Search

"Ride Report" - KIA Amanti

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2005, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
"Ride Report" - KIA Amanti

So my PC upgrade this weekend was a KIA Amanti. I know we have had a few comments about it, as well as many questions, so I figure I'd start a new series called "Ride Reports" of various cars that people seem to want to know about.

Amanti HomePage - http://www.kia.com/amanti/index.php

Mine is a 2005 with 2500 miles on it. These are Class H cars, in the same league as the G35 and the Avalon and usually runs about $70/day at SEA (I booked a full-size and am paying $17).

The 3.5 liter SOHC engine I believe is a Kia designed motor. It's quite peppy at 200hp / 220lb-ft. The car accelerates better then the Volvo S80. The trannie is a five-speed automatic with manual shift control. Seems to meet the EPA specs of 17 in the city and 25 on the highway based on the trip computer and a ten mile drive back from SEA in light traffic.

It drives quite well on the unpaved macadam we call interstates here in Seattle (highest gas tax in the nation, but you'd never know it driving on our roads) and is quiet at speed. No wind noise, very little tire noise. Handles well in pouring rain, thanks to a double-wishbone front suspension ( ^ ) and a multi-link rear.

Interior is snug, much like the G35. The Avalon is roomier, by far. Seats are eight-way power for the driver and four-way for the passenger, with controls in the doorframes mimicing the seat shape. Very nice and soft leather seats. Seats are heated, with five levels of control.

The sound system is by Infinity, with seven speakers, a six-disc in-dash CD changer, cassette, and AM/FM. Also included in the Leather Package is a power sunroof, a 4" display with clock, radio functions, and trip computer. The side mirrors are heated and auto-tilt down when reversing. I do not know if this car has the ESP stability/traction control program, but it does have anti-lock brakes and brakes very well.

As an H class, I think Hertz is reaching. While it is loaded with the same features as a Lincoln LS (sans the air conditioned seats), and has more features and power (but not room) then a Volvo S80, the G35 has a much better engine and the 2005 Avalon is a quantum leap over the 2004 model, itself having everything the Amanti does and more room by far.

As a YG (Specialty Premium), I could go for it, since it is fancier then the Mercury Sable (itself no more) or the Chevy Impala LS. But I think Hertz is reaching to ask $70/day for this car. I'd rather rent a Lincoln LS for the same price.

Still, if you find one in your slot and don't need to drive more then 50 miles or so, it's a nice machine. If you're on a 200-400 mile journey (as I often find myself on), you are much better off with even a Crown Victoria / Grand Marquis, to say nothing of the G35/Avalon in the H Class (especially if taking three or four people).
Old Mar 26, 2005, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Great recap of the "Korean Mercedes" ^ I liked it better last year when it was a YF. What was your impression of the trunk space? Seemed to me like you could fit a person in there...
Old Mar 27, 2005, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Great recap of the "Korean Mercedes" ^ I liked it better last year when it was a YF. What was your impression of the trunk space? Seemed to me like you could fit a person in there...
The trunk space was quite good, right there with the Nissan Altima and the Taurs/Impala, but of course not as cavernous as the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car.

Not sure you can fit a body in it (I did not do the "missydarlin" test like with my Cadillac DeVille [yes, it will comfortably fit a body]), but it should swallow a decent amount of luggage.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I had this car at ORD last week for my PC UG. I have to say that I enjoyed the car. ^
Old Mar 28, 2005, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
I had one in STL and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. ^
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
It's Korean, but engineered a la Detroit. Big clunky doors and especially trunk take way too much force to close properly

Lots of gadgets and a nice engine though.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I like how wide the doors open. Makes egress and ingress much easier for a car this size.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:08 am
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Hey, I like the idea of ride reports. Any ride report on the Ford Five Hundred?

Despite my general dislike of Kias, perhaps I will try an Amanti someday.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:37 am

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
Great idea. When I get a chance, I'll upgrade my recent report on the Celica GT to fit this format.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 12:07 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
I got one last week in SLC (bump up from a midsize). I was going to one of our plants which is about 45 miles east of Twin Falls, ID, so it's a bit of a haul (2.5 hours). It's certainly a decent-looking car. As I was walking up the #1 Gold row at SLC, I thought for a sec they'd slapped me in a Jag X-Type for some reason - very similar lights and hood.

Driving - this car's got some nice jump to it...I decided to drive it a little hard through morning SLC traffic on my way out of town, and it performed admirably. Quick acceleration from a standing start, and decent pick-up even at highway speeds. Once I got into more rural areas, I let the cruise take over, and had no problems making my way up through the mountains and into Idaho. Even holding it steady in the low-80s, I was right around 23-25 mpg for the drive, according to the trip computer.

Handling was good...I shot through cloverleaf ramps at speeds that would make a Taurus run crying to Uncle Henry. I ended up finishing up my work at the plant early, so when I headed back down to SLC, I overshot a little and took I-80 up to Park City. There was some light snow in the mountains, but the car felt firmly in control of the conditions on the interstate as it wound its way up.

The semi-manual shift system responded pretty well...some cars have a decent lag between when you flick the level and the car responds, but the Amanti shifted well. It did automatic downshifting while braking, and also allowed starting out in 2.

Creature comforts - I found the ride and amenities to be good. Stereo was good, although I found the bass was distorting a little bit too much, even at a flat EQ setting. Seats were comfortable for extended drives, and on the colder mornings, the seat warmers were much appreciated. I think the 5-level heated seats might have been overkill, as 1 was undetectable, and 5 might have rendered me sterile if I sat there too long. Trunk space was decent - I just had my rollaboard, so I didn't strain it, but it seemed comparable to most non-land barge sedans. I didn't have anyone traveling with me, but it seemed like the back seat legroom would have been lacking if someone was sitting behind me (I'm 6'3").

Overall - the car was definitely a worthy upgrade. It's a slightly less-exciting rendition of a Nissan Maxima, which is one of my favorite cars to get from Hertz. In my hierarchy, I'd rank it below the Maxima, but above the Camry and Impala. I'd recommend it.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 1:49 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Ride report- KIA Amanti

I booked a full size at LAX. I drove through the heavy Friday traffic to pick up a friend in Riverside. I then drove to Palmdale to do some biz with my rental properties. Then on to Vegas where I am now at. My friend got a very cheap room this weekend so I provided the car.

The Amanti is quite thirsty on gas. I averaged 20 mpg mixed between sitting in traffic & some open road. I filled up in Lancaster and it took $20 in gas. (route was LAX-Riverside-San Bernardino-Palmdale/Lancaster). I estimate that I will get about 23-24 mpg when I fill up tomorrow. That assumes an average freeway speed of 70 mph. I like all the amenties with the car. The leather seat is a little stiff for me. My friend liked the ride pretty well.

My key tag says it is in the "H" class. I booked F and I just made 5 star. If I had to pay for "H" class, I would take the Toyota Avalon hands down!

I'll have more to say when I return from Vegas later today.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by das
Hey, I like the idea of ride reports. Any ride report on the Ford Five Hundred?
Just had one last week. It reminded me of a slightly larger VW Jetta. Stiffer ride, more upright seating, but cheap feeling. The trunk was big enough to fit a donkey. The radio controls were among the least intuitive I have ever seen.

Is this car in the same category as a Taurus or similar? I didn't reserve it- I had gone back to the counter to get rid of a Chevy that was assigned to me.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fisherman
Is (the Ford Five Hundred) in the same category as a Taurus or similar? I didn't reserve it- I had gone back to the counter to get rid of a Chevy that was assigned to me.
In the retail world, it replaces the Taurus.

However, Ford will continue to make the Taurus specifically for rental fleets, so I imagine the Five Hundred will become a YF - Specialty Fullsize.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 2:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I am back from Vegas. I only got 21 mpg in mostly highway driving. The heated seats work nicely. Nice & warm in #4 and some heat in #3. The car rides nicely on the bumpy side roads around Victorville/Hisperia.

Bottom line: A nice car around town and very thirsty on gas. It was a treat to have the extra features with this car. If I paid for G or H class, I would definitely want an Avalon or G35. If one puts alot of miles on the rental and fuel costs were a consideration, the Avalon is a better choice.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 2:03 pm

I recently had a rental in STL. My reservation was for a midsize and I had a one car class upgrade in hand. I expected a Taurus or equivalent, I was given an Amanti and was very happy with it.

Jay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.