Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Everything I Needed to Know in Kindergarten, I Learned at the Palm Springs Gayla II!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything I Needed to Know in Kindergarten, I Learned at the Palm Springs Gayla II!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2005, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!

These are some things that I LEARNED and that OTHERS LEARNED.

For the sake of saving face, saving grace and saving myself, WHO learned WHAT is not necessarily in this post. (If you read all the other posts in all the other forums you can probably figure these out. That, or just come to the Palm Springs Gayla III, 2006 and be IN on the KNOW. So let’s get to it, as these CAPS are starting to IRRITATE me.

-Prince Albert is NOT in a can.
(That one just needed to be said first. )

-Wireless was in the can.
(We have pics! Does he know that?).

-I do not know how to spell bougainviellia.

-Most FlyerTalkers can be pretty generous.

-Randy Petersen can impress a crowd from 1000 miles away! Albeit with a personal, handwritten note and some Official FlyerTalk gifts. (Thank you, Randy!)

-InnExile is prettier at night and at night, maybe, you can’t see the stains on the carpet.
-DO NOT bring a blacklight. You will not sleep. “But it's so dark there, you can’t SEE anything at night!" (**Sigh** ... that’ s the point!) “And besides, there wasn’t even a bottle of wine in the room waiting for me!”

-SNA is a really cute airport. Like, 6 gates.

-You can drive 80mph from SNA to Palm Springs. And vice versa.

-If your watch stops and you don’t know it, you can make it to SNA in 1 hour and 15 minutes.

-If your new, handsome, very good friend is not done packing and you are leaving the hotel when he should have already left, ask him, “Did your watch stop”?-

-If you are seated next to your new, handsome, very good friend at dinner, check your seat to see if he has spilled anything on it.

-For tips on dating, PM dhammer53 if you would like your head pushed into very big boobs and it does not matter if the boobs are on a man.

-For tips on dating, PM rbernheim if you would like to bring two gorgeous females. (They were very much not men.) You can still have your head pushed into big boobs...but they will be the fake boobs on a man, not the gorgeous ladies' boobs and just not as much pushing of face and head as dhammer53 got.

-For tips on dating, PM kudzu if you want to stay away from boobs but pecs are OK. Very, very nice pecs.

-For tips on dating, do not PM me.

-To ride in a hot, hot car, you have to be nice to lisamcgu.

-lisamcgu know what she wants and how to get it. She is a smart, strong woman and woe to the waiter that crosses her!
Or the “Oh-I've never-been-a-waiter ... I-am-just-helping-out-my-friends-for-brunch” waiter in our case.

-olafman should always wear muscle shirts. Trust us on this one.

-jockdAAddy’s handle is not "jockdAAddy" because he is a jock.

-jockdAAddy is really funny when he is drunk.

-bluesincenew has never posted on FT.

-StSebastian, bluesincenew’s husband makes up for bluesincenew’s lack of posting. He will soon be an Evangelist.

-StSebastian is really smart.

-GLBT FTers: These people are really good looking.

-These people can DRINK.

-Grey Goose is too expensive to serve this group.

-Ralph’s Supermarket sells Ketel One until closing.

-peteropny knows where Ralph's Supermarket is.

-Ralph's Supermarket thinks peteropny is a lush.

-GLBT FTers will drink lemon drops before they drink tequila shots.

-The butch-er the guy, the more apple-tinis they will drink.

-lisamcgu could renamed lemondropmcgu.

-Str8 guys drink chocolate martinis.

-jockdAAddy likes chocolate martinis.

-jockdAAddy is not srt8.

-The Villa’s martini glasses are waaaaaay too big.

-Bougainviella has prickers.

-Cacti has prickers.

-Gay thrift stores have all sorts of pretty decorations.

-Salmon on blue tortillas with a touch of creme fraiche and cilantro is not a good h’ors d’ouvre. People do not like it, regardless of whether the Ritz-Carlton serves it.

-People like chips.

-People like CHPs.

-People get tired of Ritz-Carlton stories.

-If you are the host, people will listen to your stories and act like they like them.

-Apparently, you can smuggle a joint through the TSA but you cannot, after April, smuggle a lighter through the TSA.

-A joint and a lighter, wrapped in a gold box and tied with a gold ribbon, and sitting on the gift swap table, looks just like a Nordstrom's gift, except that it does not say “Nordstrom’s” on it.

-There is no Nordstrom’s in Palm Springs, anyway.

-The more expensive a “swap gift”, the more someone will try and get back their own gift.

-Always have lisamcgu and Aluminum tubing at your “swap gift” parties.

-$100 would have won the swap gift “best prize” prize. (Hint, hint for next year).

-Some FTers will put on a dress, heels and make-up but they won’t put on a kimono...they would rather donate it as a swap gift.

-FTers really like kimonos.

-FTers really like money as a gift.

-FTers who don’t live in the south don’t appreciate Krispy Kreme Coupons.

-Lynn loves h’ors d’ouvres.

-Jackie loves h’ors d’ouvres.

-rbernheim loves Lynn and Jackie.

-Lynn and Jackie love me.

-I need to have h’ors d’ouvres at next year’s dinner. :P

-The Red Tomato does not have a stage.

-Aluminum tubing is industry”code” for working in an airplane/on an airline.

-F/A’s are more likely than pax to be in the mile high club.

-3 people can fit in most airplane lavs.

-If you have a charming scottish brogue you can get away with almost anything...like staring at the backs of guy's chaps ALL NIGHT LONG. (And we don't mean the chaps)

-Some Scots have not been to the leather bars in AMS.

-RyanAir or EasyJet must fly to AMS from EDI. Maybe via some backroom somewhere.

-The Barracks does not have a backroom but later they don't need one as it gets pretty dark. Or ugly dark as the case may be. Sort of like the bars in AMS... which you can get to from EDI.

-If you sit in a sauna at All Worlds you will meet muscle boyz. Probably 3 times.

-If you leave the restaurant with your group you should leave via the same door.

-Meeting muscle boyz in the sauna might make up for getting yelled at for leaving via a wrong door.

-2 gauge is about this big: (----)

-What dfwoods learned: “yes and 2 gauge”.

-F on a 747 is better than F on a 777.

-Non FTers like winning amenity kits as they never get them otherwise.

-Good drag queens are expensive.

-Large, good drag queens are really, really expensive.

-You get what you pay for.

-GLBT FTers know the words to a lot of drag queen songs.

-dhammer53 and rbernheim know the words to a lot of drag queen songs.

-Some FTers sing better than others.

-Ask ahead of time for a good waiter. Tip him/her ahead of time. If said waiter asks, “What’s THAT for?”, they are not a good waiter.

-A box of candles weighs 38#.

-Regardless of what the UA Prem Exec benefits website says, GA’s in BWI will not let you have more than 50# luggage.

-If you bring a copy of the Prem Exec Benefits Website Page with you, a UA GA will not look at it.

-Dollar Rent A Car has no grace period. Even in PHX.

-missydarlin does NOT live in Alaska.

-peteropny will drop whatever he is doing and help and never, never complain. Well, almost.

-They were right, dfwoods is a doll.

-There is a vinyl LP record album that exists titled, “I Love Paris”.

-Thrift stores in Palm Springs sell vinyl LPs.

-LP album covers from the 50’s make great “Martini Party” decorations.

-If the Martini Party decorations have your friend’s FT handle on it you get points.

-Vinyl LP album covers do not have prickers like bougainveilla does and therefore are easier to decorate with.

-Foady and umguy can burn a mean dance CD.

-The queens in bungalow 64 do not appreciate mean dance CD’s.

-sftrvlr is the reason we had the Martini Party. It is his legacy, now. (He posted it as a suggestion/joke a hundred years ago.)

-sftrvlr is famous for mixing martinis in the Castro, SF.

-There are enough SFO based GLBT FTers that one of them can hostess a Gayla there.

-Do not let drunken str8 women crash your party unless they contribute to the “kitty”.

-Drunken str8 women like to sleep on beds of river rock. Because they (the rocks) are soooooo comfortable.

-Viajero Joven is the ideal FTer roomate.

-If your roomate snores, setting the A/C unit on “FAN” drowns out the snoring.

-You don’t have to set the A/C unit on “FAN” if your roomate does not come in until 10am the next morning.

-Some FTErs will leave you presents on your doorstep if you are a funny, sweet, hot, str8 woman with nice boobs.

-This will not happen to you EVEN IF YOU ARE THE HOST. But you will read about it in some random post and have your heart broken.

-LA does not have outhouses.

-Barns do not have toliets.

-People do not sleep in barns. COWS sleep in barns.

-If you make 3am phone calls, you must expect 8am retribution phone calls even if you did not get to bed because you were hottubbing until 5am.

-Kyushu is a small island off the coast of Japan

-kyushuman is not short for Kentucky USA Human.

-If you guess people’s handle wrong they will never leave gift bags on your door step.

-Most jewelry can be removed easier with a little spit.

-Most jewelry is a little warm to the touch when removed.

-Most jewelry has no flavor. Well, maybe a small metallic flavor.

-Man-made fire logs have something in them that is sort of sticky and really burns and sticks to you when the logs burn. But they do not have prickers like bougainviella.

-Guys from Connecticut tan really easy.

-Even cuties can be shy.

-Hugo is a pretty name.

-Some cute boys just need to come to town a day earlier, stay at The Villa and have Martinis!

-Tanned boys from LA would be redundant if they weren’t so cute, cute, cute.

-You can flirt with your friend’s bf if you DON'T REALIZE he is your friend’s bf because you are scatter-brained and your friend talks in code a lot that everyone else seems to understand but you. If you do know the cute guy is your friend’s bf, then stop. But, if, now the cute bf thinks it was all an innocent game and is now flirting back, you are going to be very embarrassed.

-Even though you might put your foot in your mouth(or WHATEVER), flirt with the wrong guy, spill things and forget to put the sour in the apple-tinis sometimes, your friends will still be your friends. FlyerTalk is about miles, but is about Miles and Community, most of all.

This is what I learned, others learned and you can learn from: The Palm Springs Gayla II, 2005.

Joe

Last edited by GoodKarmaGuy; Mar 15, 2005 at 8:27 pm
Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Shall I add:

- Never freely admit to carrying a Rapid Rewards card, even if you're a UA 1P

- "Starbucks gift card" is meaningless if you don't know how much is on it

- Non-FTers sometimes don't get it...even if they're cute

- All restrooms are Unisex, especially when two FT-partyers are in the Men's together

- It may be 90 degrees in Palm Springs, but it can still be hella cold (70?) in Cabazon
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:23 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
and just a few more..

-TSA approved PA's are apparently not easy to find.

- Sometimes you're going to stand behind men in the Womens bathroom line

- Sometimes there IS no women's bathroom...its a "Single use restroom"

- Despite your best intentions, some FTers just won't listen and will stay at the Vagabond Inn anyway.

- sometimes your cleavage will be mistaken for a cupholder by people who host gaylas

- morning sickness acupressure techniques work well to stave off the imminent hurling of your traveling companion.

- sometimes people will promise to bring earplugs and they won't.

- Even if the host says he really doesn't need any help setting up, he probably does.

- nonrevving sucks

- Some things are just too expensive for umguy

- Apparently its not necessary to tip your gardener

- FT friends regardless of orientation are wayyy too much fun.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Somebody obviously got NO sleep on Monday night. I would hate to see what you could do if you actually DID take notes! I doubt there is a person who cannot find themselves, whether or not their names are mentioned and thanks for not always mentioning names!

BTW, Joe, you met Hugo at SNA too?

Last edited by ILuvParis; Mar 15, 2005 at 11:35 am
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
No. And that was S-A-U-A-N-A... not SNA.

But then you knew that.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:52 pm

More details on All Worlds?

Could Good Karma Guy provide some more info on All Worlds?

I always enjoy his posts.

May much good karma come his way!
Old Mar 15, 2005, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aeneastwin
Could Good Karma Guy provide some more info on All Worlds?

I always enjoy his posts.

May much good karma come his way!
Merci.

Unfortunately for me, that was not something THAT I LEARNED (thatLes Grand Hommes are in le sauna ).

HOWEVER, after hearing about tout les bon temps, I will stay there the next time just to check it out.

Last edited by GoodKarmaGuy; Mar 15, 2005 at 1:29 pm
Old Mar 15, 2005, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Things I learned:
Although I was warned that last years GAYLA participants were like Star Trek conference attendees without the costumes, the GAYLA II crowd were actually quite fun and interesting.

Our host, GoodKarmaGuy, gets the Olafman 5 Diamond award for excellence. This award has only been given out 4 times before.

The Jeffs are sweet and fun.

Not all Flyertalkers are modest in a hot tub at 4am.

We have a great president and I'm not talking W.

Flyertalkers in general LIKE to talk.

InnExile is a pit (maybe I just never found the concierge lounge!)

Three nights of GAYLA can wipe you out ESPECIALLY if you are in Palm Springs for another conference!

Most flyertalkers that came to the GAYLA travel for leisure and not business.

People actually do mileage runs in Y.

Your third martini does taste better than the second.

Flyertalkers are friendly.

Looking forward to III.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA GLD
Things I learned ...

1. Find wealthy, handsome husband so I can quit my job and stay for all Gayla events next year.

2. Attend martini party that I apparently suggested 100 year ago.

3. Don't miss hanging out (literally) with the FT crowd at the Barracks (just heard the details )

4. Remember not to leave camera on desk at home to photograph Marines in hot tub next year ... and ... why weren't they still in said hot tub when I got back to the hotel after dinner ... preferably fairly well toasted and open to "suggestions" of things to keep them entertained for the evening?

5. Steady-EDI can drive on the "wrong" side of the road.

6. Steady-EDI has excellent taste in hotels. The Hacienda is lovely.

7. I now have 3 Chicago boyz.

8. Enormous drag queen breasts give a good head massage.

9. A Gayla in San Francisco wouldn't be the same as a Galya in Palm Springs, but we could certainly think about it sometime.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 7:23 pm

Programs: *Wood Plat.; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Good Thing I Could Not Attend

Glad I read the Rules posted by GoodKarmaGuy, otherwise I would not know how fat people like me should dress, should act, and should sit. Good thing I was unable to attend the DO...I would hate to sit someplace unacceptable to other FTers.

I will keep this critical information in mind, in case I think of attending another FT GLBT event.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 8:15 pm
In memoriam

Programs: United
Correction

Originally Posted by GoodKarmaGuy

-Guys from Connecticut tan really easy.
Guys from Connecticut are really easy. The tan is incidental.

Thanks, Joe, for organizing a terrific weekend.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KenCT
Correction

Guys from Connecticut are really easy. The tan is incidental.

Thanks, Joe, for organizing a terrific weekend.
NOW you tell us!
Old Mar 15, 2005, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Sometimes comments sound better in my head. The offending part has been removed.

If anyone is offended by any comments please PM me privately.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Somebody obviously got NO sleep on Monday night. I would hate to see what you could do if you actually DID take notes! I doubt there is a person who cannot find themselves, whether or not their names are mentioned and thanks for not always mentioning names!

BTW, Joe, you met Hugo at SNA too?
Ahhh...Hugo. So close but yet so far!

Even though he lives four blocks from me in WeHo, I was not able to give him my email without offending my guest...
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:40 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
-Most jewelry can be removed easier with a little spit.

-Most jewelry is a little warm to the touch when removed.

-Most jewelry has no flavor. Well, maybe a small metallic flavor.
But how does it smell? Like I'm letting that one go...

No more posting right now. I got back after a red-eye with 2 hours sleep and I've been up all day with a crisis at work, so at 1:40am EST it's time to finally go to bed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.