking bonus.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:28 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
I'm not sure if I'd reduce my flying on WN all that much if they got rid of the online booking bonus. It's just that my travels tend to take my on WN routes, which I considered pretty lucky. But if they do get rid of the bonus, I'm definitely going to always consider every option, not just go straight to the WN site. Eight round trips ... well, I can fly a major for that. It would be sad indeed.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bnrdad
I really like SW, but if they de-value the RR program, than I have to de-value SW...it cuts both ways.
Very well put. I feel the same way.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Those that say they would fly WN less or shop others more proactively - didn't you already do that when the bonus droped from 2X to 1.5X? Doesn't sound like it - so the threat appears to be somewhat empty. I'm sure WN is banking on that.

I definitely shop around even with a 1.5X. Though even at 1.0X WN>HP !
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Those that say they would fly WN less or shop others more proactively - didn't you already do that when the bonus droped from 2X to 1.5X?
I actually have looked around and shifted a decent amount of my business away from SWA. I dropped the RR Visa when they devalued it from 1RR = $1000 spent to 1 RR = $1200 spent. And then after the 1/1/04 devaluation, I shifted enough of my business away from SWA that I probably won't requalify for a CP this year (my current one expires ~July 2005) for the first time in 3 or 4 years. Oh well, I look at it in terms of dollars, and I go with what seems to be the best total package for me. It used to be SWA was the best total pacckage almost always (except transcon flights) prior to to 1/1/04. Now it's worse and seemingly getting more worse in the next couple months. At least they have sucked me back in with Ding a bit. I'll be booking several of my flights via Ding when the Ding fares finally show up for my city pairs. At least I fly enough that I can get to 16 credits in a year without a problem. Many others (my family members for instance) will have no chance to get 16 credits in one year. I'll steer them away from SWA if I know they won't fly 8 RTs in a year and I can get the same city pair flight for a similar price as WNs fares. Heck, maybe cutting back my WN flying will start to get me targeted for more promos!!!!
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:29 pm

Programs: *G on UA, LuV
yep, the devalued RR credits, have stopped me flying SWA, I was going to take advantage of the fly two get one free, but no travel in March, and previously I would have primed the pump with some fun travel. Southwest may be focussing on the occasional traveller who buys the cheapest ticket, without worry to awards...

I am not going to make companion this year (first time in 3 years)....
Old Mar 11, 2005, 3:08 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
Just a thought

Mabey WN is waiting until March 15th when the Freddie voting polls are closed to announce the demise of the online credit bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.